The Education Forum

The Prominent, Professional and Proximate Who Did (Do) Not Accept the Warren Commission 

The Prominent, Professional and Proximate Who Did (Do) Not Accept the Warren Commission 

And an easy-to-relate JFKA narrative for the public

Even at this late date, there are efforts to dismiss the JFKA community, or to define the event as likely the work of long-dead Russians or Castro-Cubans.

What is forgotten today is that a large fraction, perhaps a majority, of those who were prominent, professionally involved or who were proximate to the JFKA also did or do not accept the Warren Commission conclusions—including three of the seven WC members. 

It is striking to ponder that had someone other than ex-CIA chief Allen Dulles effectively sat atop the WC, a majority of the commission may have likely not accepted the key findings. 

So without further adieu, here is a list of the prominent, professional and proximate who did (do) not accept the WC or lone gunman, or even HSCA version of events— 

1. Attorney General Robert Kennedy. Shortly after the JFKA, RFK famously asked CIA Director John McCone if “they”—the CIA—had murdered his brother. RFK is quoted as saying, ”You, know, at the time I asked McCone... if they had killed my brother, and I asked him in a way that he couldn't lie to me, and they hadn’t.” Yes, the shocking reality is that a US Attorney General felt compelled to ask a CIA Director if the intel agency had assassinated a sitting US president. RFK retained doubts until his own assassination. 
  2. Senator Russell Long, from Louisiana. Long’s own father, Senator Huey Long, had been assassinated in 1935. Russell Long thought New Orleans District Attorney James Garrison might be barking up the right tree. Here is fascinating footage:  https://www.efootage.com/videos/90904/senator-possible-jfk-assassination-plot-1967 
  3. Warren Commission members Senator Richard Russell, Georgia; Senator Sherman Cooper, Kentucky; and Congressman Hale Boggs, Louisiana. Here is Russell, in taped conversation with President LBJ on whether LHO was the lone gunman: "I don't believe it.” LBJ responded with the words: "I don't either.” For his part, Boggs posited FBI Chief J. Edgar Hoover had constantly lied the WC, and that the CIA and FBI would never admit LHO had been an asset or informant, if true. Cooper told Kennedy family members he did not believe LHO had acted alone.
  4. President LBJ. See Russell telephone call, and comments to media. 
  5. Texas Gov. John Connally. Connally consistently maintained that on Nov. 22 the first shot struck JFK, the second shot struck himself, and the third struck JFK. The Z-film bears out his recollection, which was also seconded by his wife, who was seated next to him, and several Secret Service members. The insurmountable problem is that there is well less than two seconds between the shot the struck Connally and the final shot to JFK, which is not enough time to have been accomplished by a single-shot bolt action rifle of the type LHO had. 
  6. Secret Service agents Clint Hill, Paul Landis, Bill Greer, all on the scene of the JFKA, all confirm Connally’s recollection of events; three shots, three hits.  All have stated they dismiss the SBT. 
  7. Robert Blakey, Chief Counsel, HSCA (1977-78). At the conclusion of his investigation, Blakey believed there had been a conspiracy to kill JFKA, and two guns in Dealey Plaza, probably Mob-related. Moreover, by 2018 Blakely was citing anti-Castro Cubans and CIA assets Eladio Del Valle and Hermininio Diaz as possible Dealey Plaza gunman, and speaking of the CIA in scatological terms. 
  8. Dr. George Burkley, JFK’s personal physician, present in Parkland emergency room, and then the Bethesda autopsy. In 1977, George Burkley’s lawyer contacted the HSCA and said Burkley “has information in the Kennedy assassination indicating that others besides Oswald must have participated,” and that Burkley was willing to talk. Inexplicably, Burkley was never asked to speak to the HSCA or the WC. 
  9. George de Mohrenschildt. Admitted CIA asset, and LHO’s “friend” and possible handler in Dallas. De Mohrenschildt may have been clued in about the April 1963 “assassination” try on General Edwin Walker, which was also likely ersatz and part of the LHO biography-build. Later de Mohrenschildt wrote an unpublished book and said LHO was a patsy. BTW, De Mohrenschildt said Dallas Mayor Earle Cabell, who was also a CIA asset, was a personal friend. 
  10. Pennsylvania Senator Richard Schweiker. Member of the Church Committee, Schweiker said the WC report had “collapsed like a house of cards,” after having let the CIA and FBI conduct the investigation.  
  11. Texas Senator Ralph Yarborough. Riding in car two back in the motorcade from the presidential limo, Yarborough (also a military veteran) repeatedly said he smelled gunsmoke in the wake of the JFKA, like many other witnesses. He said that about one-and-a-half seconds elapsed between the second shots and the third shots, testimony that roughly lines up with the Z-film. 
  12. Parkland Hospital treating physicians, including Dr. Charles Crenshaw, who stated that “President Kennedy was shot at least once, and I believe twice, from the front.”
  13. Jeremy Gunn, General Counsel at the ARRB, declared in conversation with JFK researcher Doug Horne, “President Kennedy never had an autopsy at Bethesda Naval Hospital---that was not an autopsy.”
  14. David Atlee Phillips. The veteran CIA man, chief of operations for the Western Hemisphere, organizer of PR stunts. Possible handler of LHO. In July, 1986, shortly before his death, he told an interviewer, “My private opinion is that JFK was done in by a conspiracy, likely including American intelligence officers."
  15. Dr Robert Shaw, Connally’s surgeon. Often overlooked, Shaw told the HSCA the bullet that hit Connally had struck cleanly at a slight downward angle, and had not been tumbling. Shaw enlarged the back wound in treatment, confusing some later researchers (including, embarrassingly, HSCA Chief Counsel Robert Blakey). Shaw concluded Connally had been struck by a clean, separate shot from all others. 
  16. FBI agents James Sibert and Francis O’Neill, witnesses to the JFK autopsy, both have dismissed the SBT, due to relatively low position on JFK’s back of a bullet entry wound, which when probed indicated trajectory of 45 degrees to 60 degrees downward. To state the obvious, the bullet would have to make an acute turn inside JFK’s body to exit the throat, but before exiting the throat would have to make another frontward 90-degree turn in order to strike Connally.  And then would have to strike Connally cleanly, sans any tumble. 

What comes through from even this abbreviated review of the prominent, professionals, and frontline observers and evidence, is that at least three separate shots struck JFK and Connally. (There is a probable fourth shot that struck a curb near bystander James Tague, a ricochet from which lightly injured his face.) 

From a review of the Zapruder film frames, it appears that Connally was struck in frame ~296. That is less than one second from the final shot(s) to JFK, at frame 313. That is not enough time for both shots to have been executed by a single-shot bolt action rifle. Most experts say 2.0 seconds to 2.3 seconds is the bare minimum between shots on a single-shot bolt-action rifle.

Conclusion and an Easy-to-Relate Narrative

This simple evidence, that of the short time between the Connally shot and the subsequent JFK shot, presents grounds beyond reasonable doubt that there were at least two guns firing at JFK in Dealey Plaza. 

Add to this evidence the dozens of witnesses, many in law enforcement or military veterans, who smelled gunsmoke in Dealey Plaza in the immediate aftermath of the JFKA. That strongly indicates, arguably beyond reasonable doubt, a gun was fired or  diversionary explosive device was ignited near the presidential limousine as it passed. 

I contend it is the above simple story line that the JFKA should consistently and repeatedly present to the broader public, particularly as we press for full disclosure of remaining documents under the JFK Records Act of 1992, and, even at this late date, a re-opening of the JFKA case.  

However, I criticize no one in the JFKA. To me, criticizing fellow JFKA research and community members is akin to harping on an NFL team for not scoring a touchdown on any particular play. 

The JFKA research community is not alone on the playing field; rather, playing against it is our own US government. 

The FBI has fabricated evidence (CE399), hidden documents, intimidated witnesses. US Navy officers conducted a dubious if not bogus autopsy. The CIA also has hidden documents, bamboozled investigators (Blakey), and has hired feckless mercenaries in media to do its bidding and discredit critics. The federal government has resources and lucre.

In sharp contrast, the JFKA has little money and no media backing. Yet, as David slew Goliath….

Hats off that the JFKA has achieved as much as it has. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole
typo

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

16 Questions on the Assassination, Bertrand Russell, 1964:

http://personal.kent.edu/~rmuhamma/Philosophy/RBwritings/sixteenQues.htm

An overrated philosopher with rich, middle-aged groupies; despite this, you couldn't call him a "researcher."

David A.---Thanks for reading. 

I am not sure how to characterize Bertrand Russell. He raises some excellent points in the piece to which you link. 

10 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

David A.---Thanks for reading. 

I am not sure how to characterize Bertrand Russell. He raises some excellent points in the piece to which you link. 

I know.  I suppose Russell belongs on a World Opinion list with de Gaulle, Sukarno, and others who cried foul from outside the US.  In the Forum back pages, there is quite a lot of discussion of de Gaulle's reaction.  See also the .pdf news item at this address, too large to attach:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi-9aCZ4N3wAhUgGVkFHXczDCsQFjAIegQIDBAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjfk.hood.edu%2FCollection%2FWeisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files%2FD%20Disk%2FdeGaulle%20Charles%20Attitude%20Toward%20JFK%20Assassination%2FItem%2003.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3ADnLf2CbExLpVFLY1-0i-

25 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

A very succinct assessment very early on, by someone with the knowledge, experience and access to information.  Amazing also in the fact that even to this day, the "right" continues to plot, all the while blaming just about everything on the "deep state" or "leftist" provocateurs.

6 hours ago, Richard Price said:

A very succinct assessment very early on, by someone with the knowledge, experience and access to information.  Amazing also in the fact that even to this day, the "right" continues to plot, all the while blaming just about everything on the "deep state" or "leftist" provocateurs.

Richard P.----

Thanks for reading. 

I am not sure there is a clear delineation anymore between "right" and "left" in the US. 

We have Jacob Hornberger, a libertarian, active in the JFKA community and calling for a much smaller national security state and less globalism. 

And you have Hillary Clinton as a globalist warmonger in pant-suits. CNN and MSNBC stuffed full of former CIA and Pentagon officials making assessments on air. Rachel Maddow chortling with Sen. Schumer that the CIA will get Trump. When was the last time a prominent left-winger called for a much smaller global security budget? 

Who has revived the Russians as the Huge Boogeyman? (While mostly going mute on China, where Apple makes their phones, using some materials made with slave labor). 

Who has become censorious, the left or the right? 

No, I am not defending the worst elements of the American right, nor the right-wing of the 1960s-2000.

But the US political scene has changed. 

I advise replacing righteousness with cynicism, when discussing either party. 

7 hours ago, David Andrews said:

I know.  I suppose Russell belongs on a World Opinion list with de Gaulle, Sukarno, and others who cried foul from outside the US.  In the Forum back pages, there is quite a lot of discussion of de Gaulle's reaction.  See also the .pdf news item at this address, too large to attach:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi-9aCZ4N3wAhUgGVkFHXczDCsQFjAIegQIDBAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjfk.hood.edu%2FCollection%2FWeisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files%2FD%20Disk%2FdeGaulle%20Charles%20Attitude%20Toward%20JFK%20Assassination%2FItem%2003.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3ADnLf2CbExLpVFLY1-0i-

David A.

Great news story. de Gaulle may even be right, but I suspect he was largely surmising, due to his own history (as I would in his shoes).  

I was trying to present people with close hands-on knowledge, like Dr. Shaw, or prominent US pols who might have "inside" knowledge, such as RFK, or Russell Long, who was from Louisiana, and might know the local network. The three WC members. 

Dr. Shaw's testimony is amazing. He says a clean, non-tumbling shot struck Connally. He enlarged the governor's back wound in treatment.  This alone raises very serious issues with the SBT. 

14 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I advise replacing righteousness with cynicism, when discussing either party.

I agree Benjamin.  The "dark money" that now almost completely encompasses our politics has for the most part subverted any actual "right" or "left" positions of any of the members of any and all of our so called parties.   Just as has been said about many criminal enterprises, all you have to do is to "follow the money" to find the nexus and origin of most lawmakers positions on just about any topic.  As JFK was once quoted: "Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future."

I don't think I invoked righteousness for one or the other party in all things, they each have their sins, as do we all.  As for cynicism:  "The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities...  JFK 

7 hours ago, Richard Price said:

I agree Benjamin.  The "dark money" that now almost completely encompasses our politics has for the most part subverted any actual "right" or "left" positions of any of the members of any and all of our so called parties.   Just as has been said about many criminal enterprises, all you have to do is to "follow the money" to find the nexus and origin of most lawmakers positions on just about any topic.  As JFK was once quoted: "Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future."

I don't think I invoked righteousness for one or the other party in all things, they each have their sins, as do we all.  As for cynicism:  "The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities...  JFK 

Richard P.--Yes, I did not mean to imply you were on the righteousness bandwagon. 

I should try to not be so cynical.

But I think you are right; money has bought media and academia, and the foundations, think tanks and our political parties. The put BLM on NBA basketball courts and go mute on China. 

BTW, the book "Trade Wars are Class Wars" by Michael Pettis is a great book

Edited by Benjamin Cole
typo

If you look at the discussion of years ago in the Forum back pages, de Gaulle's early, private comment on the DPD was, "All the cops in the world, they're all alike!"  A rough translation, meaning, in context, that they'd all turn their backs to an assassination.

Edited by David Andrews

15 hours ago, David Andrews said:

If you look at the discussion of years ago in the Forum back pages, de Gaulle's early, private comment on the DPD was, "All the cops in the world, they're all alike!"  A rough translation, meaning, in context, that they'd all turn their backs to an assassination.

David A--

de Gaulle was the target of several assassination attempts. He also fought the good fight for a Free France against the Nazis, at real risk to himself.  He was not an armchair moralizer. 

That said, his comments about cops are prejudiced. He may have reasons for his attitude, but I disagree that a conclusion about the JFKA can or should or does upon an anti-cop sentiment. 

In fact, I doubt the Dallas Police Department had much to do with the JFKA, although I think complicity and deference to the FBI set in. 

If, by "cops" de Gaulle is referring to intel agencies, he might rest on more-solid ground, but even so, I dislike blanket statements about any group of people. Not all cops are good or bad, or think alike, just as people of different religions are individuals, or different nationalities.

The grounds for conspiracy in the JFKA, in my assessment, rest upon the readily observed sequence of shots in the Z film, and the timing between the second and third shot (not enough time that is), moreover verified by multiple on-scene witnesses. Add on, gunsmoke in Dealey Plaza. So, we know there was at least two guns firing in Dealey Plaza that day.

This is what the SBT theory, and the removing from the public of the Z film was all about. 

That's my take. De Gaulle is a fascinating figure in history and he may have been right in his dark suspicions. But if he had some real-deal intel, he should have put it down on paper, and published it somehow.  

11 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

That said, his comments about cops are prejudiced. He may have reasons for his attitude, but I disagree that a conclusion about the JFKA can or should or does upon an anti-cop sentiment. 

In fact, I doubt the Dallas Police Department had much to do with the JFKA, although I think complicity and deference to the FBI set in. 

I'd call his comments informed.

Readez-vous the old de Gaulle threads.

Also David Talbot's The Devil's Chessboard.

Edited by David Andrews

I think Fidel was quicker on the ball than de Gaulle.

His broadcast to the Cuban people on the 23rd November '63 was very sharp.

Kennedys And King - Fidel Castro's First Speech on the JFK Assassination, 11/23/1963