The Education Forum

Online Interview with Jim Gochenaur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47bBHH2GaU8

The above Youtube has hardly any views, so I assume it has not been viewed even by readers of this forum. 

The short story is a fellow named Jim Gochenaur had conversations with a Secret Service agent named Elmer Moore in the 1970s. The gist of it is Moore seemed almost contrite about his role in the JFKA cover-up. Although later Moore refused to cooperate with the HSCA. 

Unfortunately, Gochenaur was not allowed to record his conversations with Moore. 

Still, worth a look. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

Gochenaur makes a couple lengthy and impressive appearances in the new Oliver Stone documentary.

Yes, Jim DiEugenio mentioned that in a recent Black Ops radio  'cast.  I have not seen the OS doc yet, and I am eager to see the four-hour version. 

10 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

It is now available on Amazon Prime and Showtime streaming. It will be on TV via Showtime on 11/22/21. It will be on DVD and BLU RAY in February 2022.

Do you or does anybody have the following document digitized:

House Select Committee witness Jim Gochenaur to interviewer Bob Kelley on Gochenaur's conversations with Secret Service agent Elmer Moore. Notes by Bob Kelley on June 6, 1975; pp. 3-4. JFK Record Number 157-10005-10280

I don't think it is.

He sent me that in hard copy as part of the pre-interview process.

Let me say this about Jim G.  

Because I had done the prep work I did the interview with him in LA.  His information was so startling that when Oliver overheard it, he walked out of his office and took a seat next to me and started asking questions also.  So in the transcript, you can briefly see both of us questioning him.  (This will be in the book of the film)

He told us this:  I am revealing more to you than I did the Church Committee.  It was just too disturbing at the time.

He also related to me a weird incident that occurred to him and his then wife after his meeting with Elmer Moore that had an intimidating effect on him.

After doing this interview with him, I am convinced that Moore could have been indicted as an accessory after the fact. I think this is the reason Moore  showed up at the Church Committee hearings with a lawyer in hand.

Edited by James DiEugenio

One of the things we did in the film was to try and show how Moore did the wrong thing-i believe  criminal in nature--and nothing happened to him.

Bolden tried to do the right thing, and he gets indicted and railroaded.

That is how the JFK case works.  The Secret Service was a disgrace in this case. And Blaine can write as many bad books as he likes, it won't go away.

Edited by James DiEugenio

9 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I don't think it is.

He sent me that in hard copy as part of the pre-interview process.

Let me say this about Jim G.  

Because I had done the prep work I did the interview with him in LA.  His information was so startling that when Oliver overheard it, he walked out of his office and took a seat next to me and started asking questions also.  So in the transcript, you can briefly see both of us questioning him.  (This will be in the book of the film)

He told us this:  I am revealing more to you than I did the Church Committee.  It was just too disturbing at the time.

He also related to me a weird incident that occurred to him and his then wife after his meeting with Elmer Moore that had an intimidating effect on him.

After doing this interview with him, I am convinced that Moore could have been indicted as an accessory after the fact. I think this is the reason Moore  showed up at the Church Committee hearings with a lawyer in hand.

Strange that the research community only now seems to be really embracing the Elmer Moore connection. Hopefully soon we can get a scan of 157-10005-10280 .

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

One of the things we did in the film was to try and show how Moore did the wrong thing-i believe  criminal in nature--and nothing happened to him.

Bolden tried to do the right thing, and he gets indicted and railroaded.

That is how the JFK case works.  The Secret Service was a disgrace in this case. And Blaine can write as many bad books as he likes, it won't go away.

So true, Jim. 

Certainly not with you around Vince.

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Jim Gochenaur's point after he describes Moore slamming a gun on the table and exclaiming "Who do you work for?" didn't land for me. What was he trying to imply? Did it get cut out or am I missing something obvious?

8 hours ago, Bob Ness said:

Jim Gochenaur's point after he describes Moore slamming a gun on the table and exclaiming "Who do you work for?" didn't land for me. What was he trying to imply? Did it get cut out or am I missing something obvious?

Dashiell Hammett once wrote: "The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter."  I once read a crime novel (author forgotten) that substituted "cop" for "crook," to good effect.  I was a bit jealous that I hadn't subverted that great line first.

That "show the gun" bit is standard cop comedy, meant to unnerve a suspect or witness.

"Who do you work for?" - more comedy, meant to make Gochenauer feel he was suspected of being some kind of organizational agent in asking Moore questions.  Pulling that gag is meant to give great, paranoiac import to whatever the cop says next.

It's obvious from the whole interview series that Moore was largely playing Gochenauer - offering him a Secret Service position, for instance; telling him his wife looked like Marina Oswald - in an effort to unbalance Gochenauer and find out what he was up to, and what his research had uncovered.

I'm not denigrating Gochenauer's experiences or efforts.  That took guts on his part.  The two main take-aways are Moore's admission that he coerced Dr. Perry, and his revelation about "Little Lynn" Carlin (see my post above).  That, and the interest from another agency that Gochenauer's researches inspired - the men undisguisedly following him.

But, since he's apparently on the fringes of this Forum, or better, someone ask him if my read on Moore isn't substantially correct, give or take some sympathetic motives emerging on Moore's part.

Edited by David Andrews

In the book of the film, it is revealed that Moore had autopsy photos. More than one.

And these photos do not resemble what is in the extant collection.

Moore was a criminal.  

3 hours ago, David Andrews said:

That "show the gun" bit is standard cop comedy, meant to unnerve a suspect or witness.

Yeah I agree but that gag wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about the point Jim G. was trying to make during the interview. He told us the anecdote and it seems something should follow that and never did. The coyote is still danglin' in mid air, so to speak.

Edited by Bob Ness