The Education Forum

Devils Chessboard

David Talbot is a journalist, author, activist and independent historian. David is known for his books about the "hidden history" of U.S. power and the liberal movements to change America, as well as his public advocacy. He was also the founder and former editor-in-chief of the pioneering web magazine, Salon. His book "The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government" about Allen Dulles, the man who transformed the CIA into the most powerful—and secretive—colossus in Washington. 

(Correction in episode I said Harvey file about weak link it’s actually about morales)

Out Of The Blank #1194 - David Talbot

7375BF78-CFEB-41F5-9E7A-C3A0C2AD8246.jpeg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great podcast.  Good points made by both host and guest.

David Talbot's attempts to get William King Harvey's travel records in late 1963 would be very interesting if successful.

I think that when Allen Dulles told a reporter that "That little Kennedy thought he was a god", it revealed something about Dulles. Like the true toxic narcissist he was, he was projecting his own belief that only Dulles could be a "god".

I  liked The Devil's Chessboard, I read it twice and took over 40 pages of notes.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-reviews/the-devil-s-chessboard-by-david-talbot

Edited by James DiEugenio

Everyone should watch this.  Brothers/Chessboard are essential to understanding.  I've not followed him since but it's great to see David espousing like this after his stroke.  I wondered if he'd ever come back to this level of clarity.  Congratulations to him.  Thanks again Robbie.  Notes in a day or two.

Devil’s Chessboard is a great book. It’s not only fascinating and informative but it’s also just fun to read. Talbot’s writing style is very engaging and entertaining IMO. I ripped through the book in like two sittings. Certain parts - the section on Eugen Dollmann stands out - were like reading a thriller novel. Great stuff. 

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Everyone should watch this.  Brothers/Chessboard are essential to understanding.  I've not followed him since but it's great to see David espousing like this after his stroke.  I wondered if he'd ever come back to this level of clarity.  Congratulations to him.  Thanks again Robbie.  Notes in a day or two.

He was one of the highlights of Oliver's film.

We shot him in Frisco, with me doing the interviewing. After, the tech guys--sound and camera--asked me:  Jim is the next guy as good as he was.

I guess that explains why I saw him and Oliver Stone having dinner at a Posh SF restaurant shortly after release of Destiny Betrayed film.

Brothers and Devil’s Chessboard are two of the best books. It’s hard to argue with his basic thesis in the latter, as he articulates in this interview, that Allen Dulles was central to the plot. Also his inability to get Harvey’s travel records is very telling. Of Harvey was the point man for a hit team, we are back to QJWIN and the intersect of the Anti Castro Cubans and their CIA/military handlers with the European fascist networks and Gladio, something Dulles would have been very familiar with. 

On 8/23/2022 at 4:50 PM, Henry Frost said:

I think that when Allen Dulles told a reporter that "That little Kennedy thought he was a god", it revealed something about Dulles. Like the true toxic narcissist he was, he was projecting his own belief that only Dulles could be a "god".

What Dulles was saying was, "I'm the only god around here. That little Kennedy was just a wannabe who needed to be put in his place."

3 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

What Dulles was saying was, "I'm the only god around here. That little Kennedy was just a wannabe who needed to be put in his place."

Exactly.  That's what I meant.  Just consider a few of the regime changes the CIA and Dulles were involved in:  Iran, Indonesia, the Congo-Leopoldville and murder of Patrice Lumumba.  The manipulation of the President(s) which led to the Bay of Pigs and on and on.  Dulles really thought he could control the lives of millions of lives at home and abroad.

In case you haven't had a chance to watch the video or read the book yet, here are three takeaways that struck me:

• The pieces on the chessboard include Richard Helms, James Angelton, Howard Hunt, Curtis LeMay and Bill Harvey.  Basically the very people who could have pulled off such a crime.
  • Trying to get Bill Harvey's travel records to ascertain if his "kill team" was operational in Dallas.
  • A quote by David Talbot which stuck with me: the assassination of JFK "was done quite coldly, and I think, with contempt, for him, for his family, for the country".

As a "newbie" (I fell in to this after the 2018 releases) I found that The Devils Chessboard enabled me to quickly see a very clear motive for the JFKA which tied together those that stood to lose the most from JFK's policies (the Power Elite and the infrastructure that supported their objectives) and those who were capable of pulling off a successful assassination. 

Dulles was the central figure to this.

The background to Dulles shows that he was able to justify absolutely any action if he believed it was for the good of the interests of the Power Elite (and by definition it would be good for the USA).

The fact he was appointed to the WC and was the most active member is an insult to mankind.

7 hours ago, Mart Hall said:

As a "newbie" (I fell in to this after the 2018 releases) I found that The Devils Chessboard enabled me to quickly see a very clear motive for the JFKA which tied together those that stood to lose the most from JFK's policies (the Power Elite and the infrastructure that supported their objectives) and those who were capable of pulling off a successful assassination. 

Dulles was the central figure to this.

The background to Dulles shows that he was able to justify absolutely any action if he believed it was for the good of the interests of the Power Elite (and by definition it would be good for the USA).

The fact he was appointed to the WC and was the most active member is an insult to mankind.

Glad you read this book - good intro for sure. Amazing that the NYT didn’t review it.

I re watched this tonight for details on what I remembered.  I think it worthy of such.  So much info in it.  Sort of a Brothers, Chessboard, plus the years since them hour long synopsis.  A lot of detail, succinct, not rambling.

Imagine, over lunch with Dr., Emeritus, U C Berkley, P. D. Scott tells you . . .

In early 1963 as a young newer professor as a result of prior experience as a Canadian Diplomat I was invited to a dinner at the Hoover Institute, a conservative affair at which Allen Dulles was the speaker.  I was appalled (?) at the words denouncing the president.  Then a cleric from Eastern Europe rose and said, silence.  "The old man will take care of it".

Dr. Scott thought of Joe Kennedy Sr. initially.  David noted he had a stroke by then, in a wheelchair, unable to communicate effectively.  The old man was Dulles, still in control of his loyal former employees from home or at the Farm.       

Edited by Ron Bulman

More about William Harvey from David Talbot from an earlier interview, paraphrasing: William Harvey was seen, by his own deputy, leaving his Rome station flying to Dallas early in November 1963. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-fJ9V3tZV8&t=124s

If I can play the devil's advocate (ha ha) for a minute, was Dulles at the Farm before the assassination or after?  Obviously if he was there before, it could indicate he had some foreknowledge something was going to happen. If he went there after, it could be to start the cover up process and tie up loose ends (like getting Ruby to silence Oswald).

Interestingly, Dulles' calendar, which Talbot used in his book, no longer has the 1963 entries.

https://twitter.com/lisapease/status/1401296867590238208

Edit: I confirmed what Lisa says in her tweet by going to the Princeton site myself. I could not find calendar appointments for Dulles for 1963:

https://findingaids.princeton.edu/catalog/MC019-09

Edited by Henry Frost
where's the calendar info?