The Education Forum

ATTN: James DiEugenio

Do you happen to know why or have a theory on why Oliver Stone is not a member of our Education Forum?

With so many prominent folks here,you would think that he & Doug Horne would be included.

Edited by Michael Crane

1 hour ago, Michael Crane said:

Do you happen to know why or have a theory on why Oliver Stone is not a member of our Education Forum?

With so many prominent folks here,you would think that he & Doug Horne would be included.

Oliver Stone is a busy man. I doubt he reads any of the forums or keeps up with new discoveries re the assassination beyond checking in with Jim D from time to time. 

Many of the most prominent members of the research community are of a similar mindset. Avoid the internet at all costs. I have met and dined with and even spent the night at the house of some of the big names in CT land, and they will call me up to ask me a question about something that I discuss in detail on my website. And what I say will come as a surprise. They know I know something about whatever it is they are calling me about, but have never taken the time to read my website or watch my videos. 

There's a bubble in CT land much as there's a bubble in this country. While "prayer man" is a big deal on this and other forums, I assure you that if you get together the 10 most prominent CTs in the media, and the 10 most prominent CTs who speak at conferences, "prayer man" will barely come up. The talk will be about John Newman's new discovery or an upcoming mock trial or Gary Aguilar's rebuttal to Lucien Haag's article in some obscure forensic publication. It's pretty much a closed loop. And there's a reason for this...

People like me. This forum was founded by John Simkin, who went out of his way to invite some of the most prominent writers and personalities in JFK land to the forum. He allowed others to join, if they behaved themselves. But many didn't. Most prominent people have prominent egos and this leads to their reluctance to engage on a level playing field. Similarly, newbie know-nothings are all too anxious to confront or insult someone more prominent than themselves so they can make their bones and brag about how they "owned" so and so. I, myself, have some remorse over confronting Mark Lane over something. I suspect he left the forum as a result. But I don't feel too bad about it. If it wasn't me it would have been someone else. 

Oliver Stone is already off on his new film trying to promote it. I think it open at the Venice FIlm Festival and its about energy based on the book A Bright Future if I recall.

In fact, he was working on it while we were finishing off JFK Revisited.

What will happen now is that whenever something JFK ish strikes his fancy, he will call me and ask me about it.

But as far as joining EF, nope.  He does do a lot of posts at FB.

2 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

Oliver Stone is a busy man. I doubt he reads any of the forums or keeps up with new discoveries re the assassination beyond checking in with Jim D from time to time. 

Many of the most prominent members of the research community are of a similar mindset. Avoid the internet at all costs. I have met and dined with and even spent the night at the house of some of the big names in CT land, and they will call me up to ask me a question about something that I discuss in detail on my website. And what I say will come as a surprise. They know I know something about whatever it is they are calling me about, but have never taken the time to read my website or watch my videos. 

There's a bubble in CT land much as there's a bubble in this country. While "prayer man" is a big deal on this and other forums, I assure you that if you get together the 10 most prominent CTs in the media, and the 10 most prominent CTs who speak at conferences, "prayer man" will barely come up. The talk will be about John Newman's new discovery or an upcoming mock trial or Gary Aguilar's rebuttal to Lucien Haag's article in some obscure forensic publication. It's pretty much a closed loop. And there's a reason for this...

People like me. This forum was founded by John Simkin, who went out of his way to invite some of the most prominent writers and personalities in JFK land to the forum. He allowed others to join, if they behaved themselves. But many didn't. Most prominent people have prominent egos and this leads to their reluctance to engage on a level playing field. Similarly, newbie know-nothings are all too anxious to confront or insult someone more prominent than themselves so they can make their bones and brag about how they "owned" so and so. I, myself, have some remorse over confronting Mark Lane over something. I suspect he left the forum as a result. But I don't feel too bad about it. If it wasn't me it would have been someone else. 

This is a bummer post. I figure Oliver Stone is more like a vessel of the research community to help use his Hollywood power to get the work of these great researchers out there, and he has a full time job as moviemaker, book writer, etc... Most of the researchers that are big I have seen in this forum, who is missing besides the people who have passed? Robert Groden, Josiah Thompson, John Barbour, John Newman, Jim Douglass, Lisa Pease, David Lifton? Who would we consider top ten? I think Jim has to be in that mix, Joe McBride?

19 minutes ago, Derek Thibeault said:

Most of the researchers that are big I have seen in this forum, who is missing besides the people who have passed? Robert Groden, Josiah Thompson, John Barbour, John Newman, Jim Douglass, Lisa Pease, David Lifton?

Josiah Thompson and David Lifton are members of this forum. Personally, I would love to see contributions here from Gary Aguilar, Steve Barber and Dave Reitzes, and especially Greg Parker. 

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

Josiah Thompson and David Lifton are members of this forum. Personally, I would love to see contributions here from Gary Aguilar, Steve Barber and Dave Reitzes, and especially Greg Parker. 

For some reason, I though Gary Aguilar was, too.

1 hour ago, Derek Thibeault said:

This is a bummer post. I figure Oliver Stone is more like a vessel of the research community to help use his Hollywood power to get the work of these great researchers out there, and he has a full time job as moviemaker, book writer, etc... Most of the researchers that are big I have seen in this forum, who is missing besides the people who have passed? Robert Groden, Josiah Thompson, John Barbour, John Newman, Jim Douglass, Lisa Pease, David Lifton? Who would we consider top ten? I think Jim has to be in that mix, Joe McBride?

I don't know if there is a way to measure who is prominent or who is not. 

But there is an old guard, most of whom are now deceased. Still, Cyril Wecht, Paul Hoch, Tink Thompson and Peter Dale Scott remain. And I would add Gary Murr to this list. 

And there is a best-selling author group, which would include Lifton, Groden, and Anthony Summers. 

And there is a widely published author group, which would include Walt Brown, Larry Hancock, LaMar Waldron, Joan Mellen, Jim D, James Fetzer, John Newman, Doug Horne and Vince Palamara.

And there is a group of professional historians, such as David Wrone, David Kaiser, and Michael Kurtz.

And there is a group of professional doctors, such as Gary Aguilar, David Mantik, and Randy Robertson. 

And there's a group of professional journalists, such as Jeff Morley, David Talbot, and Russ Baker... 

And there are those with a strong presence on the internet, such as Rex Bradford, John Simkin, Anthony Marsh, Len Osanic, Mike Griffith, and Robin Unger...

And there are those who've run conventions...like Debra Conway and Judyth Baker...

And there is one who did the research for a number of books written by others... (That's Malcolm Blunt)

And there is one who has MC'ed conventions, run organizations, and helped write the books of others... (That's Alan Dale)

My point is that when these folk get together--and I have been in the company of almost all of them--the conversation is much different than the discussions on this forum. With few exceptions, they do not follow this or any other forum. 

Edited by Pat Speer

3 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

But there is an old guard, most of whom are now deceased. Still, Cyril Wecht, Paul Hoch, Tink Thompson and Peter Dale Scott remain. And I would add Gary Murr to this list. 

And there is a best-selling author group, which would include Lifton and Groden. 

And there is a widely published author group, which would include Walt Brown, Larry Hancock, LaMar Waldron, Joan Mellen, Jim D, James Fetzer, John Newman and Doug Horne.

And there is a group of prominent doctors, which would include Gary Aguilar, David Mantik, and Randy Robertson. 

And there's a group of professional journalists, such as Anthony Summers, Jeff Morley, David Talbot, and Russ Baker...

And there are those with a strong presence on the internet, such as Rex Bradford, John Simkin, Anthony Marsh, Mike Griffith, and Robin Unger...

And there are those who've run conventions...like Debra Conway and Judyth Baker...

My point is that when these folk get together--and I have been in the company of almost all these people--the conversation is much different than the discussions on this forum. With few exceptions, they do not follow this or any other forum. 

3 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

And there is a best-selling author group, which would include Lifton and Groden. 

And there is a widely published author group, which would include Walt Brown, Larry Hancock, LaMar Waldron, Joan Mellen, Jim D, James Fetzer, John Newman and Doug Horne.

And there is a group of prominent doctors, which would include Gary Aguilar, David Mantik, and Randy Robertson. 

And there's a group of professional journalists, such as Anthony Summers, Jeff Morley, David Talbot, and Russ Baker...

And there are those with a strong presence on the internet, such as Rex Bradford, John Simkin, Anthony Marsh, Mike Griffith, and Robin Unger...

My point is that when these folk get together--and I have been in the company of almost all these people--the conversation is much different than the discussions on this forum. With few exceptions, they do not follow this or any other forum. 

good list!

Gary Murr did the first study of the Tippit

case, THE MURDER OF DALLAS POLICE

OFFICER J. D. TIPPIT, a good, groundbreaking monograph in 1971 that

went unpublished but can be found online.

Edited by Joseph McBride

1 hour ago, Pat Speer said:

Another obvious candidate would be Chris Scally (although I'm not exactly sure when he started writing about the case).

1 hour ago, Mark Ulrik said:

Another obvious candidate would be Chris Scally (although I'm not exactly sure when he started writing about the case).

Mark, good point. Chris has been a member of this forum in the past, although I don't believe he has posted here regularly in many years.

9 hours ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

Mark, good point. Chris has been a member of this forum in the past, although I don't believe he has posted here regularly in many years.

Jonathan, Chris is still a member of this forum, and, although not often has posted once or twice in recent months.