The Education Forum

Video: A Puff of Smoke

Gil Jesus

It had rained that morning and it was rather cold so I assume water that was hanging in the trees would still be there. If you fire a rifle about 6 in under the branches I would think a great deal of heat would go upward and outward. Is it possible that burst of Rising Heat could have caused some of the water on those leaves to turn to steam and be mixed with the Gunsmoke?

27 minutes ago, Chris Bristow said:

It had rained that morning and it was rather cold so I assume water that was hanging in the trees would still be there. If you fire a rifle about 6 in under the branches I would think a great deal of heat would go upward and outward. Is it possible that burst of Rising Heat could have caused some of the water on those leaves to turn to steam and be mixed with the Gunsmoke?

Single shot from a gun doesn't give off that kind of heat, I think the cigarette butts that SM Holland found with the footprints is more likely what the smoke came from. 

54 minutes ago, Matthew Koch said:

Single shot from a gun doesn't give off that kind of heat, I think the cigarette butts that SM Holland found with the footprints is more likely what the smoke came from. 

When thinking about this I looked on YouTube and found a video of a guy shooting from bushes right after it rained and it did create Steam. But it could have been raining lightly and I just didn't see it, or maybe it was warm and humid. I also don't remember what kind of rifle it was. I've never fired a rifle under those circumstances but I wanted to offer up the possibility. Thanks for your input.