Merry Christmas

Ron Bulman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Matthew Koch said:

Kruschev The Bald Headed Russian
(To the tune of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed-Reindeer")

Here's our version of the song when we were kids:

Randolph the bull-legged cowboy
Had a very shiny gun.
And if you ever saw it
It would even make you run.

All of the other cowboys
Used to laugh and call him names.
They never let poor Randolph
Join in any cowboy games.

Then one foggy Christmas Eve
Sheriff came to say.
Randolph with your guns so bright
Won't you shoot my wife tonight?

Then all the cowboys loved him
as they shouted out in glee!
Won't you have a beer with me!

23 minutes ago, Kathy Beckett said:

Denny,  that poem was awesome!!

I have a real treat for you. This is one of my favorite Christmas songs, sung so emotionally and so heartfelt by Merna and Henrietta Neudorf. I stumbled across this a few years back, and I tell ya, it's a keeper. Won't keep you waiting

Thanks! Merry Christmas!

33 minutes ago, Kathy Beckett said:

I have a real treat for you. This is one of my favorite Christmas songs, sung so emotionally and so heartfelt by Merna and Henrietta Neudorf. I stumbled across this a few years back, and I tell ya, it's a keeper. Won't keep you waiting

Inspiring.

The girl on the right?

She never once took her eyes off something far to her right.

Love their enthusiasm. 

Local talent contest winners?

14 hours ago, Tommy Tomlinson said:

Since JFK was  Roman Catholic I thought a little "Classic Latin" might not go amiss... sung by a bunch of old hippies...

Whatever your denomination, church, faith, or lack thereof, at this time we like to associate with peace and goodwill...have good one!

Good voices, Tommy, but their Latin pronunciation needs work.

I used to sing Latin Gregorian chants in a schola here in Denver, and I posted some of my own Latin Christmas recordings at Soundclick.com earlier this month.  I arranged and recorded these for guitar and two-part vocal harmony.

These are two of the oldest Christmas "carols" in Western Christendom.

Creator Alme Siderum by Guillermo Ambrose | SoundClick

Corde Natus by Guillermo Ambrose | SoundClick

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

I used to sing Latin Gregorian chants in a schola here in Denver, and I posted some of my own Latin Christmas recordings at Soundclick.com earlier this month.  I arranged and recorded these for guitar and two-part vocal harmony.

Is that you on the guitar, William?

15 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Here's our version of the song when we were kids:

Had a very shiny gun.
And if you ever saw it
It would even make you run.

All of the other cowboys
Used to laugh and call him names.
They never let poor Randolph
Join in any cowboy games.

Then one foggy Christmas Eve
Sheriff came to say.
Randolph with your guns so bright
Won't you shoot my wife tonight?

Then all the cowboys loved him
as they shouted out in glee!
Won't you have a beer with me!

That reminded me of this from one of my favorite Christmas movies when I was a kid, 'HomeAlone'.

Edited by Matthew Koch

6 hours ago, Kathy Beckett said:

Thank you, Kathy.  One of my favorite Christmas songs.

Post Christmas quiz.  What is the name of the club in White Christmas where Bob Wallace (Bing Crosby) goes to meet Ed Harrison, and watches George Clooney's aunt Rosemary sing You Done Me Wrong?

Got some great Christmas gifts yesterday!

I felt blessed as so many here in Calif. now are homeless.

Edited by Joe Bauer

7 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Oh that comment takes me back!

I was lucky enough in the 1980's to go to what in the UK was referred to a "Bog-Standard" Comprehensive state school that had one man who still taught classics. I studied Latin at "O Level" for two years under that guy, Mr Wilf O'Neill (OBE) who could have taught or lectured Classics at any University in the land (and did hold Summer courses in the Classics at a couple of Cambridge colleges.) but he believed that it should be part of the wider curriculum at all levels and so taught it to mugs like me.

When I moved into the 6th form and we hit 18 yrs old, a bunch of us would leave school at lunchtime and go to the local pub that I now live practically next door to. It was also the favourite watering hole of Wilf and his staff room clique as it was and has remained for many decades, a "Real Ale" pub. (I have never been asked by anyone in over 20 years, "So... why did you buy THAT house?")

Even after we had left school we used to go back to "The Miller's Arms," (Now called the Brewers Pride") at Christmas on the last few days of school and bump into our old teachers. Part of the ritual involved the landlord "Bob" switching the jukebox out around the second week in December. So it was filled with Christmas songs.  Whenever "Gaudete" came on, (which was quite often once we saw the reaction it engendered) Wilf would start on with his deconstruction of the performance and his forthright opinion on Steeleye Span, whom he considered to be a bunch of "Tone-deaf scruffy, bloody, pagan hippies".

10 hours ago, Kathy Beckett said:

I love Maddy Prior. My favorite song of hers is "Joseph was a Tin Man"  Yes, I believe Joseph of Arimathea brought Jesus as a youth to England, (Joseph traded in tin) and that after Christ died, Joseph came back to England and built a wattle church in Glastonbury, which was later covered by Glastonbury Abbey.

I have a friend with whom I used to go to concerts back in the 80s and 90s, and we still occasionally catch the odd show. And I don't think a year has gone by during the time we have known each other that we haven't said... "NEXT year.... we'll finally get to bloody Cropredy!" And it is still to happen...

An unusual anti-recruiting Christmas song about peace on earth and goodwill to all men (except perhaps to those who try to dragoon reluctant young men into military service).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBGkhPx529g