The Education Forum

Justice for Kennedy Act 2023

Justice for Kennedy Act of 2023 sponsored by an Arizona representative David Schweikert calls for release of all assassination records within 30 days of its enactment AND overrides the Deed of Gift and tax records exemptions.

The bill has been referred to the House Oversight, Ways and Means, Judicial and Intelligence Committees.

Please write the chairs of those committees and ask them to hold a hearing on HR 637 during Sunshine Week (March 12-18th).

Co-sponsors would be nice. A companion bill in the Senate would be nice. Write all your congress-critters. I fret that there's nothing I can see in this short bill to compel a party like Comcast/NBC to part with the original films in its archives. Happily from what I understand the Mary Ferrell Foundation lawsuit casts a net wide enough to reach those.

36 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Dec. 15, 2022. Tucker Carlson: The CIA was involved in the JFKA. 

Feb. 2023. President Biden: The JFK Records are secret forever. 

This just says it all about who rules the USA. 😞 

George Govus- the bill does eliminate the Deed of Gifts exemption but you are right that it does impose any new obligations on private parties holding assassination records. Of course, the ARRB and now NARA as the "successor in function" could issue a subpoena to NBC. The ARRB had prepared one for the Walter Sheridan papers but the Clinton DOJ declined to serve it. 

In the Senate, the chair of the Oversight Committee is Gary Peters and the ranking member is Rand Paul. we need to start sending them missives..... 

1 hour ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

George Govus- the bill does eliminate the Deed of Gifts exemption but you are right that it does impose any new obligations on private parties holding assassination records. Of course, the ARRB and now NARA as the "successor in function" could issue a subpoena to NBC. The ARRB had prepared one for the Walter Sheridan papers but the Clinton DOJ declined to serve it. 

In the Senate, the chair of the Oversight Committee is Gary Peters and the ranking member is Rand Paul. we need to start sending them missives..... 

Larry, since the bill uses the definition of an assassination record from the JFK Act and doesn’t specify records that are currently in the ARC, how would the bill get enforced? 

I may be misinterpreting something but it seems to me like some sort of review board would be necessary to compel agencies to conduct additional record searches - and I’m not sure how that would work since it’s not written into the bill. 

@Tom- good point. would be good if the bill refers to the regulatory definition of "assassination records" (the ARRB definition). Lack of enforcement tool is one of the tweaks I will be suggesting to representative Schweikert. I have the email of his top staffer.

1 hour ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

@Tom- good point. would be good if the bill refers to the regulatory definition of "assassination records" (the ARRB definition). Lack of enforcement tool is one of the tweaks I will be suggesting to representative Schweikert. I have the email of his top staffer.

Yes, the ARRB definition is a key.  It's been a while since I've been in Washington, but couldn't you advocate to Schweikert that an amendment be added to the bill striking the 1992 Act definition and replacing with the much broader ARRB term?  The definition in the Act was just preliminary.  Determining the final definition, after all, was delegated by the Act to the ARRB (a long way of saying the definition used in the new bill is the wrong definition).  I know it's early to be considering amendments but I think the point should be advocated to Schweikert.

Imo, collecting information that we know about, and some we don't now know about, currently outside both the NARA Collection and that held by government agencies is more likely to tell us more about what happened that day than what we think those agencies are hiding. 

Schweikert's bill is important.   It eliminates the exceptions.   It gets those records out there now.   We will work with his office on amendments and more.   

We still need to create effective archives for our own materials and others.   We still need to push NARA, NBC and elsewhere for new records.

Let's figure out how to get the Justice for Kennedy Act through Congress in 2023.