The Education Forum

Thankyou, Tucker Carlson!!

Matthew Koch

16 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I have heard about Trump, yes....

Ben, If the stakes weren't so high,  if there wasn't a possibility that Trump will win his party's nomination, I would let this go and step back entirely from any forum thread that hints of support of him past or present.  For now, that's not the case.  If even half this number were filed by Trump himself, that is excessive would you not agree? How many in his realm, including politicians and government employs are terrified of this track record?  It's called threat and intimidation.
  Exclusive: Trump's 3,500 lawsuits unprecedented for a presidential nominee

Nick Penzenstadler, and Susan Page
USA TODAY (October 2017)
Edited by Leslie Sharp

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Ben, If the stakes weren't so high,  if there wasn't a possibility that Trump will win his party's nomination, I would let this go and step back entirely from any forum thread that hints of support of him past or present.  For now, that's not the case.  If even half this number were filed by Trump himself, that is excessive would you not agree? How many in his realm, including politicians and government employs are terrified of this track record?  It's called threat and intimidation.

USA TODAY (October 2017)

I was involved in one lawsuit in my life, and that was settled...and that was way more than enough for me. 

The thought of stultifying and unproductive time in court scares me more than the gallows...but some people seem to thrive on this sort of thing....

4 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

Here is a NYT piece discussing how the selective transcripts may never get into court. I'm in the process of obtaining the briefs filed by both sides. the trial is supposed to start on april 17th. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/12/business/media/fox-news-dominion-lawsuit-evidence.html

LS--

I look forward to your detached and scholarly assessment. A rarity in today's world....

BTW, keep an open mind, and ponder the history of "SLAPP Suits." 

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/1019/slapp-suits

SLAPP Suits

By Brandi M. Snow

A SLAPP suit, or strategic lawsuit against public participation, is a civil claim filed against an individual or an organization, arising out of that party’s speech or communication to government about an issue of public concern. At the heart of the SLAPP suit is the petition clause of the First Amendment.

'SLAPP' was coined to recognize lawsuits filed to silence criticism

A SLAPP suit may look like a civil lawsuit for defamation, nuisance, interference with contract, interference with economic advantage, or invasion of privacy, but its purpose is different. About this purpose, Judge J. Nicholas Colabella wrote in Gordon v. Marrone (N.Y . 1992), “Short of a gun to the head, a greater threat to First Amendment expression can scarcely be imagined.”

Professors George W. Pring and Penelope Canan coined the term SLAPP suit in the 1980s after noting a surge in lawsuits filed to silence public criticism by citizens.

---30---

Verily, make it very expensive to even talk about the ability to manipulate voter machines---are we witnessing big-time SLAPP suits? 

BTW, the cover of NYT magazine in 2018 said there was a "crisis" in election security, due to the easy hackability of voter machines.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/magazine/election-security-crisis-midterms.html

So...which is it? Voter machines are easily hacked, or not?  

Answer: Depends if your guy one or not!

9 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

I was involved in one lawsuit in my life, and that was settled...and that was way more than enough for me. 

The thought of stultifying and unproductive time in court scares me more than the gallows...but some people seem to thrive on this sort of thing....

Nice sidestep, Ben. But I still appreciate you sharing the personal anecdote. 

1 minute ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Nice sidestep, Ben. But I still appreciate you sharing the personal anecdote. 

Seriously, I cannot imagine how or why Trump is involved in so many suits. It sounds perfectly hellish. 

In Los Angeles, major developers often accumulate hundreds of suits. Contractors, points of development law, citizen groups, regulatory snags, employee troubles, CEQA suits, SLAPP suits and so on. 

In Trump's defense, one would have to read through the 3,500 suits and develop categories...you would have to know if he was the defendant or plaintiff in how many suits, and how the suits were settled, or adjudicated and so on...and that is even to get a feel for the nature of the suits. 

I would take 3,500 suits as a warning sign before doing business with Trump. 

But as a blanket statement, that a major developer must be a bad person as he was involved in a lot of suits over decades and decades...a bit of a stretch. Conjecture. 

10 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Seriously, I cannot imagine how or why Trump is involved in so many suits. It sounds perfectly hellish. 

In Los Angeles, major developers often accumulate hundreds of suits. Contractors, points of development law, citizen groups, regulatory snags, employee troubles, CEQA suits, SLAPP suits and so on. 

In Trump's defense, one would have to read through the 3,500 suits and develop categories...you would have to know if he was the defendant or plaintiff in how many suits, and how the suits were settled, or adjudicated and so on...and that is even to get a feel for the nature of the suits. 

I would take 3,500 suits as a warning sign before doing business with Trump. 

But as a blanket statement, that a major developer must be a bad person as he was involved in a lot of suits over decades and decades...a bit of a stretch. Conjecture. 

I qualified by acknowledging that if Trump was plaintiff in only half (1,750) it still is an excessive number by standards. Also, the operative word in the article is "president", which elevates the underpinning concern.  I also had in mind his countersuits in the E. Jean Carrol case, the Stormy Daniels case, and a number of suits he has filed and eluded to in recent campaign speeches.  With some digging I'll relieve you of your concern that mine is simply conjecture.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

is there a way I can share the pdfs of the briefs supporting motions for summary judgement filed by Dominion, Fox News Corp and Fox Corp?  They are interesting to me as a lawyer but I think you may find them interesting as well.  

6 minutes ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

is there a way I can share the pdfs of the briefs supporting motions for summary judgement filed by Dominion, Fox News Corp and Fox Corp?  They are interesting to me as a lawyer but I think you may find them interesting as well.  

Great question. But I am not a lawyer--could you write up a balanced summary? 

21 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

I qualified by acknowledging that if Trump was plaintiff in only half (1,750) it still is an excessive number by standards. Also, the operative word in the article is "president", which elevates the underpinning concern.  I also had in mind his countersuits in the E. Jean Carrol case, the Stormy Daniels case, and a number of suits he has filed and eluded to in recent campaign speeches.  With some digging I'll relieve you of your concern that mine is simply conjecture.

LS---

You will review 3,500 suits? Sounds truly awful. 

You will select some suits for review? Okay, go to it, but how does that illuminate the 3,500 suits?  I am not accusing you of cherry-picking, but possibly sampling error. 

Do we even know, in the most broad-brush terms, if Trump "won" or "lost" what fraction of the 3,500 suits?

What if Trump "won" 90% of the suits...that would suggest a litigious but "correct" developer who stood up for his legal rights.

To me, if Trump "lost" 90% of the suits, then I would conjecture he engaged in corrupt business practices. 

But I encourage you to pursue your viewpoints, and present them here.

I encourage dissent, and the full range of views, I do not denigrate anyone for having different viewpoints than mine. 

2 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

USA TODAY (October 2017)

LS--

I see there is a "Trump Thread Links" pinned at the very top of JFK-EF. 

This thread is about Tucker Carlson. 

I am not a moderator, but perhaps your Trump commentary more properly belongs in the thread devoted to Trump. 

58 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

LS--

I see there is a "Trump Thread Links" pinned at the very top of JFK-EF. 

This thread is about Tucker Carlson. 

I am not a moderator, but perhaps your Trump commentary more properly belongs in the thread devoted to Trump. 

Carlson helped get Trump elected, advanced his rhetoric and policies for four years, endorsed his second run for president, so yes, this thread on Carlson is the appropriate venue to discuss Trump.

Stictly Carlson related, for your benefit, begin min. 4.

https://www.msnbc.com/the-beat-with-ari-melber

2 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

Great question. But I am not a lawyer--could you write up a balanced summary

What Ben?  Lawrence is asking for help on an issue that might help us all understand the case.  A great question, a balanced summary.  This makes no sense to me.

2 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

is there a way I can share the pdfs of the briefs supporting motions for summary judgement filed by Dominion, Fox News Corp and Fox Corp? 

I'd certainly read them.

If you post them on Google Drive or Dropbox.com, those sites will give you the option to provide a link that the public can access.