The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New York Times lead article on Sunday:

Trump and Fox News, Twin Titans of Politics, Hit With Back-to-Back Rebukes

Donald Trump’s criminal indictment and Fox News’s civil trial have nothing in common, but, combined, they delivered a rare reckoning for two forces that have transformed politics.

I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised to see the Trump cult doubling down on the denial of Trump's crimes this weekend.  That's what cults do.  They don't tolerate any criticism of their Great Leader.

Meanwhile, Cyrus Vance has gone public with the news that Bill Barr and the Trump DOJ had shut down the investigation and prosecution of Trump's illegal hush money payments to Stormy Daniels.  Shocker.  🤥

Exchange of the Day

April 2, 2023 at 10:29 am EDT By Taegan Goddard 135 Comments

Former Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. was interviewed by Chuck Todd on Meet the Press:

TODD: Why didn’t you charge the hush money case? Why didn’t you ever charge it in 2018, 2019, 2020?

VANCE: Well Chuck, I don’t want to get into the deliberations that might be covered by grand jury material, but it’s, but as I believe you know, I was asked by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District to stand down on our investigation, which had commenced involving the Trump Organization. And as, you know, as someone who respects that office a great deal, and believing that they may have perhaps the best laws to investigate, I did so. And I was somewhat surprised after Mr. Cohen pleaded guilty that the federal government did not proceed on the areas in which it asked me to stand down.

Fox News panel justifies death threats to Stormy Daniels: 'Take the money and keep your mouth shut'

by David Edwards April 02, 2023

https://www.rawstory.com/stormy-daniels-threats/

"Yeah, look, she got a hundred and thirty thousand dollars and never had to open her mouth about this story at all, and violated the NDA, and has made a lot of money off this instance," radio host Clay Travis said dismissively. "She's put herself into the central part of this story. I think it's awful anytime there's claims of violence or threats, but I don't think you can be surprised given the temperature in the country right now."

Political strategist Lucy Caldwell agreed.

"Yeah, I mean, if you don't want to take the ride, don't take the ride, right?" Caldwell quipped.

"That's the reality," Kurtz concluded. "Take the money and keep your mouth shut."

Well, let's not sugarcoat the whole thing right?

If you cross he who must not be named, you deserve what you get.

Steve Thomas

50 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Fox News panel justifies death threats to Stormy Daniels: 'Take the money and keep your mouth shut'

by David Edwards April 02, 2023

https://www.rawstory.com/stormy-daniels-threats/

"Yeah, look, she got a hundred and thirty thousand dollars and never had to open her mouth about this story at all, and violated the NDA, and has made a lot of money off this instance," radio host Clay Travis said dismissively. "She's put herself into the central part of this story. I think it's awful anytime there's claims of violence or threats, but I don't think you can be surprised given the temperature in the country right now."

Political strategist Lucy Caldwell agreed.

"Yeah, I mean, if you don't want to take the ride, don't take the ride, right?" Caldwell quipped.

"That's the reality," Kurtz concluded. "Take the money and keep your mouth shut."

Well, let's not sugarcoat the whole thing right?

If you cross he who must not be named, you deserve what you get.

Steve Thomas

Yeah, Steve, and I'm still wondering which Americans (besides Stormy Daniels) Fox News fans are supposed to shoot with the guns Tucker Carlson recently advised them to "hang on to."

Alvin Bragg?  The police?  Judges?  Trans people?  Blacks?  Mexicans?  Libs? 

All of the above?

31 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Blow back... An act of terrorism on Russian soil.

I wondered when, in the course of the Ukrainian invasion, these kind of terrorist acts in the RF would commence.

4 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Blow back... An act of terrorism on Russian soil.

I wondered when, in the course of the Ukrainian invasion, these kind of terrorist acts in the RF would commence.

What would you class the murder of Dugin’s daughter as? 

From Citizens United to this, Clarance Thomas has been there.  I know The Supreme Court is a lifetime appointment.  But can they be impeached by their colleagues or congress?  I know it will never happen, just wondering.

Supreme court justices felt tricked by Trump at Kavanaugh swearing-in – book (msn.com)

2 hours ago, Chris Barnard said:

What would you class the murder of Dugin’s daughter as? 

Chris,

I read somewhere that it may have been intended as an assassination attempt on Dugin, himself.

Certainly, an early example of blow back.

I suspected, since the beginning of the invasion of Ukraine 13 months ago, that there would also be attempts on Putin's life, by ethnic Ukrainians or Russians.

There must be a significant number of people living in the RF who hate Putin.

Fahrenheit 2023: Even in Mississippi’s segregation academies, we learned about Emmett Till
By DEIRDRE SUGIUCHI
https://www.salon.com/2023/03/12/fahrenheit-2023-even-in-mississippis-segregation-academies-we-learned-about-emmett-till/
"What does Mississippi look like?" my son's girlfriend asked me over the holidays. For a minute I faltered trying to think of how to explain Mississippi and the Delta to this young woman from the northeast. I told her about its rolling rivers and large trees and flat fields stretching out as far as the eye can see, how during the spring and fall the sky is a river of birds, the Mississippi Flyway. I told her how my town Greenwood has shrunk over the decades, its infrastructure decayed and crumbling, because of its allegiance to White supremacy. Rather than working with the civil rights protesters to make the Delta equitable for all individuals, the White leaders of the Delta disinvested from its schools and recreational programs, filling the public pools with concrete. They closed down the nursing program because they refused to integrate. Health care, clean air, clean water, education, mental health, community services all were sacrificed to serve the interests of the ruling class, which is currently under scrutiny for robbing welfare benefits from some of the most impoverished children in the nation. 
The hospital in my hometown is at risk of closure because the state's current governor, Tate Reeves, who spent his college years cosplaying as a Confederate with his fraternity, refuses to accept federal funding for Medicaid. You can't even drink the water in the state capital, Jackson, where I was born. In 2023."  

Steve Thomas

15 million people could lose coverage as nightmarish Medicaid 'purge' begins

by Jake Johnson, Common Dreams April 03, 2023

https://www.rawstory.com/15-million-people-could-lose-coverage-as-nightmarish-medicaid-purge-begins/

“The Medicaid continuous coverage requirements are the latest pandemic-era protections to fall in recent months.

Starting on March 1, enhanced Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits were cut off in dozens of states, slashing food aid for tens of millions.

Additionally, the boosted Child Tax Credit (CTC) expired in late 2021 due to opposition from Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and congressional Republicans, resulting in a rapid surge in child poverty. Shortly before the expanded CTC lapsed, boosted unemployment benefits that helped millions weather economic chaos ended.

As the pandemic-era safety net crumbles, congressional Republicans are looking to roll back Medicaid, SNAP, and other key programs even further with spending cuts and punitive work requirements.

"Republican calls to cut government funding put everything from child care to opioid treatment and mental health services to nutrition assistance at risk for millions," Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), the top Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee, warned earlier this week”

What the hell kind of people are we, that we let our own children go hungry?.

Steve Thomas