The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 years ago on April 22, 1978 -- Steve Martin hosted one of the most memorable Saturday Night Live episodes EVER! 🙌 Among the sketches were....
1) The debut of The Blues Brothers [John and Dan had previously appeared as the Killer Bees doing "I'm a King Bee"]
2) Steve does "King Tut" 🕺
3) Gilda Radner stars in a commercial parody for "Hey You", the perfume for one night stands
4) Gilda and Steve as two people who meet at a club and proceed to silly dance all around the SNL studio
5) Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber
6) The Festrunk Brothers: "We are two wild and crazy guys"
7) The Nerds attend a science fair

May be an image of 3 people

Edited by Douglas Caddy

55 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:
45 years ago on April 22, 1978 -- Steve Martin hosted one of the most memorable Saturday Night Live episodes EVER! 🙌 Among the sketches were....
1) The debut of The Blues Brothers [John and Dan had previously appeared as the Killer Bees doing "I'm a King Bee"]
2) Steve does "King Tut" 🕺
3) Gilda Radner stars in a commercial parody for "Hey You", the perfume for one night stands
4) Gilda and Steve as two people who meet at a club and proceed to silly dance all around the SNL studio
5) Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber
6) The Festrunk Brothers: "We are two wild and crazy guys"
7) The Nerds attend a science fair

May be an image of 3 people

I have the DVDs of those old SNL episodes from the mid to late 70s, and I still enjoy watching them.

They had a lot of great musicians on those old shows-- the Grateful Dead, the Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Paul Simon, Joan Armatrading, Leon Redbone, Randy Newman, George Harrison, Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, etc.

I bought the DVD sets partly for the concerts and partly for those great comedy performances by Steve Martin, Dan Ackroyd, John Belushi, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, et.al.

Andy Kaufman, Chevy Chase, and Al Franken also did skits in some of those old shows.

Edited by W. Niederhut

11 hours ago, Paul Bacon said:

I believe Billy Gibbons died last year...

Paul, I believe you must be thinking of ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill, he passed in 2021.  Billy G is playing Europe the next few months.  Here is his latest video (check out his web site).

Van Halen was referenced tonight and I once again brought up how much Eddie Van Halen nicked from Billy Gibbons; in the BEST possible way, I might add. But there are so may VH tunes that you can tell started out as the brothers just jamming in their practice space that ended up being actual songs.

A good example I pulled up to hear tonight is "Hot For Teacher"; until the vocals were dubbed onto it, that song is really just another ZZ Top-esque guitar jam.

From my studio work I am acquainted with Terry Manning, a brilliant native Texan that did a bunch of those incredibly successful ZZ Top records in the 80s. ZZ Top are deservedly all-time legends.

I went to the MSN politics page looking for news on RFK JR.  Scrolled through 6 lines of 2-3-4 articles per line before on the 7th I saw "What's Wrong With JFK Jr's Voice?". 

A valid question for the many who don't know the answer.  On the 7th line.

On the 8th was this.  Informative.  I don't agree with parts of it but it is fair in at least some respects.  Articles like it should be on the MSN home page, for more than two minutes, if that.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr Is No Joke (Biden Should Take Him Seriously) (msn.com)

14 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Robert F. Kennedy Jr Is No Joke (Biden Should Take Him Seriously) (msn.com)

For me, the article begs the question: "Why are so many MAGAs rooting for RFK Jr."?

I went to the twitter page of the fellow that wrote the above article, and was confronted with boilerplate MAGA tropes, as well as this unsettling, barely-cloaked longing for a segregated America:

17 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Van Halen was referenced tonight and I once again brought up how much Eddie Van Halen nicked from Billy Gibbons; in the BEST possible way, I might add. But there are so may VH tunes that you can tell started out as the brothers just jamming in their practice space that ended up being actual songs.

A good example I pulled up to hear tonight is "Hot For Teacher"; until the vocals were dubbed onto it, that song is really just another ZZ Top-esque guitar jam.

From my studio work I am acquainted with Terry Manning, a brilliant native Texan that did a bunch of those incredibly successful ZZ Top records in the 80s. ZZ Top are deservedly all-time legends.

Rio Grande Mud did it for me in 1972, then I bought the First Album.  First saw them in 1973 in Fort Worth then on Halloween 1981 in Texas Stadium opening for the Stones, preceded by the Fabulous Thunderbirds w/guest SRV.  Still have the ticket stubs.  

Hot For Teacher is a classic video.

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Here's La Grange without the vocals; its influence on Hot For Teacher is very noticeable, imo :)

Tres Hombres is ZZ Top's best album, IMO.

I know they had some hits in the 80s with their Eliminator album, but I prefer Tres Hombres.

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Paul, I believe you must be thinking of ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill, he passed in 2021.  Billy G is playing Europe the next few months.  Here is his latest video (check out his web site).

Thanks Ron and W.  I'm relieved--it was only the bass player  😉

https://www.wfxg.com/story/46095916/republican-gubernatorial-candidate-kandiss-taylor-campaigns-in-augusta

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WFXG) - You may have seen a bus driving through the Augusta area on Thursday with the words "Jesus, Guns, Babies" written on the side. That was Republican gubernatorial candidate Kandiss Taylor, who made a few stops in the CSRA to promote her campaign to become Georgia's next governor. 

Jesus is shooting little babies now?

Steve Thomas

Do you realize how much noise we've had to hear from Ben about Hunter Biden over years now?

Now it turns out, head of the Oversight Committee, James Comer (who Larry Shnapf is trying to get an audience with for the JFKA Files), has admitted they have nothing on Hunter Biden except the usual nepotism questions. And how hypocritical does that look after  Jared Cushner made a billion dollars from his connections to the President?

44 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Do you realize how much noise we've had to hear from Ben about Hunter Biden over years now?

Now it turns out, head of the Oversight Committee, James Comer (who Larry Shnapf is trying to get an audience with for the JFKA Files), has admitted they have nothing on Hunter Biden except the usual nepotism questions. And how hypocritical does that look after  Jared Cushner made a billion dollars from his connections to the President?

Yeah, Kirk, but at least it's good to know that Comer and the GOP Sedition Caucus have their priorities straight.

"Investigating" Biden and the globalist Donks is far more important than releasing the JFK files.

Next, they should investigate the Ukrainian N-a-z-i-s who have been persecuting Putin.

I'm sure that Ben and Tucker Carlson would agree... 🤥

Edited by W. Niederhut