The Education Forum

Sixty

Not 1963 alone, but hearing this earlier today made me wonder.  As a Democratic, liberal, populist might JFK growing up in the 30's - 40's might have been influenced by Woodie Guthrie

This land is your land, his guitar - this machine kills fascists.  More.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60 years ago today in Detroit.  The Walk to Freedom, largest civil rights march in history up to that point in time, 125,000 people.  The first time MLK gave his I Have a Dream Speech, recorded by Berry Gordy of Motown Records.

MLK's ties to a historic church in downtown Detroit | Watch (msn.com)

Ron,

Your Berry Gordy post (above) got me thinking about the Contours great 1962 Berry Gordy song, Do You Love Me, which got me thinking about the Isley Brothers great 1962 hit, Twist and Shout, which got me thinking about this incredible 1963 Beatles' performance for Queen Elizabeth II.  

The Beatles really nailed this live 1963 performance of Twist and Shout, although the song wasn't released in the U.S. until 1964.

This is great W, I've never seen it before.  John truly fronting the band, Paul and George sharing a mic way off to the side.  That must have went off well.  For the queen?  A bit rocking for the time.  They were shaking their mops.

I know W has posted the actual speech in another thread.  But here is the text of JFK's Berlin speech if anyone wants to read it.  It's not that long but says a lot.

Remarks of President John F. Kennedy at the Rudolph Wilde Platz, Berlin, June 26, 1963 | JFK Library 

Between Berlin, the Peace speech and the Civil Rights speech this was not all he was trying to say, but the biggest part, which eventually led to this years later.

After Berlin . . .  60 years ago today JFK arrived in Rome.  He was given quite a welcome, on his way to give a speech at a Cathedral (?) I read elsewhere.  I noticed initially he carries a hat in his hand, never putting it on of course, then it disappears.  There had to be over twenty motorcycle policemen leading, beside and behind the limo he was in.  I tried counting them, more beside the follow up cars.  It made Dallas look like a (bad) joke.  Army and or Police officers lining the route at one point with arms spread out holding the crowd back.  A flatbed truck for photographers was leading the way, it's obviously where some of this was filmed from.  I wasn't going to watch the whole thing, it's grainy, blurred from camera movement sometimes, sometimes it doesn't show JFK for a minute or two.  But you do get glimpses of a colosseum, other historic buildings and sculptures.  Entering the Colosseum at the end with the band playing the Star Spangled Banner was pretty cool.

Speaking of after Berlin, where they lock you out or lock you in.  From 1982, when there was still a Berlin wall.  There is a better audio only (musically) version of this if anyone wants to look.

Neil Young After Berlin - Bing video

On July 7th, 1963, JFK could not have been happy with Diem and Nhu over this development.  Pictures of a reporters bloodied face in newspapers.  A six foot or more David Halberstam wading in swinging his arms saying, "Get back, get back you sons of bitches or I'll beat the dooky out of you."

Apparently, it was smoothed over in Vietnam and a direct letter by the journalists to the Whitehouse ignored by JFK.

Double Seven Day scuffle - Wikipedia

Edited by Ron Bulman