The Education Forum

Sixty

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much on 1963 news the last few days.  The calm before the storm regarding the assassination.  Harvey in Florida in April. Today 60 years ago Bob Charles won the British Open in golf.  The first lefty to win a Masters.  Things were heating up by this point.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:39 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Interesting, Ron.  I had no idea that Paul McCartney wrote Yesterday as early as 1963.

The song was released as a #1 single in the U.S. in September of 1965, and has been ranked by some critics and polls as the greatest pop song in history.

Paul allegedly awoke one morning with the tune in his head, and he hummed a few bars for John Lennon and George Martin, asking them if they knew the tune.  

Needless to say, they didn't recognize the melody.

Well fudge.  I've misplaced my list of JFK or other interesting dates I'd written down from a weekly list of news site I'd found some months ago.  Not much in a quick look for news for the last couple of days.  A picture of JFK hitting golf balls by the ocean at Hyannis Port, this 1963: Gloria Richardson took stand against racism - Mississippi Today 

The 21'st also brought up George Wallace in Washington protesting to Congress over civil rights, then saying some of his best friends were negros, for which he was laughed at.  But that was actually in the week of the 21'st as it was a Sunday.

One reason I'm posting here today is that on my list was the first U S Vietnam involvement protest was on or around July 20, 1963 (not true - 1954 +).  This protest was begun by a Catholic maybe studying for the priesthood in NYC (?) at a church (?).  It occurred over a couple of days, the first with only 3-4 protesters.  Word spread, the second day there were 30-40-50 I think.  Enough that it was covered by the NYT or Post.  As JFK read multiple papers I thought he might have come across the article.

A google search of multiple combinations of terms turned up nothing on it.  There was another protest in I believe it said September at the UN.  As this was something I've read in the last few months I thought maybe Monica Wiesak's America's Last President but I found nothing there.  Has anyone else read about such a protest.

BTW, the list had some time in July as the first use of zip codes, I think.

This might be of interest to some on the forum in relation to other current threads.  60 years ago today.

The Supreme Court of East Germany sentenced Hans Globke in absentia to life imprisonment "for continued war crimes committed with complicity and crimes against humanity in partial combination with murder".[79  

Yesterday, the 22nd, The Beatles first US album released.  I remember Beatle wigs for sale at a drug store in Denver, and my dad scoffing at them, who would want to wear their hair that long?  Me, later.

Please Please Me became the first record album by The Beatles to be released in the United States. Vee Jay Records deleted two of the songs that had appeared on the British version introduced on March 22, including the title song, "Please Please Me".[78

9 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

This might be of interest to some on the forum in relation to other current threads.  60 years ago today.

The Supreme Court of East Germany sentenced Hans Globke in absentia to life imprisonment "for continued war crimes committed with complicity and crimes against humanity in partial combination with murder".[79  

Yesterday, the 22nd, The Beatles first US album released.  I remember Beatle wigs for sale at a drug store in Denver, and my dad scoffing at them, who would want to wear their hair that long?  Me, later.

Please Please Me became the first record album by The Beatles to be released in the United States. Vee Jay Records deleted two of the songs that had appeared on the British version introduced on March 22, including the title song, "Please Please Me".[78

I was in Edinburgh, and watched their last luncheon show at the Cavern Club on TV...Feb, 1963...

28 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Ron,

I remember those Beatle wigs for sale at Woolworth's, (in 1964) and my older relatives being shocked and appalled by the Beatles' haircuts.

My older sister bought a copy of that Vee Jay album, Introducing the Beatles, in 1964, and I know for certain that Please, Please Me was the first track on Side Two of her copy of the album.

(I bought a vinyl copy of that album many years later, but it didn't include the Please, Please Me track.)

The Beatles' first U.S. hit single, I Want to Hold Your Hand, went to #1 in the U.S. in January of 1964.

1964 was when I first heard their music, including their historic February 1964 appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show-- almost a year after they released Please, Please Me in the U.K.

As Bob Dylan mentioned in Murder Most Fowl, the Beatles' historic U.S. invasion happened on the heels of the JFK assassination.

Introducing... The Beatles - Wikipedia

Edited by W. Niederhut

16 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

I was in Edinburgh, and watched their last luncheon show at the Cavern Club on TV...Feb, 1963...

Wow.  Cool.  The Cavern Club in Liverpool?

The 24th of July 1963, 16 year old Bill Clinton met President John F. Kennedy on a trip to the Whitehouse as a representative for Boys State/Nation.  Remember the campaign photo in 1992?

19 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

The 24th of July 1963, 16 year old Bill Clinton met President John F. Kennedy on a trip to the Whitehouse as a representative for Boys State/Nation.  Remember the campaign photo in 1992?

Bill Clinton Biography | American Experience | Official Site | PBS

On 7/23/2023 at 10:22 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Wow.  Cool.  The Cavern Club in Liverpool?

Yes!  

On 7/23/2023 at 10:21 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Ron,

I remember those Beatle wigs for sale at Woolworth's, (in 1964) and my older relatives being shocked and appalled by the Beatles' haircuts.

My older sister bought a copy of that Vee Jay album, Introducing the Beatles, in 1964, and I know for certain that Please, Please Me was the first track on Side Two of her copy of the album.

(I bought a vinyl copy of that album many years later, but it didn't include the Please, Please Me track.)

The Beatles' first U.S. hit single, I Want to Hold Your Hand, went to #1 in the U.S. in January of 1964.

1964 was when I first heard their music, including their historic February 1964 appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show-- almost a year after they released Please, Please Me in the U.K.

As Bob Dylan mentioned in Murder Most Fowl, the Beatles' historic U.S. invasion happened on the heels of the JFK assassination.

Introducing... The Beatles - Wikipedia

However, the Beatles first trip to the US was just prior to the JFK assassination...

17 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

However, the Beatles first trip to the US was just prior to the JFK assassination...

Pamela,

The Beatles first trip to the U.S. was on February 7, 1964.

Your November 18, 1963 news clip (above) was, apparently, the first time the Beatles were mentioned on U.S. television, after returning to Heathrow from a Swedish tour.

Yesterday, courtesy of JFK.

• Representatives of the United States, the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union initialed the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, the first agreement ever for the banning of nuclear weapons tests in the atmosphere, outer space and underwater. Soviet Foreign Minister Andrei Gromyko, U.S. Undersecretary of State W. Averell Harriman, and the British Minister of Science, Lord Hailsham, gave their tentative approval at the Spiridonovka Palace in Moscow, in advance of the formal signing.[86]