The Education Forum

Sixty

Well, on the 17th, this was a big show for my parents, I watched with them.  Later starring Harison Ford.

• On television, David Janssen made his first appearance in the title role of The Fugitive, portraying Dr. Richard Kimble, a physician who had wrongfully been convicted of murder. Barry Morse portrayed Indiana detective Philip Gerard, whose relentless pursuit of Kimble would end with the series finale on August 29, 1967.[56]

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18th.  Patty Duke, which I probably shouldn't admit, I also watched.  

• The Patty Duke Show premiered on television, with actress Patty Duke playing two roles as "identical cousins". Camera tricks allowed Duke to appear as both Patty Lane and her look-alike cousin Cathy Lane.

9/19/1963, Originating under JFK, still in effect?

• At the United Nations, Soviet Foreign Minister Andrei Gromyko announced that the U.S.S.R. was prepared to negotiate and sign a treaty to prohibit the orbiting of nuclear weapons platforms in outer space. The Outer Space Treaty would be signed in 1967.[61]

9/20/63

• At the United Nations, U.S. President John F. Kennedy proposed a joint Moon mission between the U.S. and the Soviet Union.[67][68] The Soviet Communist Party newspaper Pravda reported the speech but commented that the idea was "premature". Kennedy would die two months later, Soviet Chairman Khrushchev would be deposed within 13 months, and the United States would proceed alone in its lunar program.[69]

September 24, 1963.  A Historic Day, in President John F. Kennedy's time in office in his own opinion, the most important.

• The U.S. Senate ratified the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty by an overwhelming majority, 80-19, fourteen more than the two-thirds majority required by the U.S. Constitution.[76] John F. Kennedy considered the ratification of the treaty, which would go into effect on October 11, the greatest achievement of his presidency, according to aide Theodore Sorensen.[77]

The CIA was out of control?  9/25/63.

• Dominican Republic President Juan Bosch was overthrown in a military coup, only seven months after he had become the nation's first democratically elected leader.[80] Military leaders installed a group of three civilians, headed by Emilio de Los Santos as President, to preside over the nation.[81]       
  • Then there is this.  
  • The U.S. House of Representatives voted 271-155 to approve the reduction of the federal income tax rate.[82] The bill would pass the U.S. Senate, and be signed into law on February 26, 1964.[83]

When I first started the thread, I imagined more participation as the year progressed regarding important dates related to the assassination itself.  I also thought I'd seen a posting or in a book/article a listing of important dates leading up to it.  To reference, but never found it. 

I.E. is Lee in Mexico, missing for how many days at this point?  Or was he never there as per David Joseph.  But John Newman says yes he was, but failed, and was impersonated.

It got deep way before this.  Even before Chief of Station Rhome, the infamous Blll Harvey met Johnny Roselli on the Florida coast in April.

He's down to under two months to live.  What important happens in the time remaining?  Dulles visits Dallas, Oswald gets a job at the TSBD.

A new custodian is hired for the second floor of the Dal-Tex building, pure speculation on my part, maybe not totally unfounded?  

Remember, mock shooters on the GK are coming on 11/20 per the DPD/FBI.

Sixty years ago yesterday, as later officially concluded by the Warren Commission (at least Dulles, McCloy and Ford) . . .

• Lee Harvey Oswald arrived in Mexico City went to the consulate of Cuba, where he applied for a transit visa in an attempt to travel to Cuba and then back to the Soviet Union, where he had lived from 1959 to 1962. After being refused visas by the Cuban consulate and the Soviet embassy, the Warren Commission would later conclude, Oswald would return to his home near Dallas.[91]

BTW, in addition to Landis, Alec Baldwin will be at the Wecht Conference.

I wonder if this might not have been the final straw.  Several of the powers that be already wanted him gone over The Bay of Pigs, The Cuban Missile Crisis, the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in addition to not going in to Vietnam in the first place.  Then there were the racists, Wall Street and more.

October 2, 1963 (Wednesday)[edit]

• The White House announced that withdrawal of American troops from South Vietnam could be completed by December 31, 1965, following a report to President Kennedy by U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara and General Maxwell D. Taylor, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The first 1,000 of 15,000 troops were to be withdrawn before the end of 1963.[4] However, Kennedy's successor, Lyndon Johnson, reversed the withdrawal and there were eventually 550,000 American troops in the Vietnam War.[5]

47 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

I wonder if this might not have been the final straw.  Several of the powers that be already wanted him gone over The Bay of Pigs, The Cuban Missile Crisis, the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in addition to not going in to Vietnam in the first place.  Then there were the racists, Wall Street and more.

October 2, 1963 (Wednesday)[edit]

• The White House announced that withdrawal of American troops from South Vietnam could be completed by December 31, 1965, following a report to President Kennedy by U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara and General Maxwell D. Taylor, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The first 1,000 of 15,000 troops were to be withdrawn before the end of 1963.[4] However, Kennedy's successor, Lyndon Johnson, reversed the withdrawal and there were eventually 550,000 American troops in the Vietnam War.[5]

Interesting, Ron.  For some reason, (plain old ignorance?) I thought that JFK was keeping his NSAM 263 Vietnam withdrawal plan under wraps until after the 1964 election-- to avoid being accused of going soft on communism.

But, on the contrary, it looks like the White House went public with JFK's plan to get out of Vietnam.

25 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Whoa Ron, Did you know there's been a million word dispute about this going on  here for years? All the mentions of this are post JFKA. What is the source of this material?

The source of the quote is Wikipedia.  If you click on their #4 in the article it shows this.

1.  "Kennedy Told U.S. Can End Viet Job in '65", Chicago Tribune, October 3, 1963, p1

Huh, I was I was looking for a column in the NYT on Oct 3rd, 1963. But it turns out,  it's pretty conditional, but still interesting.. I wish I could copy excerpts, but I can't. Check it out.

VIETNAM VICTORY BY THE END OF '65 ENVISAGED BY U.S.

Officials Say War May Be Won if Political Crisis Does Not Hamstring Effort WARN ON REPRESSION McNamara and Taylor Tell the President and Security Council of Their Mission Based on Recommendations Policy May Be Reviewed PRESIDENT GETS VIETNAM REPORT

WASHINGTON, Oct. 2—The United States said tonight that the war in South Vietnam might be won by the end of 1965 if the political crisis there did not "significantly" affect the military effort.