The Education Forum

A DEFECT IN THE MOORMAN PHOTO?

The grass in this copy is clearer than I've ever seen. I believe the photo was printed in a newspaper the day of the assassination so I can't see how this would be an artifact of alteration but I can't explain it as yet. This copy can be found if you search the article written by Clifford spiegelman.

If you expand the image and look between the two white lines just below the wall I think it is undeniable that the same slice of the grass appears twice. Two horizontal slices of the grass lay between the white lines. They are on top of one another and slightly offset. There are three or so very obvious similarities, but as you look closer there are many more. If you save the image you might be able to expand it more. Additional magnification allows you to see a dozen or more matches before it gets too blurry. Lawn6.jpg.ef4e61231e13d8779c9514f19de60ca4.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, this photo has been digitized and tampered with so many times it's hard to say what was in the original and what got added in later. 

FWIW, Tink once posted a photo of the photo taken in the mid-60's if I recall. Here it is:

MoormanCropped_version_of_Zippo_snapshot.jpg

40 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

Chris, this photo has been digitized and tampered with so many times it's hard to say what was in the original and what got added in later. 

FWIW, Tink once posted a photo of the photo taken in the mid-60's if I recall. Here it is:

MoormanCropped_version_of_Zippo_snapshot.jpg

Yes obviously digitized and likely some other filters applied. But I can't think of any process that would duplicate the image. I suppose it could be tampered with and faked, but I'm not sure why some one would go to the effort of making this tiny alteration that would most likely go unnoticed.

I find 9 out of 10 alteration claims in the Z film have rational answers. Every time one gets debunked I learn something new about photogrammetry. So if someone can offer a definitive explanation I would benefit by it. 

You don't have to be sorry because there absolutely is a duplication there. It does not matter to me what conspiracy theory could relate to this. I'm simply making an observation and looking for a logical answer. I'm certainly not going to waste my time on a conspiracy theory when someone might post a logical answer regarding the Optics.

Edited by Chris Bristow

2 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

There's a better version here, without the lines.

Mark, that is the same photo. In working with my copy I had to save it several times and jpg photos do degrade the more copies you make. Making a newer copy for people to look at is beneficial though, thank you.

14 hours ago, Chris Bristow said:

You don't have to be sorry because there absolutely is a duplication there. It does not matter to me what conspiracy theory could relate to this. I'm simply making an observation and looking for a logical answer. I'm certainly not going to waste my time on a conspiracy theory when someone might post a logical answer regarding the Optics.

The logical answer is that you're seeing something that isn't actually what you think it is.

19 hours ago, Chris Bristow said:

Mark, that is the same photo. In working with my copy I had to save it several times and jpg photos do degrade the more copies you make. Making a newer copy for people to look at is beneficial though, thank you.

I'm sorry about not reading your post more carefully. The repeating patterns are clearly there, so (unless they can be explained as compression artefacts), it seems likely that someone (digitally) retouched that area of the image.

file-20171129-12069-12zia6l-cropx2.png

34 minutes ago, Mark Ulrik said:

I'm sorry about not reading your post more carefully. The repeating patterns are clearly there, so (unless they can be explained as compression artefacts), it seems likely that someone (digitally) retouched that area of the image.

Maybe a compression program could go Haywire and just start repeating patterns. I don't know really, the only compression I am aware of is when it takes a specific group of connected pixels that all share the same grayscale number and remember the dimensions and positions of that block. That takes far less memory than remembering the position and scale number of each pixel independently. One error in the location data and the block of pixels appears in a different location or is a different size. That doesn't seem to account for what is in the photo as I understand compression. But maybe there's more complicated versions.

0000001.thumb.jpg.fccd4264e0260d048dd14f69d3f12d53.jpgI think I can give a reasonable answer now.  Here's a darkened and contrasted close up . Inside the orange circle there is a grid line visible that is within the Double Image I posted before, so the grid is also duplicated and offset the same as the rest of the doubled image.

The little irregular shaped batch of grid lines is a simple glitch from digitization. Maybe as simple as a JPEG artifact or another processing filter. That linear feature leaves no doubt that we are seeing a duplicated image. I believe it  is an image that was duplicated due to a digital memory problem that assigns two separate locations to the same set of pixels.

looking at the photo I just uploaded I'm afraid of lost a bit of the lower grid.

On 4/29/2023 at 2:39 PM, Mark Ulrik said:

Hey, Mark. Since you seem to know about this stuff more than I, perhaps you can help me with something that's been bugging me for more than a decade. The Archives allowed the late John Hunt to scan the rifle lift, and John kindly shared his scan with me on this forum. What's been bothering me is the line of black marks on the lower right side of the lift. These marks appear to be letters of some kind. I spent hours trying to figure out what they said. But when I backed away from my obsession I realized that these letters would have to be minuscule. So I then went to theory number two--that they were artifacts of some type. Any ideas? 

Edited by Pat Speer

8 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

Hey, Mark. Since you seem to know about this stuff more than I, perhaps you can help me with something that's been bugging me for more than a decade. The Archives allowed the late John Hunt to scan the rifle lift, and John kindly shared his scan with me on this forum. What's been bothering me is the line of black marks in the bottom right hand corner of the lift. These marks appear to be letters of some kind. I spent hours trying to figure out what they said. But when I backed away from my obsession I realized that these letters would have to be minuscule. So I then went to theory number two--that they were artifacts of some type. Any ideas? 

image.thumb.png.1d1b534fba776ce8eb3bb9cb93e83bc1.png

That's an amazing version of CE637. Thanks for the confidence, Pat, but I'm sure I'm not more qualified to render an opinion than anyone else. FWIW, they don't look too much like letters to me. There are similar spots in the left side of the image, right? it would be surprising to find letters in those places, and as you said, they would also have to be very tiny. That part of the barrel obviously wasn't particularly smooth or clean, but exactly what the spots represent is hard for me to say.

I realize this thread is about Moorman yet you bring up this print and I thought I should show you how confused they really were about it.

So much so Day can't tell us which side of the trigger guard he found it.  Notice the taped section on the RIGHT side of the trigger as he holds it up later that evening.
FWIW

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/the-evidence-is-the-conspiracy-the-carbine-on-the-6th-floor

Screenshot2023-05-03at7_59.23PMcopy.thumb.jpg.7368de9ebf6a2baa9ab2bde660a706af.jpg