The Education Forum

Big claims in new book

Cory Santos

Sean Fetter is on Twitter - SeanFetterJFK. For the most part he's currently just posting lots of social media stuff about the current war in Gaza, but it's interspersed with posts hyping his upcoming JFK volume. He responded quickly to a couple of my messages. He says the books will feature a lot of new interviews and documentation, and full details of how to order them will be posted in just a few days. I suggested that he should make a preview available so folks can see what they're in for before they order, so we'll see this week if he does.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Anthony Thorne said:

Sean Fetter is on Twitter - SeanFetterJFK. For the most part he's currently just posting lots of social media stuff about the current war in Gaza, but it's interspersed with posts hyping his upcoming JFK volume. He responded quickly to a couple of my messages. He says the books will feature a lot of new interviews and documentation, and full details of how to order them will be posted in just a few days. I suggested that he should make a preview available so folks can see what they're in for before they order, so we'll see this week if he does.

Good thinking.

Ruby of course was in the airforce. Not sure though how one would use that to tie the airforce in with the JFK assassination.

Not sure Paul.

Fetter hasn't shown all his cards yet with his JFK book, but based on his Twitter feed it's fair to say he's picked a side in the current Gaza conflict, and it's not with the folks who receive funding and weapons from the US. I'm not sure if this indicates where he might be going with his JFK volume, as a couple of his quick JFK posts mentioned the Ben Gurion nuclear dispute, and a couple of writers have attempted to square that circle with the background of Ruby. But the emphasis on the Air Force is novel, and with two books to fill I'm hopeful that there will be something of interest here.

Edited by Anthony Thorne

This paragraph in the press release stood out to me like a sore thumb:

"Under Cover of Night is the first truly serious, comprehensive and accurate work about the JFK assassination which has ever been produced by anyone."

I wonder what Jim DiEugenio, among others, thinks about none of his work being "truly serious" or "accurate."

Yeah, he hypes his own work strongly, but researchers who go deep into a particular area sometimes have a slanted perspective on the work of others who have gone in a different direction. Also - I gather the guy did either PR work or reporting at some point for Reuters, so he's probably keen to get bang for his buck with those press releases.  Big claims to live up to, Fetter will need to at least give us the the chapter headings, sample pages and examples of his writing and research to maintain any interest. If these books are properly footnoted and documented I'll be curious to read them, less so if they start citing interviews and documents that we can't see or verify for ourselves. It'd be a reach to fill two whole volumes with just junk though - surely one would suffice if that was the goal? - so hopefully he has something to show us next week.

Not sure if this is a clue as to some of the stuff in Fetter's book.

The History Matters site has a list of ARRB Medical exhibits, linked here.

https://history-matters.com/archive/contents/arrb/contents_arrb_med-exhibits.htm

The ARRB Master Set of Medical Exhibits brings together in one place much of the most important medical testimony and documents in the JFK assassination. These selection of documents is due to their use as exhibits during the questioning of medical witnesses by the Review Board in 1996 through 1998.

Most of the items at the above link are clickable and viewable. A handful have not been included, and so they're simply listed as 'not available, and they pop up in black on the above list, whereas all the stuff that you can click on and view is shown in blue.

Scroll down the page at the link above, till you get to the final entries that are in black. The final four are listed as follows

MD 223 - [NOT INCLUDED] Audiotape of David Lifton Telephone Interview of James W. Sibert on November 2,1966  
MD 224 - [NOT INCLUDED] Audiotape of David Lifton Telephone Interview of James W. Sibert on August 8,199O  
MD 225 - [NOT INCLUDED] Audiotape of Sean Fetter Telephone Interview of James W. Sibert on 11/3/92  
MD 226 - [NOT INCLUDED] Audiotape of Sean Fetter Telephone Interview of James W. Sibert on 8/31/93

Fetter interviewed Sibert twice. Sibert's Spartacus page is here.

https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKsibertW.htm

Sibert was in the US Air Force before joining the FBI. Fetter's book claims to be about figures in the US Air Force being involved in the assassination. Did Sibert give Fetter any leads or encourage others to talk to him? I wonder.

On 11/8/2023 at 1:45 PM, Cory Santos said:

Pretty big claims    Anyone know if they are backed up with any actual evidence or is it speculation and second hand accounts?

https://www.morningstar.com/news/pr-newswire/20231107ph60528/jfk-assassination-linked-to-usaf-historian

One thing that jumps out at me is his statement on Amazon where he says that claims of Mafia and CIA involvement are "red herrings." That right there makes me wonder about the book's value and the guy's research. If there were a Kindle version, I might buy one of the volumes to check it out, but he's only offering it as a hardback.

Amazon.com: Under Cover of Night: The United States Air Force and the Assassination of John F. Kennedy: 9798218283506: Fetter, Sean

Edited by Michael Griffith

5 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

One thing that jumps out at me is his statement on Amazon where he says that claims of Mafia and CIA involvement are "red herrings." That right there makes me wonder about the book's value and the guy's research. If there were a Kindle version, I might buy one of the volumes to check it out, but he's only offering it as a hardback.

Amazon.com: Under Cover of Night: The United States Air Force and the Assassination of John F. Kennedy: 9798218283506: Fetter, Sean

The book isn't even coming up as available for Australian purchasers. With no preview available on a website, limited purchase options, and his relatively unhelpful Twitter posts, it'll be hard to prioritise purchasing this book for a while.

12 hours ago, Anthony Thorne said:

The book isn't even coming up as available for Australian purchasers. With no preview available on a website, limited purchase options, and his relatively unhelpful Twitter posts, it'll be hard to prioritise purchasing this book for a while.

Yes, indeed. 

I get wary anytime I see an author insist that "only" this or that group was behind the assassination and that all other suspects are red herrings, false leads, etc. I have no problem when someone opines that the Mafia or the CIA was the main force behind the plot, as long as they don't insist that no other groups/elements were involved.