The Education Forum

Warren Burroughs, the Popcorn Man

T Weier

18 minutes ago, Bill Fite said:

LOL -- I've shown the common usage of the word torn wrt dollar bills.

I believe it's what the posters of the images labels them as.  

Since you didn't actually answer my question, I can then only conclude that you do not see any distinction between an intact dollar bill with a tear in it and a dollar bill that is torn completely into two or more pieces.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Bill Fite @Jean Ceulemans @Joe Bauer

Just spoke with John.  This is the front and back of his Easton ID or Lib card... something like that and has nothing to do with split bills.

He sees the front says "Warren Easton" in block letters

on back:

"Lee
Oswald
Adm (left)"

Could be wrong about "Adm"

Edited by David Josephs

1 minute ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

Since you didn't actually answer my question, I can then only conclude that you do not see any distinction between an intact dollar bill with a tear in it and a dollar bill that is torn completely into two or more pieces.

Bill (Fite) is right on this. The FBI 302 report is not proof that Oswald had a bill torn completely in half on him, but it is evidence, and Bill (Brown) said there was no evidence at all.

Bill Brown seems to struggle with the concept of probability, so I’ll spell it out. Based on the 302 report’s use of the words “bill torn”, there is a nonzero probability that the bill was, in fact, torn in half. No, that doesn’t prove the bill was torn in half, it is inconclusive, but the fact that “torn in half” is not explicitly specified in the report also does not prove that the bill was only partially torn. This isn’t rocket science guys. 

We just don’t know, and unless photos exist somewhere we’ll never know, but instead of pointlessly arguing like idiots over semantic bull****, why not look for actual evidence that could settle this?

I posted a DPD inventory sheet a few comments back with handwritten notes that (possibly) suggest that photos were taken of the money. There are some notations on there I don’t understand that could mean something totally different, but that sheet could be a potential lead. 

Another perspective on this: if you had a bill in your wallet with a small tear in it, you might not remark on it at all. If you had a bill ripped in half however, you would certainly remark on that, and saying that it is torn is a completely normal usage of that term. In terms of probability, I would say that a bill referred to as torn is more likely a bill torn in half as opposed to a bill with a small tear going by this logic. 

On 12/14/2023 at 7:41 PM, David Josephs said:

@Bill Fite @Jean Ceulemans @Joe Bauer

Just spoke with John.  This is the front and back of his Easton ID or Lib card... something like that and has nothing to do with split bills.

He sees the front says "Warren Easton" in block letters

on back:

"Lee
Oswald
Adm (left)"

Could be wrong about "Adm"

Thank you David and John.  Indeed, It had nothing to do with the split bills, but I had in my folder because some time ago I was thinking the writing on the card looked liked some sort of instructions (but it wasn't).

I still haven't found a better copy of that card, for some reason it's hard to find, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.  I think I found this copy in the Weisberg Archive (among unrelated stuff I believe), but this was in the very beginning when I got interested in the JFK case)

Edited by Jean Ceulemans

23 minutes ago, Bill Fite said:

Hilarious - there seem to be some who would say that this bill is not torn:

Actually, nobody is saying that. What we're saying is that "torn" can clearly have more than one meaning. And in the absence of clarification, no one can definitively say whether the bill was torn in two or just simply torn but intact.

On 12/14/2023 at 8:52 AM, Bill Brown said:

"After his arrest, the police found two halves of two different dollar bills in his wallet"

Nonsense.  Armstrong's opinion is not a source.  There is nothing to suggest that Oswald had two halves of two different dollar bills on his person when arrested.  If there was evidence of such, then it would have long been put forth by now.  Think.

Why is nobody commenting on the photo below, posted earlier? It's apparently from the Dallas Municipal Archives and Records Center. Seems relevant.

Dollar_bill_halves.png

Just now, Sandy Larsen said:

I didn't notice anybody posting the photo below. It's apparently from the Dallas Municipal Archives and Records Center. Seems relevant.

Dollar_bill_halves.png

I've discussed this before on this forum.  I even created a thread around it.  There is nothing about that piece of paper which makes it "relevant" to Oswald or the Kennedy assassination.