The Education Forum

Pompeo was Tucker Carlson's source

I don't think the title here. "Pompeo was Tucker's source" is a foregone conclusion at all. We  haven't heard who told Tucker. If, on the other hand,  it was Trump, it's a discredited  source with an axe to grind against the CIA, whose also embarrassed that he never released the files. But it's exactly  the type of cowardly thing Trump would do to shift blame. 

16 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

To me, the tell is that it was Pompeo's lawyer who called Carlson.

And Pompeo was not in the CIA at the time Carlson's show aired.

Neither was Tucker, it doesn't matter, you can't leave an intelligence agency in any capacity much less Head of the CIA, and then blab their secrets.There was a legal way to do this, and that was to open the files and they finagled their way not to. 

As Carlson says, he's phoned in his car by Pompeo's lawyer and told "You should know  that anyone who tells you the contents of classified documents has committed a crime". So why would Pompeo's lawyer phone Tucker to  inform Tucker  about the criminality of what his own client did? Why would Pompeo's lawyer incriminate Pompeo to Tucker? If Pompeo was the source, you don't think Pompeo could be prosecuted? Wouldn't you think he'd be aware of that, after he allegedly discussed options of assassinating Assange for the same crime?

17 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Roger:

Do you know a lot of nice sweetie pies who work for the CIA?

So I don't know where you are going with that.

This sounds very obstructionist, Jim.

I know where he's going. Even apart from legal liability, As Roger said, why would Pompeo as the source, trust Tucker knowing he would blab, and then have his lawyers threaten Tucker with releasing the information he gave him?

Then after all this, we're to believe Tucker that Trump will pick Pompeo to be his Secretary of Defense in a second term? Should that make sense?

Greg:but I wish there was a way to turn up the heat on this in the interests of the utter importance to history and America's interest in knowing the truth, to attempt to run this thing down, rather than this circus of Tucker Carlson throwing that out into the air and people going bananas over something which is at present in the genre of unverified anonymous gossip.

I agree completely Greg, Tucker will stand on not revealing his sources. He knows he can get away with this, so he does. Tucker says he was contacted by Pompeo's lawyers the next day! Why did he sit on it for a year and a half? So are we going to wait another year and a half for a followup on this?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Keven Hofeling said:

Tucker Carlson's lawsuit defense is mentioned in this video about Rachel Maddow using the "we are entertainment not news" defense in a defamation suit against her...

Actually it was reported by the AP before Maddow and is part of the court transcripts. Also reported in lots of newspapers. Maddow has a doctorate in journalism, whereas Carlson is just a frozen food heir. If this is true (first I’ve heard of it), he will never win. Maddow is I believe the most popular tv news commentator, and openly gay, which is probably why she is Carlson’s target rather than UPI or the various newspapers.

See https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/917747123/you-literally-cant-believe-the-facts-tucker-carlson-tells-you-so-say-fox-s-lawye

Edited by Denise Hazelwood
Added link

49 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I don't think the title here. "Pompeo was Tucker's source" is a foregone conclusion at all. We  haven't heard who told Tucker. If, on the other hand,  it was Trump, it's a discredited  source with an axe to grind against the CIA, whose also embarrassed that he never released the files. But it's exactly  the type of cowardly thing Trump would do to shift blame. 

Neither was Tucker, it doesn't matter, you can't leave an intelligence agency in any capacity much less Head of the CIA, and then blab their secrets.There was a legal way to do this, and that was to open the files and they finagled their way not to. 

As Carlson says, he's phoned in his car by Pompeo's lawyer and told "You should know  that anyone who tells you the contents of classified documents has committed a crime". So why would Pompeo's lawyer phone Tucker to  inform Tucker  about the criminality of what his own client did? Why would Pompeo's lawyer incriminate Pompeo to Tucker? If Pompeo was the source, you don't think Pompeo could be prosecuted? Wouldn't you think he'd be aware of that, after he allegedly discussed options of assassinating Assange for the same crime?

This sounds very obstructionist, Jim.

I know where he's going. Even apart from legal liability, As Roger said, why would Pompeo as the source, trust Tucker knowing he would blab, and then have his lawyers threaten Tucker with releasing the information he gave him?

Then after all this, we're to believe Tucker that Trump will pick Pompeo to be his Secretary of Defense in a second term? Should that make sense?

Greg:but I wish there was a way to turn up the heat on this in the interests of the utter importance to history and America's interest in knowing the truth, to attempt to run this thing down, rather than this circus of Tucker Carlson throwing that out into the air and people going bananas over something which is at present in the genre of unverified anonymous gossip.

I agree completely Greg, Tucker will stand on not revealing his sources. He knows he can get away with this, so he does. Tucker says he was contacted by Pompeo's lawyers the next day! Why did he sit on it for a year and a half? So are we going to wait another year and a half for a followup on this?

A little more than a month ago in response to one of your posts on another thread, after reviewing the Tucker Carlson videos in question, and seeing that Tucker Carlson had made a big production out of calling for Pompeo to be a guest on this particular segment in which Tucker was announcing confirmation of the involvement of the CIA in the JFKA from a source familiar with the withheld JFK records, I was led to speculate that it had actually been Pompeo who had been the source (I was suspicious that Tucker's announcement about Pompeo was intended to give Pompeo a kind of plausible deniability):

xgTQvrKh.png

The following video starts out with part of the hurrah Tucker was making about Pompeo declining to appear on his show to comment on the segment:

I had at the time been assuming that there was a friendly collusion going on between Tucker and Pompeo behind the scenes, but after hearing Tucker share his animosity toward Pompeo on the recent Rogan interview, that assumption is definitely out the window. Another possibility might be that Tucker was opportunistically trying to set up the segment to have Pompeo offer more to Tucker about what he or another had already disclosed to him about the involvement of the CIA, and maybe the call to Tucker from Pompeo's lawyer was really a way for Pompeo to communicate to Tucker that he should shut up about it because of Pompeo's culpability for disclosing classified information to Tucker?

Edited by Keven Hofeling

34 minutes ago, Brian Scantland said:

I consider Morley a JJA appeaser...

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

So why would Pompeo's lawyer phone Tucker to  inform Tucker  about the criminality of what his own client did?

1 hour ago, Keven Hofeling said:

Another possibility might be that Tucker was opportunistically trying to set up the segment to have Pompeo offer more to Tucker about what he or another had already disclosed to him about the involvement of the CIA, and maybe the call to Tucker from Pompeo's lawyer was really a way for Pompeo to communicate to Tucker that he should shut up about it because of Pompeo's culpability for disclosing classified information to Tucker?

Opportunistically?, or desperately! Given that you think it was Pompeo. Then who holds all the cards here?

Setting  up a segment to out himself with Tucker  that he revealed secret files to Tucker? Are you kidding?

It would be political suicide for Pompeo to be caught revealing the JFK files to anyone! Do you think he wants that?

What would end up happening to Tucker?, absolutely nothing! He did, and nothing has happened!

Earlier, Pompeo could have conceivably been a hero to  both the right and left, and to the reputation of the Trump Administration for "draining the swamp "if he came out before the deadline  and said despite pressure from the Intelligence agencies, he's going on record as wanting the files released  no matter what they say  because now 60 years later, the public has a right to know. And that would be overwhelmingly popular with the public at large!

But after refusing to open the files and winning the fight to not reveal the files.

Answer me this. What would  then be Pompeo's motive in speaking  to Tucker about his summation of the files?

If you believe this nonsense, then he missed his chance and then would be needlessly throwing his political career away!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

1 hour ago, Roger Odisio said:
Why would Pompeo do that, tell Carlson about the files?

I think Robert and William replied to this effectively.

The whole last day pleading by the CIA with Trump had been well known for a long time when Carlson did his show.

Pompeo was a regular at Fox.  

So if you put 2 and 2 together...

I think this was probably why Pompeo's lawyer called Carlson and threatened him the day after. Because this was supposed to be off the record.

And that clearly coincides with the Napolitano experience with Trump.

9 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Opportunistically?, or desperately! Given that you think it was Pompeo. Then who holds all the cards here?

KH: "Desperately" might describe it. The odds are good that Tucker was simply gambling for a sensational outcome. And I wouldn't say that "I think it was Pompeo."  It would be more accurate to say that I'm willing to entertain the possibility.

Setting  up a segment to out himself with Tucker  that he revealed secret files to Tucker? Are you kidding?

KH: It was Tucker trying to set up the segment, and obviously Pompeo was not onboard for that.

It would be political suicide for Pompeo to be caught revealing the JFK files to anyone! Do you think he wants that?

KH: Pompeo is full of himself and lacks discretion, even publicly before audiences (See video below). It's not difficult to imagine how the same thing manifests behind the scenes in "off-the-record" conversations with journalists like Tucker.

What would end up happening to Tucker?, absolutely nothing! He did, and nothing has happened!

KH: Tucker has made it pretty clear that he (understandably) loathes Pompeo, so obviously he wouldn't have cared what the consequences to Pompeo would have been.

Earlier, Pompeo could have conceivably been a hero to  both the right and left, and to the reputation of the Trump Administration for "draining the swamp "if he came out before the deadline  and said despite pressure from the Intelligence agencies, he's going on record as wanting the files released  no matter what they say  because now 60 years later, the public has a right to know. And that would be overwhelmingly popular with the public at large!

KH: It doesn't appear that is the stuff that Pompeo is made of...

But after refusing to open the files and winning the fight to not reveal the files.

KH: He goes on to walk the streets as a free man, with potential for a future political career.

Answer me this. What would then be Pompeo's motive in speaking to Tucker about his summation of the files?

KH: Same motive Pompeo had for bragging about the criminal proclivities of the CIA in the video below. He's full of himself and lacks discretion.

If you believe this nonsense, then he missed his chance and then would be needlessly throwing his political career away!

KH: Missed his chance to be prosecuted for revealing classified information? Seems to me that it would be that scenario that would have involved throwing his political career away, but it wasn't Tucker's responsibility to worry about that. However, the call from Pompeo's lawyer the next day may be an indication that Pompeo had started to worry about it. "To be continued," perhaps?

Nice one Keven, 👋

Host: Re JFK assassination, you said you've spoke to a CIA official (the official Tucker claims had read the withheld assassination files and concluded the remaining files implicate members of the CIA)

Tucker Carlson: I spoke to a someone who had, and this is confirmed, this is not a guess, someone who had read the files that are currently withheld, at the urging of the two different CIA directors ''don't release these files'' 60 years after. I said what's in the files? They implicate operations directorate under James Angleton

If you look at Tucker's quote, he gives away an interesting detail. This person was contacted by two former CIA directors after Trump made the announcement of releasing the files and was urged ''don't release these files''.

The last time Trump publicly met with Tucker was Aug. 24, 2023. If it was Trump, would he sit down with Tucker and do an interview with him after previously being thrown under the bus? Because Tucker appears to have revealed contents of off the record discussions about the JFK files with whoever it is (in December 2022). And now we know Tucker was threatened by Pompeo's lawyer. It's fairly obvious it was Mike Pompeo.

I find it hard to believe Trump has a clue what is even in the files.

Edited by Robert Reeves

3 hours ago, Keven Hofeling said:

A little more than a month ago in response to one of your posts on another thread, after reviewing the Tucker Carlson videos in question, and seeing that Tucker Carlson had made a big production out of calling for Pompeo to be a guest on this particular segment in which Tucker was announcing confirmation of the involvement of the CIA in the JFKA from a source familiar with the withheld JFK records, I was led to speculate that it had actually been Pompeo who had been the source (I was suspicious that Tucker's announcement about Pompeo was intended to give Pompeo a kind of plausible deniability):

xgTQvrKh.png

The following video starts out with part of the hurrah Tucker was making about Pompeo declining to appear on his show to comment on the segment:

I had at the time been assuming that there was a friendly collusion going on between Tucker and Pompeo behind the scenes, but after hearing Tucker share his animosity toward Pompeo on the recent Rogan interview, that assumption is definitely out the window. Another possibility might be that Tucker was opportunistically trying to set up the segment to have Pompeo offer more to Tucker about what he or another had already disclosed to him about the involvement of the CIA, and maybe the call to Tucker from Pompeo's lawyer was really a way for Pompeo to communicate to Tucker that he should shut up about it because of Pompeo's culpability for disclosing classified information to Tucker?

This line of thought doesn't work, Keven, because in the first instance it contains no reason for Pompeo to push Trump to conceal CIA records, then, based their records he saw, tell Carlson they were in fact involved. Setting aside schizophrenia.

Nor would Carlson, at the same time he is revealing what his informant (Tucker in your version) told him confidentially then invite the same person to talk to him about it publicly. The informant must have already requested confidentiality and both he and Carlson knew Carlson did not have to, and would not, reveal his source.  As well as anyone Carlson knows confidential sources are the lifeblood of journalism. 

It's much more likely Carlson challenged Pompeo to come on his show in order to challenge him about the things his real source had said. Knowing Pompeo would refuse. 

Carlson did not need Pompeo to tell him about the vulnerability of confidential sources and Pompeo knew that.  That wasn't the reason for the call.

7 minutes ago, Roger Odisio said:

This line of thought doesn't work, Keven, because in the first instance it contains no reason for Pompeo to push Trump to conceal CIA records, then, based their records he saw, tell Carlson they were in fact involved. Setting aside schizophrenia.

KH: I agree with you that such a scenario contains inconsistencies, and is not strictly logical, but human beings are often inconsistent and illogical, particularly when intoxicants are introduced into the picture, such as political power. It is not difficult for me to imagine a situation in which Pompeo dutifully executes his bureaucratic obligation to protect the reputation of his agency in his official capacity as Director of the CIA by discouraging Trump from releasing the records, then brags about it and the reasons why in an unofficial conversation with Tucker Carlson which he specifies to be "off the record." And indeed, "schizophrenic" may very well be an apt description of a CIA Director like Pompeo drunk off his ass on power.

Nor would Carlson, at the same time he is revealing what his informant (Tucker in your version) told him confidentially then invite the same person to talk to him about it publicly. The informant must have already requested confidentiality and both he and Carlson knew Carlson did not have to, and would not, reveal his source.  As well as anyone Carlson knows confidential sources are the lifeblood of journalism. 

KH: I agree with you that it would not be fully in keeping with the best principles of journalism, but again, we are dealing with the presence of the intoxicant of power influencing Tucker Carlson at the height of his ascendancy as the most popular host at Fox. Mix into that what I would characterize as Tucker's contempt for Pompeo, and you just might have the formula by which Tucker decided to skate along the margins of journalistic principles in the hope of scoring a big disclosure on his show. After all, Tucker had already made it clear that he was going to maintain the anonymity of his source, and Pompeo was a frequent guest on Fox at the time, so Pompeo could very well have accepted the invitation and made the decision for himself about whether or not to offer more than routine bureaucratic doublespeak on the show. 

It's much more likely Carlson challenged Pompeo to come on his show in order to challenge him about the things his real source had said. Knowing Pompeo would refuse.

KH: I question why you are assuming that Tucker would expect Pompeo to refuse his invitation if Pompeo were not the source. That Pompeo refused to appear, and that Tucker made such a big deal out of Pompeo refusing to appear actually seems to me to be more logical if Pompeo were the source, than if he were not. It would not have otherwise been at all unusual for Pompeo to appear and recite the standard justifications for the CIA's position, but something was going on behind the scenes which motivated Tucker to put Pompeo's refusal in the spotlight, and that motivated Pompeo's lawyer to call Tucker to threaten him the very next day. Those two things make a lot more sense to me if Pompeo was the source.

Carlson did not need Pompeo to tell him about the vulnerability of confidential sources and Pompeo knew that.  That wasn't the reason for the call.

KH: If Pompeo was the source, then he obviously would have been very distressed by Tucker's story and the spotlight that Tucker had shined on his refusal to appear on the show. It makes perfect sense to me that he would want to communicate the gravity of the situation through his lawyer the next day, even if for no other reason than to get Tucker to lay off of him.

5 hours ago, Roger Odisio said:

That is my theory. Hard to believe Pompeo was Tucker's source. More likely Trump who btw can't be trusted about anything.

5 hours ago, Robert Morrow said:

That is my theory. Hard to believe Pompeo was Tucker's source. More likely Trump who btw can't be trusted about anything.

I doubt Trump is Tucker's source because Tucker knows he isn't trustworthy.