The Education Forum

Det. Buddy Walthers and an eventful day

This is a little known book by Eric Tagg.

But I still marvel at the day this this guy had on 11/22/63.

Very few people  read the book so even though its old, I am glad Jeff Carter reviewed it.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/review-of-eric-tagg-s-brush-with-history

Edited by James DiEugenio

Take special note of the bullet, and the also the files found at the Paines' home by Buddy W.

Al Maddox, Walther's friend and colleague,  later revealed that the object found in the grass was a bullet.

12 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Take special note of the bullet, and the also the files found at the Paines' home by Buddy W.

Al Maddox, Walther's friend and colleague,  later revealed that the object found in the grass was a bullet.

Thanks to James Carter and James DiEugenio for bringing to light this volume. 

The JFK/RFK1 assassinations can never receive too much coverage or thought.  

7 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Jim,

The only thing I would really take issue with is Footnote# 7. He said the index cards were of "Cuban sympathizers". The assumption was that they were pro-Castro Cubans.

I don't think that's the case. If Oswald was trying to infiltrate the anti-Castro community on behalf of the FBI, or even for his own purposes, it would make more sense that those cards contained the names of some of the exiles.

Steve Thomas

English is so much fun. A "Cuban sympathizer" could also be anti-Castro.

Glad for a Jeff Carter article and for more on Walters. Craig held in testimony that the station wagon he saw Oswald run to was one with a built-in luggage rack. Ruth Paine's 1955 Chevrolet Belair station wagon had no luggage rack. Didn't someone here posit Oswald knew another Mrs. with a station wagon? A Mrs. Payne??!!

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

Jim,

The only thing I would really take issue with is Footnote# 7. He said the index cards were of "Cuban sympathizers". The assumption was that they were pro-Castro Cubans.

I don't think that's the case. If Oswald was trying to infiltrate the anti-Castro community on behalf of the FBI, or even for his own purposes, it would make more sense that those cards contained the names of some of the exiles.

Steve Thomas

I believe that Oswald learned this behavior pattern from George Bouhe. I'm not saying he was "trained" by Bouhe, just that he learned this pattern from him. This is in the days before computer databases.

WC TESTIMONY OF IGOR VLADIMIR VOSHININ

http://jfkassassinat...ny/voshin_i.htm

Mr. VOSHININ - Yeah - and as far as I know Mr. Bouhe even kept files and still keeps files on everybody - when anybody was born, baptized, or whatever happened to everybody.
Mr. JENNER - I see.
Mr. VOSHININ - He even showed me a file and he said, "Say, you came here, I immediately opened a file on you."
I say, "What for?"
And he say, "Well, you know, I forget things - so I keep a file on everybody."

FBI interview of George Bouhe:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10672&relPageId=400&search=Bouhe

On November 28, 1963 Bouhe was interviewed by SA John Flanagan about any possible relationship between Jack Ruby and Lee Oswald. In the course of the interview, Bouhe "produced a card on which he kept addresses and this card bore the notation dated November 1, 1963, 602 Elsbeth..."

“Following his residence at the YMCA, he said Oswald secured a room in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, but he could not recall this address, nor did he have a record of it in his papers. At this point Mr. Bouhe produced a card on which he kept addresses.”

(I believe that “1963” was a misprint. It should have been “1962”).

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

Jim,

Steve Thomas

hi Steve -  you are correct that the phrase “Cuban sympathizers” is ambiguous and could refer to “pro” or “anti” Castro interests.

The metal cases themselves disappeared after being taken by Walthers to police headquarters. During Walthers’ WC testimony, Liebeler was careful and deliberate to get him on the record saying he didn’t really determine the contents. This is contradicted by Walthers’ own investigative report written on 11/22/63, as can be seen here:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=233642#relPageId=7

Due to this effort to deflect attention away from these metal cases, there has been speculation that the cases may have actually belonged to Michael Paine. This concept is bolstered by Paine’s admission that he sought out “intellectual conversations or debates concerning world affairs” with SMU students, and endeavoured to determine the “pulse” of politics in the Dallas area.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=11640#relPageId=203

However, as you point out with the example of Bouhe, the keeping of cards with indexed information regarding political beliefs was not unusual in this milieu. These metal cases may have been simply stored in the garage and originated elsewhere. Of note, of course, is that the Warren Commission made the effort to downplay and neutralize Walthers' information on these items. 

28 minutes ago, Jeff Carter said:

hi Steve -  you are correct that the phrase “Cuban sympathizers” is ambiguous and could refer to “pro” or “anti” Castro interests.

Due to this effort to deflect attention away from these metal cases, there has been speculation that the cases may have actually belonged to Michael Paine.

Jeff,

Thank you for your response.

Because of his reported contacts with the Alpha 66 guys at the house on Harlendale, his activities in New Orleans with Carlos Bringuer and the exiles training down near Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans, and the report of either Oswald or an Oswald impersonator trying to board a Cuban raiding boat in Miami, my bet is on Oswald.

Steve Thomas

Good review Jeff.  I'd like to read the book.  I still believe those seven little file cabinets belonged to the Paine's.  How would Oswald have toted them around from Fort Worth to Dallas to New Orleans then back to Irving?  Michael Paine was framing Oswald over the ironing board  about the files the afternoon of 11/22/63 to I thought a DPD officer, maybe it was Walthers.

Nice one Ron. 😃

I mean Leslie.

21 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Many years ago, I recall seeing some articles by Al Maddox and likely in the National Enquirer. Very interesting information, but I discarded those materials over twenty years ago. 

23 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

This is a little known book by Eric Tagg.

But I still marvel at the day this this guy had on 11/22/63.

Very few people  read the book so even though its old, I am glad Jeff Carter reviewed it.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/review-of-eric-tagg-s-brush-with-history

Thanks for posting, Jim. Very good article.