The Education Forum

Fred Litwins New Podcast

Gerry Down

Fred Litwin has launched a podcast and is currently on episode 7. Here are some interesting episodes so far:

• Episode 1: This episode contained some useful info on the JFK files. An interesting point I had not known before is that NARA originally held a lot of its files on floppy disks which subsequently got corrupted. Anyone familiar with the floppy disks of the 1990s will know how easy they could fail. If I understood episode 1 correctly, what this means is that the Mary Ferrell website would have had access to a lot more of NARAs files had these floppy disks not broken.
  • Episodes 2, 3 and 4: Nothing of note stood out for me in these episodes but others might have a different experience. 
  • Episode 5: This was an interview of Steve Roe who gave an interesting biography of Walker.
  • Episode 6: In this interview of Gus Russo, Russo mentions his time in the making of the 1993 PBS documentary Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald? From the sounds of it, as part of the making of that documentary there were many interesting interviews conducted on key people who did not make the final cut of being entered into the documentary. It sounds like there could be key interviews sitting on a shelf somewhere where most JFKA researchers have never had access to them.
  • Episode 7: In this interview of Dave Perry, Perry mentions a book written specifically on the death of Lee Bowers which I had not heard of before. The book is titled JFK Assassination Eyewitness: Rush To Conspiracy.

Hopefully Litwin will provide more interesting interviews in the future. Its good to get both sides of the JFKA debate for balance when researching the case.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

Fred Litwin has launched a podcast and is currently on episode 7. Here are some interesting episodes so far:

• Episode 1: This episode contained some useful info on the JFK files. An interesting point I had not known before is that NARA originally held a lot of its files on floppy disks which subsequently got corrupted. Anyone familiar with the floppy disks of the 1990s will know how easy they could fail. If I understood episode 1 correctly, what this means is that the Mary Ferrell website would have had access to a lot more of NARAs files had these floppy disks not broken.
  • Episodes 2, 3 and 4: Nothing of note stood out for me in these episodes but others might have a different experience. 
  • Episode 5: This was an interview of Steve Roe who gave an interesting biography of Walker.
  • Episode 6: In this interview of Gus Russo, Russo mentions his time in the making of the 1993 PBS documentary Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald? From the sounds of it, as part of the making of that documentary there were many interesting interviews conducted on key people who did not make the final cut of being entered into the documentary. It sounds like there could be key interviews sitting on a shelf somewhere where most JFKA researchers have never had access to them.
  • Episode 7: In this interview of Dave Perry, Perry mentions a book written specifically on the death of Lee Bowers which I had not heard of before. The book is titled JFK Assassination Eyewitness: Rush To Conspiracy.

Hopefully Litwin will provide more interesting interviews in the future. Its good to get both sides of the JFKA debate for balance when researching the case.

I noticed years ago that the statements of those interviewed by Russo for PBS were far more extensive in Russo's book than they were on television. This leads me to believe Russo himself has copies of the original interviews. If so, these should be shared with the research community. I mean, it's not like evil PBS is going to turn his life upside down if he gives Rex Bradford access to tapes he recorded while working for PBS.

PBS was mostly funded by the public. Russo was paid to conduct the interviews. Let the public hear what it rightfully owns. 

Edited by Pat Speer

3 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

I noticed years ago that the statements of those interviewed by Russo for PBS were far more extensive in Russo's book than they were on television. This leads me to believe Russo himself has copies of the original interviews. If so, these should be shared with the research community. I mean, it's not like evil PBS is going to turn his life upside down if he gives Rex Bradford access to tapes he recorded while working for PBS.

PBS was mostly funded by the public. Russo was paid to conduct the interviews. Let the public hear what it rightfully owns. 

Pat, Gus did not conduct all the interviews. 

8 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

Episode 7: In this interview of Dave Perry, Perry mentions a book written specifically on the death of Lee Bowers which I had not heard of before. The book is titled JFK Assassination Eyewitness: Rush To Conspiracy.

I noted this book in the thread on the mysterious deaths. I was reminded that a “respected researcher” reviewed it on Amazon. The review was literally a “don’t waste your time” but offered no specific critiques for consideration and threw in a few ad hominem attacks on the author.

https://www.amazon.com/Jfk-Assassination-Eyewitness-Conspiracy-Bowers-ebook/dp/B0792L9NXX/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I read Russo’s Die by the Sword and I agree that Cuba has far more to do with the JFK assassination than Vietnam. The Kennedys wanted Cuba off the table by the 1964 election. They were pursuing a dual-track of reaching out through back channels as well as assassination. Cuban intelligence was and is very good and had thoroughly penetrated the exile community. In fact, a spy for Cuba (of Puerto Rican ancestry) had worked for US intelligence since the 1980s and was only discovered in 2001.

This doesn’t mean Castro did it or was aware of any Cuban plots. But many of the higher ups in Cuba thought they got thrown under the bus by the Soviets after the Cuban Missile Crisis. They felt used as pawns to get rid of a threat to the Soviets from missiles in Turkey but they themselves were still vulnerable to sabotage and assassinations with the threat of invasion only hinging on a promise from JFK.

One detail in Russo’s book I don’t agree with is his speculation that Oswald was frequently doubling back on his way from the rooming house to wherever he was going as a precaution against being tailed. But this would add several minutes to an already tight or impossible timeline to place him in the time and position to encounter Tippit.

33 minutes ago, Kevin Balch said:

I noted this book in the thread on the mysterious deaths. I was reminded that a “respected researcher” reviewed it on Amazon. The review was literally a “don’t waste your time” but offered no specific critiques for consideration and threw in a few ad hominem attacks on the author.

https://www.amazon.com/Jfk-Assassination-Eyewitness-Conspiracy-Bowers-ebook/dp/B0792L9NXX/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Kevin, J. Gary Shaw is a respected researcher by some other respected researchers along with some readers of information like myself.  His interest goes all the way back to the assassination itself as somewhat of a local.  He will be referenced in a new topic I'm about to start.

There is an article, maybe two on Kennedys and King if anyone is interested in a different perspective on Mr. Litwin.   

1 minute ago, Ron Bulman said:

Kevin, J. Gary Shaw is a respected researcher by some other respected researchers along with some readers of information like myself.  His interest goes all the way back to the assassination itself as somewhat of a local.  He will be referenced in a new topic I'm about to start.

There is an article, maybe two on Kennedys and King if anyone is interested in a different perspective on Mr. Litwin.   

As I suggested before, A “respected researcher” could surely quite easily provide a few specific reasons to back up his negative review and refrain from an ad hominem attack. He did not.

19 hours ago, Steve Roe said:

Pat, Gus did not conduct all the interviews. 

Ok. But the point still stands. Much as Bugliosi used transcripts for the unedited mock trial testimony for his book--and never made these transcripts available to anyone else--Russo has access to interviews that were never broadcast or published. This can rightfully lead one to suspect they are hiding something. Release the damn things. There's probably nothing very explosive about them. But they should be made available. 

P.S. After reading Bugliosi's book and noting his reliance upon transcripts for the mock trial which included testimony never broadcast, I contacted Gerry Spence to see if he had the full transcript and could make that available through the Mary Ferrell Foundation. Well, Spence was not happy. He said he was unaware that a full transcript existed and was displeased that one was provided Bugliosi but not himself. When I brought this situation to the attention of Bugliosi's biggest fan, DVP, he agreed with me and as I recall contacted Bugliosi to see if the transcript could be released. But met a stone wall. 

Edited by Pat Speer