The Education Forum

Ultimate Sacrifice by Thom Hartmann & Lamar Waldron

John Simkin

1. While I had not heard of it, I am not surprised that there was something called a secret anti-Castro activity called AMWORLD, either for a CIA operation or a broader government wide operation [such as Mongoose] during 1963. When I was researching by book, the Castro Obsession, I was a bit puzzled by the fact that the various covert activities that year - with the exception of AMLASH/Cubela; and AMTRUNK - did not have a code name; they included Oliva's consolidation of all Cubans into a single unit in the US Army; Artime's activities in Central America Hinckle and Turner say it was called Second Naval Guerrilla but both Rafael Quintero and Sam Halpern told me they never heard of any such thing]; Commandos Mambises, and the hit and run sabotage operation run by JMWAVE out of Miami, etc., all of which I describe in detail in my book. But reading some of the Ultimate Sacrifice excerpts etc., it is clear to me that they are talking about some of the same things.

2. It’s no secret that Cyrus Vance was leading a good bit of the effort although the entire anti-Castro operation according to documents was overseen the State Department’s Coordinator of Cuban Affairs, beginning in early January 1963. That job initially was held by Sterling Cottrell who was succeeded by John Crimmins.

3. Alexander Haig, in his book, INNER CIRCLES [page 109] identifies "Cyrus Vance as the executive agent for the entire federal government in dealing with Cuba and the threat the Castro's regime posed to the Western Hemisphere. This included responsibility for coordinating a secret war against Cuba that encompassed sabotage, commando raises, and propaganda and other clandestine activities." That could have been AMWORLD.

4. I do not believe, however, there was a Dec. 1, 1963 date scheduled for an invasion of Cuba nor do I believe - as indicated by what I have read of Waldron's account - that the Mafia was involved in this effort.

5. The authors say the pledge against an invasion never went into effect because Castro refused on-site inspections of the missile withdrawals. Whether the no-invasion pledge was valid or not is still an open question. It came up again in the early 1970s during the Nixon administration when the Soviets were sending nuclear powered submarines to Cienfuegos for refueling and, to the best of my recollection, the no invasion pledge was still in dispute. Minutes of a Nov. 12, 1962, Excom meeting, notes that: “The President commented that an assurance covering invasion does not ban covert actions or an economic blockade or tie our hands completely. We can’t give the impression that Castro is home free.” I don’t think there is any documentation that shows Kennedy considered the pledge null and void. Subsequent documents make it clear that U2 inspection overflights were ongoing to verify missile withdrawal, with Washington concerned a U2 might be downed by a SAM missile. As outlined by the authors, the no-invasion pledge would not have applied in any event, if there was a coup in Cuba and the coup leaders asked for international help.

6. It sounds like a cop-out to me where the authors say they know, but won’t identify, the so-called “coup leader.” The excuse about violating national security laws at this late date is pretty lame. I doubt that anyone would prosecute them.

7. Another graph says they have discovered a Dec. 10, 1963, cable sent to the CIA director, and attributed to a “western diplomat”, reporting “Che Guevara was alleged to be under house arrest for plotting to overthrow Castro.” Having worked at the Miami Herald’s Latin staff for many years, I can’t tell you how many similar unfounded rumors - from such sources - kept popping up, ranging from Castro’s assassination to Guevara’s disappearance. If Guevara had been under house arrest for plotting to overthrow Castro, he never would have been allowed to leave Cuba.

8. They say Cy Vance was the “only man” who knew everything about this plot besides Robert Kennedy, and that Vance “was one of the few military leaders who knew the full scope of C-Day while the plan was active.” The reason that Vance drafted the plan - if he did - is because under a new June 19, 1963, multi-agency covert action program against Cuba, Vance, as Secretary of the Army, was designated by President Kennedy as “the executive agent for the entire federal government in dealing with Cuba [Al Haig, Inner Circles, page 109].

9. Among others were generals, Max Taylor, Joe Carroll, etc. along with John McCone, Richard Helms, Des Fitzgerald and key field operatives such as David Morales and Dave Phillips. They say there is no evidence that J. Edgar Hoover knew about it. Why should Hoover know? He didn’t know anything about any of the other covert operations against Cuba either, Bay of Pigs, Mongoose, etc. Others likely to have known about such a plan were Joe Califano [Vance’s aide] and Alexander Haig, then an Army colonel, both actively involved in the anti-Castro efforts. Both are still alive, both have written memoirs. I interviewed Haig at his home in West Palm Beach for my own book and we discussed Cuba extensively. He gave no indication such a plan existed. Califano refused several interview requests, but he does deal with Cuba in a chapter in his 2004 book and reiterates again that both he and LBJ think Castro had a hand in the assassination.

10. I find it difficult to believe that if the coup plan as it is described by the authors existed, that we would not have heard of it previously. Several of the people listed above have written memoirs, i.e, Helms, Phillips, etc. and make no mention of it, even though they discuss other such covert operations. The authors also error in saying that the CIA planed to assassinate Castro began in 1959 under Vice President Nixon. I also dispute that the CIA – without telling the Kennedys – was continuing to work with the Mafia on plot against Castro in the fall of 1963. I don’t believe that. And there is certainly no indication of that in either the Church committee report or the CIA IG’S 1967 report on plots to assassinate Castro. In fact, the Church Committee says explicitly that: “the first action against the life of a Cuban leader sponsored by the CIA” occurred in July 1960.

11. It is also odd, that the authors don’t mention Sam Giancani, who was involved with the CIA in assassination plots against Castro. There were two CIA/Mafia plots to assassinate Castro, one originated with Richard Bissell [or Sheffield Edwards, depending on who you believe] in August 1960; Robert Kennedy, according to declassified documents, became aware of it in May 1962 when he was alerted by Hoover that he had evidence Giancani’s girlfriend was sleeping with the President. Bobby then got a briefing from Lawrence Houston, the CIA's general consul, and Sheffield Edwards, the CIA’S security chief on the first Mafia-CIA attempt against Castro. The only other recorded Mafia-CIA attempt to assassinate Castro was underway at the same time – unknown to Bobby Kennedy – this time under the direction of Bill Harvey, head of Task Force W, the CIA component of Operation Mongoose. It was essentially a resurrection of the failed earlier Mafia plot.

12. The authors also mention Operation Amtrunk as being a CIA operation which looked for disaffected Cuban military officers. It was a CIA operation, but one that was forced on the CIA. The operation originated – as shown in declassified documents in my possession - with two Miamians exiled from Cuba, George Volsky. Their codename for it was Operation Leonardo. Logistical support for it was essentially forced on the CIA by the Kennedy White House, through the influence of NYTimes correspondent Tad Szulc, a close friend of Volsky’s.

13. It appears the authors rely heavily on Enrique Ruiz-Williams. While he was very close to Bobby Kennedy, I think he was less important the he led the authors to believe and not nearly as important – or any closer to – Bobby Kennedy than Erneido Oliva [who is not even indexed in the book. Oliva was designated by President Kennedy [an article appeared in the NYTimes] as the representative of the Bay of Pigs Brigade. His liaison at the Pentagon was Al Haig.

14. My own conclusion is that AMWORLD – if that is the codename for the operation – was one among many potential plans to get rid of Castro and that it was “a just in case” plan, that may or may not have been tied in with AMLASH [Rolando Cubela] and perhaps Manuel Artime and Erneido Oliva, both captured at the Bay of Pigs, who became very close to Bobby Kennedy. As noted in my own book [see pages 187-188], and as related to me by Oliva, he and Artime [Ruiz-Williams was not present] met in mid-January 1963 with Bobby Kennedy – less than a month after they had been released from Cuban prisoners - they met Kennedy at his home in Hickory Hill, Virgina. There, according to Oliva, he outlined a new anti-Castro plan to them. Artime would set up guerrilla camps in Central America and Oliva would integrate all the Cubans in the US military into a single unit and the two projects would eventually mesh.

15. In their excerpts summary, the authors express amazement at one point that “a check of newspaper files from the summer and fall of 1963 uncovered a few articles confirming that there had been activity by Kennedy-backed Cuban exiles in Central America at the time.” No wonder, because by then, Artime’s deputy, Rafael Quintero had been traveling back and forth to Costa Rica and Nicaragua arranging to set up the Artime camps with about 300 recruits and it had already started to get attention in the Miami newspapers.

16. I have a series of lengthy declassified documents obtained at the LBJ Library in Austin, prepared in advance of a Dec. 19, 1963, briefing for LBJ Cuba, including a 22-page draft document dated Dec. 15, 1963 that reviews “Current Cuba Policy.” It starts out by noting that: “The bare minimum objective of our police is a Cuba which poses no threat to its neighbors and which is not a Soviet satellite. In moving towards this objective we have rejected the options of unprovoked U.S. military intervention in Cuba and of an effective, total blockade around Cuba – primarily because they would risk another US/USSR confrontation. Instead, we are engaged in a variety of unilateral, bilateral, and multilateral measures, both defensive and offensive, which stop short of these drastic measures.”

MY OWN COMMENT: It hardly seems likely that such a memorandum for the president would be written two weeks after an alleged invasion was scheduled without any mention of it.

17. Finally, I close with an email exchange with Oliva on March 28, 2000, as a followup to an interview I had with him earlier that month in Washington.

Q – Did anyone else attend the January 1963 meeting at Hickory Hill in addition to Bobby Kennedy, Artime and yourself?

A – No one else was present during that particular meeting with Bobby Kennedy. However, the information I provided to you can be easily corroborated. Artime spent more than six million dollars in Central America with its paramilitary operations and I was, until the end of the program, in charge of the military side as Alexander Haig states in his Inner Circle book.

Q – What exactly did Bobby Kennedy tell you other than they were going to fund the Artime program with $6 million and create the Cuban unit in the U.S. military?

A – That was the main topic of our conversation?

Q – Did he at anytime indicate that it would eventually lead to Castro’s overthrow? And, if so, by invasion or a joint operation between the Cuban unit and Artime’s group?

A – At that time it was not discussed any invasion of Cuba. Only that the two programs would eventually join forces to facilitate the liberation of Cuba. How? I never asked that, but the commitment on my program was open to the public to see. I have in my possession many clippings of interviews I granted while training at Fort Benning and Fort Sill. In those interviews my expectations and understanding of the training provided by the US Army, Navy and Air Force.

Q – You said you finished your plan – requested in September (1963) – for the Cuban unit in December whey they told you it was no longer needed. Can you tell me if the plan contemplated an invasion?

A – As stated before, no.

Q – What exactly was Artime’s group supposed to accomplish?

A – By attacking targets of opportunity [in Cuba], infiltrating personnel to reorganize the underground in Cuba, he would have created the favorable conditions for a larger military action against Castro.

All this, of course, after the famous – or infamous – K-K [Kennedy-Khrushchev/NO INVASION] pact.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should also be noted (if it is not in the book, which I haven't yet read) that Artime showed up at Fort Benning in June 1963, according to a 112th Intelligence Corps reported dated 11/1/63, "for the purpose of recruiting people (out of the Cuban Officer Training Program) to go to a revolutionary camp in Nicaragua." According to the report, "Artime told this group that the US Government was not going to do anything for Cuba and that he (Artime) had obtained aid and instructors from Europe." These efforts of Artime continued through November, causing dissension in the Cuban Officer Training Program, with at least two men resigning. The report states, "There is a group of officers within the Cuban Officers Training Program at LAFB who contemplates submitting their resignations if the United States has not done anything for the freedom of Cuban by December 1963." (This December deadline and the coup allegedly planned for December 1 is apparently coincidental; at least some of the trainees planning to resign were waiting to finish a course ending December 3).

What was Artime's purpose in trying to get men to quit the officer training program and join him in Nicaragua, saying that the US government was going to do nothing about Cuba, if he was one of the exile leaders who were in on AMWORLD and the planned coup?

Edited by Ron Ecker

Ron, if you ever get a chance to study the AMWORLD documents you will find the ultimate

guideline for the autonomous groups was to totally divorce themselves from both the CIA

and the U.S. There were all sorts of discussions on story lines for where they were

getting their support and supplies...including one that discusses a cover of Mafia support.

Artime's instructions were to position himself as totally divorced from the US government.

That was one reason that even CIA staff (which very limited exceptions) in countries

throughout Latin America were not to know about the project and why it was even

compartimentalized with a separate staff in Miami.

There are even memos talking about how trickly that is all going to be with the

CIA in particular lamenting the sacrifice in span of control.

-- Larry

Ron, if you ever get a chance to study the AMWORLD documents you will find the ultimate guideline for the autonomous groups was to totally divorce themselves from both the CIA and the U.S. There were all sorts of discussions on story lines for where they were getting their support and supplies...including one that discusses a cover of Mafia support. Artime's instructions were to position himself as totally divorced from the US government.

I generally avoid "me too" posts, but I have to say that Larry is making a crucial point here. This really is looking through the glass darkly, and anyone seizing on any particular explanation must necessarily suspect that someone intended that perception as well. It was classic Kennedy modus operandi to develop as close to a legitimately indigenous uprising as possible, with the smallest U.S. footprint that could be created with sleight-of-hand and misdirection. Why else would we have to burglarize our own Armories for weapons?

T.C.

Edited by Tim Carroll

Ron, if you ever get a chance to study the AMWORLD documents you will find the ultimate guideline for the autonomous groups was to totally divorce themselves from both the CIA and the U.S. There were all sorts of discussions on story lines for where they were getting their support and supplies...including one that discusses a cover of Mafia support. Artime's instructions were to position himself as totally divorced from the US government.

I generally avoid "me too" posts, but I have to say that Larry is making a crucial point here. This really is looking through the glass darkly, and anyone seizing on any particular explanation must necessarily suspect that someone intended that perception as well. It was classic Kennedy modus operandi to develop as close to a legitimately indigenous uprising as possible, with the smallest U.S. footprint that could be created with sleight-of-hand and misdirection. Why else would we have to burglarize our own Armories for weapons?

T.C.

Tim, if you are discussing the Kennedy assassination,

I think that these are Mafia/FBI alliances that are most relevant.

T.C.

Tim, I wonder if you could slightly expand on this statement, please. I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean.

Edit,:: Thank you, Tim.

Edited by John Dolva

It was classic Kennedy modus operandi to develop as close to a legitimately indigenous uprising as possible, with the smallest U.S. footprint that could be created with sleight-of-hand and misdirection. Why else would we have to burglarize our own Armories for weapons?
Tim, I wonder if you could slightly expand on this statement, please. I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean.

I don't want to get myself in trouble with this, but the Kennedys were way ahead of their time in the skills of impressions management. When JFK was looking for a way out of his predicament in Berlin, he discreetly let it be known to Khrushchev that a Wall wouldn't violate American interests. When the Wall went up, many called for Kennedy to tear it down and considered him weak not to have done so. In fact, he planted the idea of the Wall in Khrushchev's head, and the Wall subsequently acted as the greatest symbol of Soviet oppression for a quarter century.

During the Sixties, many argued that Kennedy was more style than substance. Being a postmodernist, I don't consider it an either/or proposition. The Cuban Missile Crisis was settled with a deal that was not only secret, but made on the basis of a private assurance. In the aftermath of that Crisis, Kennedy came off looking like the winner when he had conceded every material bargaining issue, while Khrushchev came off looking like a loser despite the appearance of a no-invasion pledge and the secret assurance that the provocative first-strike Eisenhower-deployed missiles in Europe would be removed. In other words, while the Cuban Missile Crisis is understood to be a Soviet aggression that was repelled, actually it was Khrushchev who achieved a withdrawal of missiles.

The Kennedy framework was demonstrated by the President's comment about Vietnam, that we would install a government that would then ask us to leave. Operation Northwoods would also be an example of impressions management.

In the preparations for the Bay of Pigs in the very first days of the JFK administration, Kennedy complained that the operation was "too noisy" (the basis for relocating the landing from Trinidad). When the operation failed, it failed in the worst way: an American operation that didn't receive American support at the crucial moment. Kennedy would not have been one to be fooled the same way again. There are international standards of legitimacy and sovereignty which Kennedy considered binding on overt foreign policy. While the no-invasion pledge was not ratified by the requisite U.N. inspections, Kennedy had the Secret Deal to protect, and Berlin was by no means completely off the table as a bargaining chip. A Cuban revolt in 1963 or later would have to withstand scrutiny and arguably be legitimate. Hence, Larry's point about the appearance of alternative funding sources, including the Mafia (and how about Prio?).

I suppose the shorter answer to what I meant by my references to sleight-of-hand and misdirection is that the Kennedys were magicians in their field of expertise (which reminds me of Siegfried and Roy winding up with a mawling by one of their own tigers).

T.C.

Edited by Tim Carroll

Lamar, are you aware of this document (you don't quote it in Ultimate Sacrifice):

Anthony Summers and Fabian Escalante, Cuban Officials and JFK Historians Conference (7th December, 1995)

Anthony Summers: There is quite a lot of work being done in the last year or two that whatever the Kennedy administration was doing in conversations through Attwood and Colonel Lechuga, at the same time Robert Kennedy - and presumably the President too - was personally behind a major effort that envisioned the overthrow of Castro in the fall of 1963. Which would involve an internal coup with the death of Castro. After that, massive American backing for which Kennedy's perceived as being (Cuban) democrats as opposed to being right-wing extremists.

I asked Dean Rusk about this, shortly before his death a year or so before. And he told me, yes he learned about the plans for such a coup. They were indeed backed by JFK and understood by his brother and were in charge of it. That he learned of this in 1964 during meetings of the National Security Council. And what can one make of this? One is talking about not a double track, but a double cross? If the Kennedy's were talking peace on the one hand and a full 1963 coup on the other? He said, yes but they did this all the time. And he found that not surprising. He said the Kennedy's work that way. And he said rather cynically, do governments everywhere. In your research in Cuba, have Mr. Escalante and Lechuga gotten a similar picture of double-track, double-cross?

Fabian Escalante: Look, I'm going to answer very briefly. In 1963 McGeorge Bundy designed this new approach towards Cuba. It involved a double track or multiple track. This appeared in documents in the Church Committee. One of the tracks was to strengthen the blockade against Cuba, political pressure, the isolation of Cuba from the continent and also from Western Europe. To destroy through sabotage and external operations all the energy and industrial infrastructure in the country. In 1963 there were two major plans of sabotage proved against Cuba. Two paths, with one objective. To force Cuba to sit down at the negotiating table, but under very disadvantaged circumstances. That's why we never really heard what the possible American agenda would be. We never heard anything... That's why the Cuban government took its time to deeply study the proposal put forth by Attwood.

What could they possible been trying to do by trying to start a dialogue. So they took their time. Here's what happened according to our judgement. The hawks never supported, they didn't understand this strategy, didn't agree. Anything that didn't agree with a new invasion of Cuba, they didn't agree with. We think the hawks felt themselves betrayed. According to our judgement there were two strategies to be followed by the US: (1) from the administration; (2) and one from the CIA, the Cuban exiles, and the Mafia - and even they had their own independent objectives. Around that on the part of this latter group, there developed this need to assassinate Kennedy. It seemed to them that Kennedy was not in agreement to the new invasion. That's our hypothesis.

Anthony Summers: Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The information that's been coming out, new scholarship that Robert Kennedy personally in those weeks heading up to November 22, in the weeks leading up, was behind a detailed plan for the killing, overthrow of Castro, the killing of Raul, key leaders of the revolution. To be followed by massive American support for take over in Cuba by the so-called Cuban democrats. This was a real plan in the works. This is different from, maybe connected with but very specific and different from conversation.

the authors don’t mention Sam Giancani

You've got to be kidding. I wondered why all the references to Trafficante, Marcello, and Rosselli, as if the latter was on the same Mob level as the first two. I thought that Rosselli was more of a hit man and fixer.

Erneido Oliva [who is not even indexed in the book

You've got to be kidding. Oliva is one of the few people left alive to interview about the whole Cuba saga, and Oliva was there, from the Bay of Pigs to meetings with John and Robert Kennedy and the planning of raids with Vance and Haig. And the book is 900 pages? I still look forward to reading it, but am rather disappointed already.

Edited by Ron Ecker

It has occurred to me that if the Ultimate Sacrifice analysis of the Chicago and Tampa assassination plots is correct, neither of the Kennedy brothers would have allowed Jackie to be riding in an open limo through Dallas only days later. This is especially true considering that Jackie hadn't motorcaded with the President since the Inauguration Day Parade down Pennsylvania Avenue. Of course, if these were staged attempts, developing the Operation Northwoods pretext for an invasion of Cuba, then consideration for Tosh Plumlee's assertion of an abort mission (to abort the fake attempt) comes into play.

T.C.

John wrote:

Anthony Summers: Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The information that's been coming out, new scholarship that Robert Kennedy personally in those weeks heading up to November 22, in the weeks leading up, was behind a detailed plan for the killing, overthrow of Castro, the killing of Raul, key leaders of the revolution. To be followed by massive American support for take over in Cuba by the so-called Cuban democrats. This was a real plan in the works. This is different from, maybe connected with but very specific and different from conversation.

John, this is most interesting! Summers here states in one paragraph the premise of "Ultimate Sacrifice". He seems to have figured out what AMWORLD was all about ten years ago.

Of course, it was Messrs Waldron and Hartmann who did the research to put together the "ultimate" (to date) book on the assassination. And I know they were working on the book for seventeen years.

Tim Carroll does raise a most interesting point, however. If JFK was aware of serious threats against him in Chicago and Tampa (and Miami) why would he allow Jackie to sit next to him? One thing to risk his own life; quite another to risk the life of his wife (and mother of his two young children).

One last point (I made in another thread). Per a recent post in another thread, Escalante told William Turner (per his recent post) that DGI had a spy in Artime's base. If so, is it not likely that Escalante was aware of the AMWORLD plot?

Edited by Tim Gratz

I started reading Ultimate Sacrifice last night--I'm on page 5 at the moment. I did a search on AMWORLD at the Mary Ferrell site and got two hits:

A Record from Mary Ferrell's Database

Record: AM, ----- -----

Sources: -----

Mary's

Comments: AMADDER, AMANCHOR, AMART, AMATHENA, AMBANG, AMBANTY, AMBARB, AMBASE, AMBEACH, AMBIDDY, AMBLOOD, AMBOA, AMBUD, AMCANOE, AMCHALICE, AMCLATTER, AMCOG, AMCONCERT, AMCOVE, AMCROAK, AMCROW, AMCRUEL, AMCRUZ, AMDEAD, AMDOT, AMEREBUS, AMFAUNA, AMFOR, AMFOX, AMHALF, AMHAM, AMHICK, AMHIM, AMHINT, AMHOLY, AMILIAD, AMJUDGE, AMKHAN, AMKNOB, AMKNOCK, AMLAME, AMLASH, AMLEMNOS, AMLEO, AMLIE, AMLILAC, AMLISP, AMLUNY, AMLYRIC, AMMICE, AMMILL, AMMING, AMMUG, AMORP, AMOT, AMOZON, AMPAL, AMPAR, AMQUAR, AMRALLY, AMRIPE, AMROD, AMRUSTY, AMSAKI, AMSAUCE, AMSCOPE, AMSCROLL, AMSHATTER, AMSOUR, AMSPARK, AMSPELL, AMSTASH, AMSTONE, AMSTRUT, AMSUM, AMSUMAC, AMSWEEP, AMTABBY, AMTHRILL, AMTHUG, AMTRUNK, AMTURVY, AMWARM, AMWEE, AMWHIP, AMWORRY, AMWORLD, AMWREN, AMYUM

And: From: 104-10422-10355 (08/30/77): BOOK: COMMENTS ON BOOK V, SSC FINAL REPORT: THE INVESTIGATIION OF THE ASSASSINATION OF PRESIDENT KENNEDY: PERFORMANCE OF THE INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES pg 215

John wrote:

John, this is most interesting! Summers here states in one paragraph the premise of "Ultimate Sacrifice". He seems to have figured out what AMWORLD was all about ten years ago.

Tim, I believe Summers cites Lamar as his source for this in one of his articles. Lamar's book has been 17 years in the making, but that doesn't mean he hid his research from others.

It has occurred to me that if the Ultimate Sacrifice analysis of the Chicago and Tampa assassination plots is correct, neither of the Kennedy brothers would have allowed Jackie to be riding in an open limo through Dallas only days later. This is especially true considering that Jackie hadn't motorcaded with the President since the Inauguration Day Parade down Pennsylvania Avenue. Of course, if these were staged attempts, developing the Operation Northwoods pretext for an invasion of Cuba, then consideration for Tosh Plumlee's assertion of an abort mission (to abort the fake attempt) comes into play.

This is a very good point. I cannot imagine any husband encouraging his wife to sit in an open-topped car if he really thought he was going to be assassinated.

Gary wrote:

I started reading Ultimate Sacrifice last night--I'm on page 5 at the moment. I did a search on AMWORLD at the Mary Ferrell site and got two hits:

A Record from Mary Ferrell's Database

Record: AM, ----- -----

Sources: -----

Mary's

Comments: AMADDER, AMANCHOR, AMART, AMATHENA, AMBANG, AMBANTY, AMBARB, AMBASE, AMBEACH, AMBIDDY, AMBLOOD, AMBOA, AMBUD, AMCANOE, AMCHALICE, AMCLATTER, AMCOG, AMCONCERT, AMCOVE, AMCROAK, AMCROW, AMCRUEL, AMCRUZ, AMDEAD, AMDOT, AMEREBUS, AMFAUNA, AMFOR, AMFOX, AMHALF, AMHAM, AMHICK, AMHIM, AMHINT, AMHOLY, AMILIAD, AMJUDGE, AMKHAN, AMKNOB, AMKNOCK, AMLAME, AMLASH, AMLEMNOS, AMLEO, AMLIE, AMLILAC, AMLISP, AMLUNY, AMLYRIC, AMMICE, AMMILL, AMMING, AMMUG, AMORP, AMOT, AMOZON, AMPAL, AMPAR, AMQUAR, AMRALLY, AMRIPE, AMROD, AMRUSTY, AMSAKI, AMSAUCE, AMSCOPE, AMSCROLL, AMSHATTER, AMSOUR, AMSPARK, AMSPELL, AMSTASH, AMSTONE, AMSTRUT, AMSUM, AMSUMAC, AMSWEEP, AMTABBY, AMTHRILL, AMTHUG, AMTRUNK, AMTURVY, AMWARM, AMWEE, AMWHIP, AMWORRY, AMWORLD, AMWREN, AMYUM

Now here's a coincidence for you. When did AMWAY start?

"AMHICK": a CIA agent born and raised in the Appalachin mountains?

"AMOZON": precursor to Amazon.com?

"AMWARM" Yeah, in Havana, even in December.

"AMCRUEL": Indeed they were!

"AMMING"--The Chinese Connection?

"AMWORRY": Alfred E. Neuman??

"AMWHIP": must refer to Shaw's masochistic deviances.

"AMTOPSY"; no: "AMTURVY".

"AMHIM": could fit any male CIA operative I guess. Not too many "AMHER"s at that time.

"AMDEAD": how they wanted Fidel!

Does anyone know how much the CIA paid the guy in charge of these names?

Edited by Tim Gratz