The Education Forum

David Harold Byrd

John Simkin

On 12/22/2020 at 3:21 PM, Paul Brancato said:

It is exhausting, and I think it might be the second time I’ve gone through this entire thread, with it’s endless quotes of long posts. But I did so because I needed reminding of some connections. Mr. Scully sure did some deep research into family connections by looking at Wedding Registries. 
too many Barons eh? Always struck by Baron Werner Von Alvensleben having the long scar on his left cheek and being very tall. Both descriptors apply to Otto Skorzeny as well. And I’ve wondered what the real connections were for Baron DeMohrenschilt. It strikes me as likely that he was an Abwehr agent during WW2. The FBI wondered if he was. So Harold Byrd was in Safariland with Alvensleben, who ran the safaris, and then that Baron and his wife visited Dallas a short time after the assassination. Officially that Baron wasn’t a poopoo, was in fact wanted by the Nazis. I’m not sure I believe his official bio. I’m more inclined to think that both Barons were part of the Skorzeny post war network. 
gee - who thought of substituting poopoo for poopoo? 
so Nazis is fine but not the singular form? 

Revolt of the Barons?

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/28/2011 at 4:11 PM, Robert Howard said:

Most of Mozambique Hunters Texan

But down to the interesting comments on how the tall Mozambique baron, who married a Portuguese lady of the first family, sees the men from this country who come wagging cannons. Firstly the Baron seemed quite qualified to speak of the Texas variety of American's, for he said "80 per cent of our hunters are Texans. Fifteen percent come from California and five per cent from the rest of the world." Then the baron added a slant. "One of my hunters George Gedek, speaks with a Texan drawl. He doesent knoaw anything else. He's only hunted with Texans you see." The he got onto the Texans. "Americans who come to our place are all sportsmen. All save one mon. There must be one bad egg everywhere, it seems but the great majority of Americans are good sportsmen. Then they are different from the hunters of other nations. They are much tougher. Most are used to rugged conditions. They have hunted Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, British Columbia, Alaska, where you have got to be able to take it. Such people find Africa comparatively easy." Then the man from Mozambique, where a three week safari costs $3,500 and a for week safari costs $ 4,100 in addition to transportation there, got onto guns. "American's believe in high powered rifles. Your American rifle, the Weatherby and the Winchester, are fine rifles. Europeans cawnt do as well, they dont have the rifles, or they dont have time, or the opportunity to practice. So Americans are much better shots. Your Herb Klein is a grond example."

And what do these American hunters want to shoot? "Texan's want a lion and leopard first," replied the Baron then a kudu, lostly the elephant. There is a tremendous argument as to the most dangerous onimal in Africa, No not the buff," he said to Byrd. "You can see him, the wounded lion or leopard is on you like lightning. The wounded leopard is the more dangerous of the two. Invariably it will attack. But I count the elephont as the most dangerous. An elephant is able to reason. My greatest friend and co-hunter Horst Rohe was killed by an elephant in 1952. Quite a few of my friends have been killed by them. Mechanized man is the only enemy the elephont has.

"Wally Johnson, Harold's white hunter, who has killed over 1,000 elephants, shot one six times last year, and it escaped into the bush. He was back there six months ago. That elephant attacked him. The wound scars proved it." It was but natural to ask a man who has lived in Mozambique for 17 years, or since the end of World War II, what his closest call has been.

"My narrowest escape," he replied was at Elm and St. Paul yesterday in front of the Athletic Club. This town is much more dangerous than the bush. Onimals dont do you any harm unless you or someone has wounded them. You cawnt say thot for Dallas drivers. Then he got back to American hunters

"American women are great sports and good shots. Mrs. Marty Gose of Wichita Falls killed everything with one shot. Mrs Jack O' Connor, wife of the Outdoor Life gun editor mostly, did the same. I have seen American women outshoot their husbands. "But there is one thing we do note. The only things Americans are afraid of are bugs. But by God they disinfect themselves with the amount of whiskey they drink. No mosquito would have a chance with them. They swerve off from them."

So, George deMohrenschildt wasn't the only Baron who shows up in the JFK saga. Whether there is any other interesting material from this 'peripheral to the assassination' aspect remains to be seen. A word of warning.....beware of assuming anything about the Baron, especially his political affiliations. In World War 2, the Baron apparently was imprisoned by the Nazi's, from what I understand....

This thread was one of the most important and educating ones I first came across in my beginning foray into the forum.

From Simkin's opening post you really get a good overall sense of Texas power and corruption going back into the 1940's.

As well as how the Viet Nam war made certain Texans and Texas connected corps much richer and even more powerful than they already were.

LBJ was their main interest promoting man. With LBJ as our president, they couldn't lose.

An early poster used this analogy which gives you an idea of Texas oil wealth, power and influence during the 50's and 1960's:

Texas oil was the American equivalent to the Saudi Oil Cartel of the last 40 years.

All new members and/or our visitors should read this entire thread.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 12/22/2020 at 10:18 AM, Joe Bauer said:

Exhausting, but I just read 75% of the posts in this thread.

The interconnections between the wealthy and powerful personally and politically seems never ending, and is a disturbing reality check on the way things really work in the highest rungs of power and control in our country.

More a plutocracy than a democracy imo.

Still.

Byrd's history is interesting. His complete affirmation of the Warren Commission is almost comical. 

The not one, but two arson attempts at the TBSD are curious. 

Larry Hancock has pointed out the local business leadership community of nearly every major town back in the 1950s and 1960s was hard right. 

The book "The Power Elite" by C. Wright Mills captures some of this. 

Let me tell you, people think Los Angeles is a "liberal" city, but back in the 1950s and 1960s it was hard right, with deep affinity with defense industries. And Orange County just south of L.A., was even more so. 

Thus, in any major city we would find connections among the power elites and to the national elites. 

I tend to think the JFKA was a small, silo'ed op. No sure how many people were involved, but probably less than fingers on a woodworker's hand. 

6 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Let me tell you, people think Los Angeles is a "liberal" city, but back in the 1950s and 1960s it was hard right, with deep affinity with defense industries. And Orange County just south of L.A., was even more so. 

Orange County names their airport after John Wayne?

Sam Yorty...man of the people.

• 4 months later...

Time for a little focus on D.H. Byrd and James Ling, two wealthy Dallas investors, and close friends of Lyndon Johnson, who bought large shares of their company LTV's stock (a defense contractor) in either the weeks before or just after the JFK assassination. I wonder why they did that? LTV was trading about $16/share in November of 1963 and by 1967 it traded as high as $169/share. As an LBJ-favored company, it made a ton of money off of the Vietnam War.

[I edited this to reflect the fact that LTV was about $16 in November of 1963 and the the Byrd/Ling stock purchases have been confirmed to be in NOVEMBER OF 1963 (but an exact purchase day in November by these LBJ insiders was not specified in the January, 1964 Value Line Investment Survey.]

D.H. Byrd could fly his airplane to LBJ’s ranch anytime he wanted to, even if President LBJ told him not to land - Darrell Royal story from his son Mack Royal

Mack Royal is the son of legendary University of Texas football coach Darrell Royal (UT head coach 1957-1976; 2 national championships). Darrell Royal was personal friends with Lyndon Johnson, Clint Murchison, D.H. Byrd and a slew of other upper crust Texas power elite who were in the Lyndon Johnson inner circle.

His son Mack Royal knew the children of the power elite of Texas. In fact he knew them and their families quite well.

Mack Royal also used to work at the LBJ Library and he has a sharp interest in the JFK assassination. Mack Royal also told me he was there when the LBJ Library was taking steps to "slow Robert Caro down." They literally had meetings about this and that late Robert Hardesty was one of the ringleaders in this effort to subvert Caro and other researchers into LBJ: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/us/politics/robert-l-hardesty-speechwriter-for-johnson-dies-at-82.html?_r=0

Coach Royal and his wife were at the LBJ one time when Johnson was president. They remember D.H. Byrd flying his plane to the LBJ Ranch; LBJ telling them not to land because he was busy and had company, and D.H. Byrd over-riding the president of the USA and landing his plane anyhow.

I guess that one little anecdote tells you a lot about the relationship of Lyndon Johnson and D.H. Byrd.

Here are some excerpts from Mack Royal's book, which is a fascinating collection of his emails to friends.

MACK ROYAL:

I knew D. Harold Byrd..flew on his DC3 (orange and white with a snorting "Bevo" on the tail) and heard this story about him during that time..   My parents were at the LBJ ranch with Lyndon when D. Harold Byrd radioed the ranch and said he was landing. Lyndon told him NOT to land and Byrd replied, "I'm landing." which he did.

Royal, Mack (2010-06-08). Fourteen Years on Fnord-L (Kindle Locations 8906-8911). Bozo Texino Press. Kindle Edition.

This link tells about D. Harold Byrd owning the Texas School Book Depository Building. I knew old D. Harold Byrd. I ate supper at his house and flew on his plane.   Later I met partners of Murchison. One of them became my "uncle" Bedford. Later I met the Murchisons. Coke-Anne Murchison is totally gorgeous, by the way.   These folks were thick with LBJ. These folks are my folks. I met LBJ too, and drove his car, swam in his pool, visited the White House and got a tour of the FBI. I have a nodding acquaintance with Admiral Inman.   So do you suppose I picked up a thing or two along the way? Duh.

Royal, Mack (2010-06-08). Fourteen Years on Fnord-L (Kindle Locations 9120-9130). Bozo Texino Press. Kindle Edition.

More about D. Harold Byrd. His cousins were Senator Harry Flood Byrd and Admiral Byrd of Antarctica fame. He started a company called Tempco which later became part of Ling Temco Vaught, which got a juicy contract out of the Viet Nam war. (TFX fighter plane) He was a conservative Dallas oil man who helped start the Civil Air Patrol. He took the "sniper's window" out of his building (Texas School Book Depository) after the assassination and hung it in his house! One of the panes had been replaced. By the way, Mac Wallace's prints were all over that room called the sniper's nest on the sixth floor. Billy Sol Estes said some stuff about Mac Wallace if you wanna look it up.

Royal, Mack (2010-06-08). Fourteen Years on Fnord-L (Kindle Locations 9153-9165). Bozo Texino Press. Kindle Edition.

D.H. Byrd, James Ling - heavy insider buying into LTV just before the JFK assassination

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2010/11/peter-dale-scott-dallas-copa-2010.html

Go to footnote #49

49. In early November 1963, Byrd and his investment partner, James Ling, made a significant insider purchase of stock in their defense industry investment, LTV. Although required by SEC rules to report this insider purchase, they delayed doing so until well after Kennedy’s assassination. Then in January LTV received the first major LBJ defense contract from the Pentagon – for a fighter plane designed for Vietnam. Cf. Joan Mellen, “The Kennedy Assassination and the Current Political Moment,” Part II, http://www.joanmellen.net/truth-2.html .

DH Byrd was so close to LBJ they might as well have been Siamese twins. And he is Col. DH Byrd Air Force friends with Gen Curtis Lemay who called the Kennedys' "cockroaches" in his LBJ oral history. Air Force Gen. Edward Lansdale running the show at Dealey Plaza - joint CIA/military intelligence operation.

The heavy insider buying was based on DEAD KENNEDY coming up soon with LBJ INSIDE WHITE HOUSE.

And who did LBJ tell Madeleine who did it? The fat cats in Dallas and renegade intelligence bastards.

LBJ-DALLAS OIL/MILITARY CONTRACTORS/CIA/MILITARY INTELLIGENCE murdered JFK.

I should note that DH Byrd employed LBJ's alleged personal hit man Malcolm Wallace and the DH Byrd owned the Texas School Book Depository. And that DH Byrd could land his plane on LBJ's ranch anytime he wanted to.

Why was D.H. Byrd making huge insider buys into LTV stock before the JFK assassination at a time Newsweek and Defense Secretary Robert McNamara were telling everyone that huge defense cuts were coming?

Fletcher Prouty vs Edward Epstein (kennedysandking.com)

Jim DiEugenio:

Fletcher Prouty also wrote about the transformation that took place after Kennedy’s death. For instance, concerning the war in Indochina and how that fed the war machine. And conversely how that would not have happened if JFK had lived. Reader James Finn has clipped two valuable stories from the MSM that illustrate the point Fletcher was making, namely that Kennedy’s withdrawal plan was already impacting the war economy. And the second story shows how his death turned that deceleration around in a hurry. Predictably, it appears that Epstein was wrong about that and Colonel Prouty was correct. One more posthumous feather in Fletcher’s cap. And thanks to Mr. Finn.

UNQUOTE

1986 NYT describes D.H. Byrd as a “philanthropist” in its obituary of him –

D. Harold Byrd Is Dead; A Texas Philanthropist - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

D. Harold Byrd, a philanthropist who made his fortune in Texas oilfields and helped finance the exploration of Antarctica, has died. He was 86 years old.

Mr. Byrd, who was also a co-founder of the Civil Air Patrol and a geologist, died Sunday at his home after a short illness.

The philanthropist, as a cousin and close friend of Adm. Richard E. Byrd, financed some of the Antarctic explorer's ventures in the 1920's and 1930's. An Antarctic range, the Harold Byrd Mountains, was named for him.

Mr. Byrd used his oil profits to build a financial empire that included recreational facilities, manufacturing, real estate, commercial and industrial ventures and farming and ranching enterprises.

UNQUOTE

“Merger King” James Ling kept a bust of Lyndon Johnson in his Dallas office. Both James Ling and D.H. Byrd were very close to Lyndon Johnson. They bought 132,000 shares of LTV stock in the weeks before the JFK assassination

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/12/business/conglamerateur-extraordinaire-james-j-ling-with-ltv-memory-he-s-taking-his-act.html

[“Conglamerateur Extraordinaire: James J. Ling: With LTV a Memory, He’s taking his Act to the Oil Patch,” Leslie Wayne, NYT, July 12, 1981]

Nonetheless, he talks about the LTV episode as ''the front nine.'' His attention is now focused on ''the back nine.'' ''I didn't get a chance to finish it,'' he said, while seated in an office that featured a bust of Lyndon Johnson and newspaper clips about Mr. Ling on the walls in the outer hallway.

UNQUOTE

James Ling lived a lavish lifestyle in his in estate in Dallas’s Gaywood area

[“Boldface Dallas: Today’s super rich dwarf the city’s gilded age by comparison,” Dallas Morning News, 1-12-2013]

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/2013/01/12/boldface-dallas-todays-super-rich-dwarf-the-citys-80s-gilded-age-by-comparison/

It wasn’t always this way. In early 1970s Dallas, opulence was at its most rarefied in the orbit of Troy Post and his pal and sometime partner, Jim Ling. Post was an insurance financier who owned 80 percent of Braniff Airways, all of National Car Rental and a jet-set resort in Acapulco, Tres Vidas en la Playa. Ling built one of the great conglomerates, Ling-Temco-Vought, known simply as LTV.

Post's massive Park Lane estate, his audacious business deals and his financial reverses were all the stuff of newspaper headlines. The lavishness of Ling's estate on Gaywood attracted so much media coverage that it became a target for the infamous jewel thief known as the King of Diamonds, who raided Dallas' oligarchs for a decade and never got caught. In January 1963, when the king entered a second-story balcony window and boosted the family gems while Ling and his wife watched TV downstairs, the heist made the front page of The Dallas Morning News. By 1970, financial reversals forced the Lings out of the house, and H.L. Hunt's sports-minded son, Lamar Hunt, moved in.

The delicious Post/Ling-style ostentation seemed colossal, but even when adjusted for inflation, the money in play does not measure up to the present scale of affluence.

UNQUOTE

1986 NYT obituary on D.H. Byrd described him as a “Texas Philanthropist” with no mention of his close friendship with LBJ or that he owned the Texas School Book Depository at the time of the JFK assassination or that he and James Ling bought 132,000 shares of LTV stock in the weeks before the JFK assassination (at a time when Defense Secretary Robert McNamara and the business press were talking about cuts in defense spending)

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/09/16/obituaries/d-harold-byrd-is-dead-a-texas-philanthropist.html

D. Harold Byrd, a philanthropist who made his fortune in Texas oilfields and helped finance the exploration of Antarctica, has died. He was 86 years old.

Mr. Byrd, who was also a co-founder of the Civil Air Patrol and a geologist, died Sunday at his home after a short illness.

The philanthropist, as a cousin and close friend of Adm. Richard E. Byrd, financed some of the Antarctic explorer's ventures in the 1920's and 1930's. An Antarctic range, the Harold Byrd Mountains, was named for him.

Mr. Byrd used his oil profits to build a financial empire that included recreational facilities, manufacturing, real estate, commercial and industrial ventures and farming and ranching enterprises.

He and a small group of civilians founded the Civil Air Patrol in 1941 in Washington.

He also was co-founder and director of Dallas-area aircraft companies, including the Temco Aircraft Corporation. In 1957, he organized and became board chairman of the Space Corporation, which manufactured propulsion and ground test equipment for jet engines and aerospace ground support equipment.

Survivers include his wife, Mavis, and two sons.

UNQUOTE

D.H. Byrd was a national security insider bigtime and close personal friend of General Doolittle. Doolitte said in Byrd’s obituary in the Dallas Times Herald that “we were substantial friends from the early days of aviation.”

Doolittle Report, 1954 - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolittle_Report,_1954

Jim Garrison fingers “Military-Industrial Complex” and it’s “Aerospace Wing” that were behind the JFK assassination.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/jimloon1.htm

Jim Garrison to Ramparts’ Warren Hinckle on November 5, 1968,

The caller was in no mood to inquire about the weather. "This is urgent," Jim Garrison said. "Can you take this in your mailroom? They'd never think to tap the mailroom extension."

. . . Garrison began talking when I picked up the mailroom extension: "This is risky, but I have little choice. It is imperative that I get this information to you now. Important new evidence has surfaced. Those Texas oilmen do not appear to be involved in President Kennedy's murder in the way we first thought. It was the Military-Industrial Complex that put up the money for the assassination -- but as far as we can tell, the conspiracy was limited to the aerospace wing. I've got the names of three companies and their employees who were involved in setting up the President's murder. Do you have a pencil?"

I wrote down the names of the three defense contractors -- Garrison identified them as Lockheed, Boeing, and General Dynamics -- and the names of those executives in their employ whom the District Attorney said had been instrumental in the murder of Jack Kennedy. I also logged a good deal of information about a mysterious minister who was supposed to have crossed the border into Mexico with Lee Harvey Oswald shortly before the assassination; the man wasn't a minister at all, Garrison said, but an executive with a major defense supplier, in clerical disguise. I knew little about ministers crossing the Rio Grande with Oswald -- but after several years of fielding the dizzying details of the Kennedy assassination, I had learned to leave closed Pandora's boxes lie; I didn't ask.

I said that I had everything down, and Garrison said a hurried goodbye: "It's poor security procedure to use the phone, but the situation warrants the risk. Get this information to Bill Turner. He'll know what to do about the minister. I wanted you to have this, in case something happens . . . ." (Hinckle, If You Have a Lemon, Make Lemonade, 198-9)

Edited by Robert Morrow

Folks, I just put up a huge blog post today. Last weekend I paid a Washington, D.C.-based researcher to go into the Library of Congress and read the Value Line Investment Survey from late 1963 through May, 1964. This confirm Peter Dale Scott's work in his 1971 unpublished manuscript The Dallas Conspiracy.

What we found is PROOF that two of Lyndon Johnson's pals, prominent Dallas, TX investors D.H. Byrd and James Ling bought 132,000 shares of LTV defense contractor stock sometime IN THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER, 1963.

LTV was a military contractor owned by two of Lyndon Johnson's good friends: wealthy Dallas, Texas investors D.H. Byrd (who owned the Texas School Book Depository) and James Ling, the "merger King" who kept a bust of LBJ in his office.

LTV's stock price was trading at $16 per share in November, 1963 and after feasting on the Vietnam War it's stock price had skyrocketed to a high of $169 in the year 1967. In today's 2024 dollars Byrd and Ling would have made $185,000 off of their original investment within 4 years in the year 1963.

We could not prove whether these massive stock purchases into this LTV military contractor were just before or just after the JFK assassination, but they were made very close to JFK's death. Value Line says these purchases were made sometime in the month of November, 1963.

Blockbuster blog post on the D.H. Byrd/James Ling insider buys into LTV stock:   https://robertmorrowpoliticalresearchblog.blogspot.com/2024/03/lyndon-johnsons-dallas-tx-insider-pals.html  

Sincerely,

Robert Morrow     512-306-1510

Does anyone know where to easily find the stock price of LTV Ling Temco Vaught on a monthly basis from October, 1963 to January, 1969? I guess I could go throw newspaper archives, business section where the stock quotes used to be.

On 9/16/2009 at 12:45 AM, Bernice Moore said:

your welcome peter ; always here is a photo and map of the \byrd \dry hole his first and largest\i believe.a1000 barrels a day...from one of the texas books....

This is a classic informative thread.

David Harold Byrd, one of the founders of the Civil Air Patrol:

Monroe Morning World, Monroe, LA May 19, 1956

image.png.954452ddf31330d0479dfffc8cbadd13.png

OBITUARY of Frances Whitmeyer:

Whitmeyer, Frances Raby was born February 21, 1922 and passed away April 4, 2009. Frances was born in Athens, Alabama to S.W. and Donna Raby. She graduated from Alabama Women's College in Athens. She moved to New Orleans and worked for the Lykes Steamship Co. and also for the City of New Orleans helping to translate French law into English. She later married George Whitmeyer and they moved to Germany where he was stationed after the war. They moved to Fort Worth in 1961 and then to Dallas in 1963.

The Monroe News-Star from Monroe, Louisiana · Page 7

April 13, 1954

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/90448363/

Captain George L. Whitmeyer, local project officer for Armed Forces Day, said today that plans are already well advanced for Monroe participation in the annual observance honoring our young men and women in uniform. All veterans’ organizations, civic clubs, and other patriotic groups are invited to take part in the Armed Forces Day program. Representatives of organizations who wish to participate may contact Captain George L. Whitmever at building T-39-2 Selman Field or telephone 9960.

Monroe News-Star, March 15, 1954. page 13

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/90445615/

COMPLETES COURSE — Capt. George L. Whit never, whose wife, Frances Whitmeyer, resides here at 217 Pargoud Drive, has recently completed a 17-week Associate Infantry Office Advanced Course in Fort Penning, Ga., which is given to company and field grade officers to enable them to return to their units with a more thorough understanding of their command positions* ('apt. Whilmeyer. in service for 12 years, has served in Hawaii, Europe, Korea, and Japan, and been awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart and the Combat Infantry Badge.

The Monroe News-Star from Monroe, Louisiana · Page 5

March 25, 1955

https://newspaperarchive.com/monroe-news-star-mar-25-1955-p-5/

Army Aviation Flight Training Men Are Lacking The commanding general, Fourth army, has announced that .there is a critical shortage of applicants for Army aviation flight training which has resulted in serious programming difficulties for the Army aviation program. The scope of the present Army aviation program and the increased emphasis toward combat employment of Army aviation re|quire maximum command support of this vital program. All company grade officers are eligible to participate in this program. The Army primary flight training course is conducted at Gary Air Force base, San Marcos, I I Texas and the Army aviation tactics course at Camp Rucker. Ala. Those reserve officers interested in this program are urged to contact Major George L. Whitmeyer at the office of the unit advisor, United States Army Reserve, building T-39-2, Selman Field, or phone 9960.

Who were these "Advisors" and what unit was Whitmeyer "advising" in Louisiana?

The Monroe News-Star from Monroe, Louisiana · Page 5

March 25, 1955

https://newspaperarchive.com/monroe-news-star-mar-25-1955-p-5/

“Those reserve officers interested in this program are urged to contact Major George L. Whitmeyer at the office of the unit advisor, United States Army Reserve, building T-39-2, Selman Field...:

The Monroe News-Star from Monroe, Louisiana · Page 3

September 21, 1955

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/89404823/

“Vacancies in the high school student draft deferment group still exist in the reserve army, Major George L. Whitmeyer, army reserve advisor, said Wednesday.

The Monroe News-Star from Monroe, Louisiana · Page 3

October 23, 1956

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/84343273/

Looking on as Capt. Pipes reads his new commission is Major George L. Whitmeyer, unit advisor.

Training and Organization of the US Army Reserve Components: A Reference Text for Total Force Trainers and a Guide to Other US Military Services 1988-1989. published 1991

page 53

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a236572.pdf

1. (3)(D) “The Army has assigned AC (Active Component) personnel to advise full-time,specific RC units on all aspects of unit operation. These AC personnel are called dedicated advisors. Brigade-level units,divisions, separate GOCOMs, ARCOMs, and State headquarters have dedicated advisors; however, some selected battalion-size units, by virtue of their unique nature, mobilization priority,or geographical isolation, continue to have battalion advisors assigned. The AC end strength reductions mandated by Congress have resulted in the elimination of many dedicated advisor positions.

(E). In addition to the AC personnel assigned to advise specific units, there are organizations that assist units on a regional USATB (United States Army Training Board) basis.”

Whitmeyer is referred to in combined Batchelor, Lumpkin, and Stevenson, report to Curry as, “ Lt. Colonel George Whitmeyer, U.S. Army, Dallas Sub-section Commander.”
DPD Archives Box 14, Folder# 14, Item# 10 p. 20.
http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box14.htm

On April 22, 1964 Police Chief, Jesse Curry told the Warren Commission, “I had Deputy Chief Lumpkin, and he had two Secret Service men with him, I believe, out of Washington, and a Colonel Wiedemeyer who is the East Texas Section Commander of the Army Reserve in the area, he was with him.
Testimony of Jesse Curry. Warren Commission Hearings and Exhibits, volume IV, p. 170, as cited in the History Matters Archive, http://history-matte..._Vol4_0089b.htm

It’s also possible that Whitmeyer taught Army Intelligence at the 5th USAR Forces Intelligence School at Camp Bullis at Fort Sam Houston outside of San Antonio.

https://books.google.com/books?id=kB83DwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=%22Camp+Bullis%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiL8e-Wj5TmAhXGneAKHWqjBOsQ6AEwAXoECAYQAg#v=onepage&q=%22Camp%20Bullis%22&f=false

Boring's Interesting ARRB Interview

By Vince Palamara

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/palamara/boring_arrb.html

Lt. Col. George Whitmeyer (rode in pilot car)--- "Mr. Lawson acknowledged
that Lt. Col. George Whitmeyer, who was part of the Dallas District U.S. Army
Command, who Lawson said "taught Army Intelligence"
and who rode in the pilot
car, "wasn't scheduled" to be in the motorcade. [as 17 H 615, Lawson's
scheduled motorcade list, bears out]. Mr. Lawson denied that the presence of
Col. Whitmeyer had anything to do with Lawson's prior service in the CIC, Army
Counter Intelligence Corps."77;

It’s also possible that George Whitmeyer taught Army intelligence at the 4150th US Army Reserve Training School, of which Deputy Chief George Lumpkin was the Commandant and Boise Smith was on the faculty

B.B. (Boise) Smith. Director, Civil Defense and Disaster Commission. Dallas Police Department, Deputy Chief of Police.

Reported directly to Chief Curry.

Batchelor Exhibit 5002

https://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh19/pdf/WH19_Batchelor_Ex_5002.pdf

It looks like the 4150th was housed at Love Field up until the City donated property to it in 1956.

What are the chances that George Whitmeyer knew David Ferrie, and possibly Lee Harvey Oswald?

Steve Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to remember where I first read about Harold Dry-Hole Byrd.  Crossfire? Nope.  Maybe High Treason? No again.  Some of it comes from The Radical Right and the Murder of John F. Kennedy by Harrison Livingstone, he's mentioned on 18 pages per the index.

I first remember reading of him owning the TSBD and going on his first African safari the weeks before and after the JFKA.  Then that he owned Ling Temco Vought aeronautics.  Where my dad worked from the early through late 1950's. Somewhere in there I learned about him being a member of the Dallas Petroleum Club along with George Herbert Walker Bush, H L Hunt, Clint Murchison, George DE Mohrenschildt and others.  Founder of the Civil Air Patrol, famous for a Ferrie - Oswald picture.  For which he was honored (founding the CAP) by none other than his friend General Curtis LeMay.  Last at the moment was him reportedly removing "the" sixth floor window to his home for a conversation piece.  

Nov. 24, 1945 photo of D.H. Byrd and his wife watching the TCU-Rice football game with Major General Ralph Royce, the former head of the United States Army Air Forces

https://library.uta.edu/digitalgallery/img/20027199

D.H. Byrd

Title: Texas Christian University vs. Rice University

Description: 

Major General Ralph Royce, left, of Marquette, Michigan, former commanding general of the United States Army Air Forces (AAF) Personnel Distribution Command, Louisville, Kentucky, and presently unassigned, watches the Frog-Owl football game with, left to right, Mrs. Royce and Colonel and Mrs. D. H. Byrd, of Dallas. Right of Mrs. Byrd is an unidentified man wearing a military uniform, and, beside him, a child standing. Major General Royce is wearing his military uniform. Mrs. Royce is wearing a coat and a hat. Colonel Byrd is wearing a suit, eyeglasses and a hat. Mrs. Byrd is wearing a fur coat and hat. They are sitting in the bleachers.

Date Created: 

1945-11-24

Ralph Royce Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Royce

In the May 1942 organization of South West Pacific Area, Royce became senior air staff officer, Allied Air Forces. He was promoted to major general in June 1942. Royce returned to the United States in September 1942 and assumed command of the South Eastern Training Center at Maxwell Field in Montgomery, Alabama. He commanded the First Air Force from April to September 1943.[1]

From September 1943 to March 1944, he was commander of U.S. Army Forces in the Middle East. On March 1944, Royce returned to the United Kingdom as Deputy Commander of the Ninth Air Force to Lieutenant General Lewis H. Brereton and later Major General Hoyt Vandenberg. He commanded the 1st Tactical Air Force (Provisional) from October 1944 to January 1945, operating in support of the Sixth United States Army Group. He then commanded the Personnel Distribution Command at Louisville, Kentucky until August 1945.[1] Royce was married again in Detroit in February 1945, this time to Agnes Berges an ex-Manhattan hotel executive and overseas Red Cross worker.[11]

Ralph Royce bio at U.S. Air Force web page https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Biographies/Display/Article/2143098/major-general-ralph-royce/

Ralph Royce – military valor - https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/6192

Another excellent bio on Ralph Royce http://3rdstories.yolasite.com/ralph-royce.php

Ralph Royce https://www.ozatwar.com/people/royce.htm

Ralph Royce – another bio https://generals.dk/general/Royce/Ralph/USA.html

Ralph Royce Find a Grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/59716052/ralph-royce

D.H. Byrd could fly his airplane to LBJ’s ranch anytime he wanted to, even if President LBJ told him not to land - Darrell Royal story from his son Mack Royal

Mack Royal is the son of legendary University of Texas football coach Darrell Royal (UT head coach 1957-1976; 2 national championships). Darrell Royal was personal friends with Lyndon Johnson, Clint Murchison, D.H. Byrd and a slew of other upper crust Texas power elite who were in the Lyndon Johnson inner circle.

His son Mack Royal knew the children of the power elite of Texas. In fact he knew them and their families quite well.

Mack Royal also used to work at the LBJ Library and he has a sharp interest in the JFK assassination. Mack Royal also told me he was there when the LBJ Library was taking steps to "slow Robert Caro down." They literally had meetings about this and that late Robert Hardesty was one of the ringleaders in this effort to subvert Caro and other researchers into LBJ: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/us/politics/robert-l-hardesty-speechwriter-for-johnson-dies-at-82.html?_r=0

Coach Royal and his wife were at the LBJ one time when Johnson was president. They remember D.H. Byrd flying his plane to the LBJ Ranch; LBJ telling them not to land because he was busy and had company, and D.H. Byrd over-riding the president of the USA and landing his plane anyhow.

I guess that one little anecdote tells you a lot about the relationship of Lyndon Johnson and D.H. Byrd.

Here are some excerpts from Mack Royal's book, which is a fascinating collection of his emails to friends.

MACK ROYAL:

I knew D. Harold Byrd..flew on his DC3 (orange and white with a snorting "Bevo" on the tail) and heard this story about him during that time..   My parents were at the LBJ ranch with Lyndon when D. Harold Byrd radioed the ranch and said he was landing. Lyndon told him NOT to land and Byrd replied, "I'm landing." which he did.

Royal, Mack (2010-06-08). Fourteen Years on Fnord-L (Kindle Locations 8906-8911). Bozo Texino Press. Kindle Edition.

This link tells about D. Harold Byrd owning the Texas School Book Depository Building. I knew old D. Harold Byrd. I ate supper at his house and flew on his plane.   Later I met partners of Murchison. One of them became my "uncle" Bedford. Later I met the Murchisons. Coke-Anne Murchison is totally gorgeous, by the way.   These folks were thick with LBJ. These folks are my folks. I met LBJ too, and drove his car, swam in his pool, visited the White House and got a tour of the FBI. I have a nodding acquaintance with Admiral Inman.   So do you suppose I picked up a thing or two along the way? Duh.

Royal, Mack (2010-06-08). Fourteen Years on Fnord-L (Kindle Locations 9120-9130). Bozo Texino Press. Kindle Edition.

More about D. Harold Byrd. His cousins were Senator Harry Flood Byrd and Admiral Byrd of Antarctica fame. He started a company called Temco which later became part of Ling Temco Vaught, which got a juicy contract out of the Viet Nam war. (TFX fighter plane) He was a conservative Dallas oil man who helped start the Civil Air Patrol. He took the "sniper's window" out of his building (Texas School Book Depository) after the assassination and hung it in his house! One of the panes had been replaced. By the way, Mac Wallace's prints were all over that room called the sniper's nest on the sixth floor. Billy Sol Estes said some stuff about Mac Wallace if you wanna look it up.

Royal, Mack (2010-06-08). Fourteen Years on Fnord-L (Kindle Locations 9153-9165). Bozo Texino Press. Kindle Edition.