The Education Forum

Washington Post article on Lisa Pease's book

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Terry, and Cory if you had read what she wrote you would not be at a loss.  I mean you can disagree with it, but she does advance evidence for it.

Way back in 2003, in The Assassinations, (which I presume you also did not read),  she wrote that Bill Harper was the first to think such was the case. (p. 568)  Harper was nothing less than a ballistics expert.  Turner and Christian also entertained this idea, and they wrote the first really good book on the case.

She then goes through about five witnesses who said words to the effect that the gun sounded like a pop gun, and emitted a flash like a starter's pistol, with paper flying.

She also goes through the property listing between McGann and Calkins at LAPD.  The first handgun checked in was a starter pistol model, it was then changed to what we have today, 55- SA. (ibid, p. 569)

That is only from her first essays back in 2003.

As per having five people wounded, well that would not be difficult if you had at least 13 shots in a pantry with lots of people in it.  Would It?

This is not a lead pipe cinch of course but it is a way of looking at the evidence which avoids a scenario of the programmed assassin killing Cesar.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Well Terry, and Cory if you had read what she wrote you would not be at a loss.  I mean you can disagree with it, but she does advance evidence for it.

Way back in 2003, in The Assassinations, (which I presume you also did not read),  she wrote that Bill Harper was the first to think such was the case. (p. 568)  Harper was nothing less than a ballistics expert.  Turner and Christian also entertained this idea, and they wrote the first really good book on the case.

She then goes through about five witnesses who said words to the effect that the gun sounded like a pop gun, and emitted a flash like a starter's pistol, with paper flying.

She also goes through the property listing between McGann and Calkins at LAPD.  The first handgun checked in was a starter pistol model, it was then changed to what we have today, 55- SA. (ibid, p. 569)

That is only from her first essays back in 2003.

As per having five people wounded, well that would not be difficult if you had at least 13 shots in a pantry with lots of people in it.  Would It?

This is not a lead pipe cinch of course but it is a way of looking at the evidence which avoids a scenario of the programmed assassin killing Cesar.

I have read those chapters by Lisa Pease in The Assassinations anthology.   I have not yet read her recently published book.  Does her book include substantial new information?

If Sirhan was, in fact, a Manchurian candidate -- which seems to be the case -- it would have made perfect sense for him to fire blanks, in order to avoid killing or injuring Cesar and any other assassins in the pantry.

In the process, he created a major distraction in the room while setting himself up as the obvious culprit for the murder -- provided that the detectives and forensic experts overlooked the obvious evidence that RFK was NOT killed by a frontal shot, and that too many shots had been fired.

Thanks Norman, I kind of thought it was Cohen.

WN, there is a lot of new information in the book.  Its nearly 500 pages long.

Just now, James DiEugenio said:

Ben Bradlee must be turning over in his grave

Lisa has always been a great researcher and investigator and this book is packed with good solid evidence, which she weaves together brilliantly. I encourage everyone to buy it. Jim, thanks for the Washington Post link - that is exactly what we need, this kind of exposure. I never thought I'd see the day that would happen. This is really exciting. 

Edited by Rob Couteau

6 hours ago, Terry Adams said:

I am at a loss as to why Lisa would ascertain that Sirhan was shooting blanks.  There were 5 other people shot along with Bobby Kennedy!

Because someone squatting on the steam table behind him, looking similar to him, dressed similarly to him, was firing over his right shoulder.  Even after he was subdued.  Thus people were ducking, trying to get out of the way, not looking toward Sirhan and this other person.

They didn't want Sirhan accidentally hitting Cesar or the real assassin (the one who shot RFK behind the right ear from less than an inch away). 

You make a key point though.  5 others shot.  RFK wounded twice in the body, at least once in the head, then one another one passed through his suit, also from the back lower rear upwards, like the other two body shots.  That's at least 9 shots, Sirhan's gun held eight.  Not counting the holes in the door facings or ceiling. 

Edited by Ron Bulman

Echoing Rob: What is going on with the Washington Post?

I mean this is unprecedented as far as I can see.

I really do not know how to explain it.  But if i had to take a guess I would say its two things.

First, Bezos is an absentee landlord.  Unlike with the Graham family, he is not a hands on type of guy and its really kind of a trinket with him.

Secondly, this Jackman guy must know Bobby Kennedy Jr.  He has written about six decent articles on the RFK case of late.  I mean if you remember the brutal Bradlee regime on the JFK/RFK/MLK cases,  this is really a break with the insufferable past.

BTW, from what I know, do you know the first person who called the Post about this story?  Gus Russo.  He even beat Moldea.  Who I guess was in Manila on the beach with Cesar.:wacko:

Anyway, please post in the comments section.  Send notes to Jackman also.  Encourage this kind of uncensored writing on these cases.  I cannot do it since I wrote the intro to her book.

Edited by James DiEugenio

23 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

Nothing Mr. Cool? Ok, just go buy the book and report back to us.

the community has suffered enough from you legal/beagle types... You wear a shirt and tie, NOT a cloak of respectability, that you earn. Let's see your stuff.

I wrote an email message of thanks yesterday to Tom Jackman for his article on the Lisa Pease book

and his other work: Dear Mr. Jackman,

Thanks for your evenhanded and respectful
coverage of Lisa Pease’s new book and the RFK
assassination. This and your other recent coverage
of related topics have been a breath of fresh air
to this observer who has followed for decades
how the Post has tried to mock and marginalize
people who dissent from the official myths
about political assassinations in this country.

It seems things may be changing. and the paper
may have more of an open mind.

Keep up the good work,

Joseph McBride
Author, INTO THE NIGHTMARE: MY SEARCH FOR THE
KILLERS OF PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY AND OFFICER
J. D. TIPPIT

3 hours ago, David G. Healy said:

the community has suffered enough from you legal/beagle types... You wear a shirt and tie, NOT a cloak of respectability, that you earn. Let's see your stuff.

Yes your prejudice to lawyers is humorously duly noted.  Now please, spare no time, go read the book.  

Just now, Joseph McBride said:

It seems things may be changing. and the paper
may have more of an open mind.

Good letter, Mr. McBride. BTW I am about 100 pages into your Nightmare book and really enjoying it. The copy I purchased online has a handwritten dedication from you to Issa Clubb dated 2016 - which I wasn't aware of until it arrived. A nice surprise.

2 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

Yes your prejudice to lawyers is humorously duly noted.  Now please, spare no time, go read the book.  

So you have read the book, referring to A Lie Too Big To Fail?  Why don't you argue points in it counselor?  David's been posting here for years and some of us find many of them inquisitive and informative.

Regarding lawyers and humor, take your pick and have a laugh at your own expense.  I think the 2019 daily calendar would be amusing in many law office break rooms, not in the lobby or your office of course, where clients would actually see it

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=lawyer+jokes&sprefix=lawyer+j%2Cstripbooks%2C265&crid=ZM9435HD9URR&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Alawyer+jokes

Edited by Ron Bulman

Ron, this is not the first time I have read your comments and scratched my head trying to interpret what should be a straight forward comment from you.  

Pease go back to my original comment.  Just to be clear, I never attacked Lisa, nor her book.  I gave what should be a personal insight into the allegations raised in the article and in effect critiqued the article.  I did ask what evidence the article was alluding to which connected Mr. Maheu to the event.  Actually, my criticism was really about the article in that I fail to see why this evidence is not clarified for the reader.  Unfortunately, it is a "buy the book" recommendation article. 

I should note, if you  read my post, which apparently you did not, I said I did not read the book.  Thus, when you ask "So you have read the book, referring to A Lie Too Big To Fail", again, I scratch my head.  I fail to see how I could have been more clear.

Perhaps you and David can go read the book?

Now, Jim Di. on the other hand, came in, not once but twice, and professionally responded to my question.  Clearly, he was and is intelligent enough to read a simple comment and give an insightful response.  I appreciated what Jim said.  He did not need to resort to personal attacks or lawyer comments.  No, Jim gave an intelligent response and responded to my question.

Personally, I like lawyer jokes as much as the next person.  Using them as a means to debate however are somewhat disingenuous.

If anyone reads the book, perhaps you can share some insight for those of us that do not have time to read it?

Ron, hopefully this is clear?

Edited by Cory Santos

You know the funniest lawyer joke I ever heard was from Lamar Hunt.

He said:  My definition of a tragedy is when a bus load of lawyers goes over a cliff and there's one empty seat.

:drive