The Education Forum

----- >>>>> It's Lee <<<<< -----

Guest Bart Kamp

2 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

But at the same time....so meaningless.

Marina Oswald looked at the same crappy, fuzzy image that all of us have looked at, and yet she somehow KNOWS "It's Lee".

Yeah, right.  Eyeroll-Icon-Blogspot.gif

TSBD-Front-Entrance-11-22-63.jpg

Edited by David Von Pein

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, David G. Healy said:

1/2" video tape is associated with VHS & Beta (Max) and Digi Beta tape (in some circles). Neither of these formats provides more than 220-240 (1st generation) lines of resolution. Although digi-Beta was a marked improvement over the other two and was used exclusively in the "pro" market place. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS#Signal_standards ) 

For your info, 3/4" video tape was know ibroadcast industry wide as U-matic tape. This tape format provides max 280 lines of resolution (1st generation). (http://www.derose.net/steve/resources/video-resolution.html ) Regarding today's video standards all these formats leave much to be desired from a quality standpoint..

Your website makes confusing references to 3/4" and 1/2" videotape.

Congrat's on your recent work...

Betacam and Digital betacam are 1/2" formats but the biggest difference is that VHS is a composite format that combines the chroma and luma information into a single signal whereas the old broadcast formats (other than Umatic) were component with the rgb in separate signals. I belive Betamax had a similar component recording but it's tape speed was half - or something like that. Many of the Betacam and Digital betacam formats would record up to about 850 horizontal lines but the quality has a lot to do with the originating format and transfer method. Shoot on Digibeta and then the workflow would keep that through quite a few generations as long as you stay in Digibeta. The betacam formats were usually digitized at 720x486 pixels (D-1 pixel aspect ratio) and the difference between the original tape and the digitized copy were insignificant. Digital betacam is roughly 1k by today's terms.

What was the original format that Darnell and Weigman were shot on?

7 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

What was the original format that Darnell and Weigman were shot on?

I believe they were both in camera 16mm B&W film. Who knows what video format they were later transferred to. Whatever they were, Zapruder film (double 8mm Kodacolor) included, the blacks were crushed...  very high contrast.

Edited by David G. Healy

So Dave, you are saying that you could only get 240 lines of resolution once you went to tape from that?

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

What was the original format that Darnell and Weigman [sic] were shot on?

From Richard Trask's outstanding 1994 book, "Pictures Of The Pain":

"A Texas Department of Public Safety driver was assigned to this car [Camera Car #3] which also carried local Dallas TV 16mm cameramen Jim Underwood, Malcolm Couch, and Jimmy Darnell." -- Page 437 of "POTP"

[...]

"Wiegman's camera was a FILMO, almost identical to Craven's, except that Wiegman did not use a handle. .... The wide angle lens he used varied from a 9mm, 10mm, or 13mm, though on the Texas trip, Wiegman thinks he used a 10mm." -- Pages 363-364 of "POTP"

Edited by David Von Pein

From Duncan MacRae's forum.... 

"I just had a nice half hour phone conversation with Debra Conway and she told me Buell Frazier has told her several times that Prayer Man is Sarah Stanton. Conway then told me, "I know Buell, and I don't think he would lie about a thing like that"." -- Brian Doyle; February 17, 2019

32 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

"I just had a nice half hour phone conversation with Debra Conway and she told me Buell Frazier has told her several times that Prayer Man is Sarah Stanton. Conway then told me, "I know Buell, and I don't think he would lie about a thing like that"." -- Brian Doyle; February 17, 2019

From MacRae's forum via Doyle...this is true?

33 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

David: you would not believe anything that Mr. Doyle says, would you? Mrs. Stanton had thick grey hair on the top of her 5'6'' body. She was seriously obese and she was, of course, a woman. Where can you see these features in Prayer Man? 

11 minutes ago, Andrej Stancak said:

David: you would not believe anything that Mr. Doyle says, would you? Mrs. Stanton had thick grey hair on the top of her 5'6'' body. She was seriously obese and she was, of course, a woman. Where can you see these features in Prayer Man? 

Maybe somebody should ask Buell Wesley Frazier that question, instead of asking me.

Edited by David Von Pein

In other words, if we buy this, he does not need a better photo like he told Al Rossi he did.

Further I should add the Doyle reply is much fuller than the above.

I am sure Kamp will post the whole thing with his responses here.

He already did at ROKC.

Edited by James DiEugenio

48 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

So it doesn't have to be true to share...

Of course it doesn't. Most of the junk I "share" on my site taken from CTers' posts at this place isn't true. Far from it.

However, I have no reason to believe (as of this moment) that Brian Doyle just MADE UP that quote from Debra Conway that he posted at Duncan's forum.

Edited by David Von Pein