The Education Forum

New Orleans - The beginning of the end?

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

Shrub has met his Waterloo...Where-oh-where is the Christian right? Ya know, the M O R A L majority? Truck loads of water sitting on a freeway in the south, won't move till authorized, all the 'authorizers' are posing for photos while townspeople need a drink of potable water -- you got a world class cluster f*** underway, Mr. Gratz! How will Karl Rove, ole buddy, fix this ONE?

F E M A? What's FEMA?

By using Republican disinformation agents like Tim Gratz. Apparently a poll shows that 45% of Americans are pleased with the way George Bush has handled the crisis so far. It seems that the Americans do have a lot of people like Tim who are incapable of logical thought. I suppose some could use the excuse that they only get their information from media outlets like Fox News, but Tim has the benefit of reading the thoughts of the wise people who make up this forum. But as I have long suspected, Tim does not actually read these posts. If he does, he clearly does not understand them.

"Apparently a poll shows that 45% of Americans are pleased with the way George Bush has handled the crisis so far."

Could that possibly have anything to do with the fact that when a survey was done in recent years, during the attempts to overhaul the education system of the U.S.? It came to light that the majority of the average intelligence of the population barely hit 72 on the scale used to measure the effectiveness of the curriculars being taught in K1 through 12? And if so, that in itself might explain the choices being made in the current electoral process which allow for ex B-rated movie stars, and C? [more like D-] persons of low average intelligence to be elected and accepted based on their television photo-op projectability, or their penchant for mouthing pre-fabbed sound-bytes. Rather than, based on their ability to correctly apply logic and critical thinking skills needed for assessing every kind of situation, and/or worse-case scenario to be anticipated and confronted in a timely manner?

I have failed to denote any of these skills reflected by this administration at any time during its regime. The only thing they've ever accomplished in a timely manner was their declaration of war in Iraq. And, if this is what 45% of these yahoos find acceptable, then by all means let them send their sons and daughters off to be slaughtered. If they're ignorant enough to be amenable to the possibility of that kind of an outcome, are willing to be handed an American flag folded into a triangle at their child's funeral, and ready to raise their grandchildren without benefit of a mother or father, or adequate compensation for their loss, then that's just great!

In the case of the Katrina disaster, I find it despicable, as well as deplorable, and especially egregious in the manner in which the "color bar" [sTILL] has been allowed to rear its ugly head. Once more proving a point to history and revealing to the world at large, the truly mean-spirited, and horrific soul [sTILL] being shamelessly exhibited by this paradox of a "so-called" free and equal brotherhood of man, un-equally co-existing in these United States of America, and in the 21st Century, yet. I guess I must be expecting too much from a race of white morons.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article10121.htm

NEWS YOU WON'T FIND ON CNN

We Have Been Abandoned By Our Own Country

"Bureaucracy has committed murder here in the greater New Orleans area, and bureaucracy has to stand trial before Congress now. "

You have to watch this video to understand, how little regard our government has for the welfare of its own citizens.

Press play to view.

Click here to play in remote player

TRANSCRIPT

Jefferson Parish President Broussard, let me start with you. You just heard the director of Homeland Security's explanation of what has happened this last week. What is your reaction?

MR. AARON BROUSSARD: We have been abandoned by our own country. Hurricane Katrina will go down in history as one of the worst storms ever to hit an American coast, but the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina will go down as one of the worst abandonments of Americans on American soil ever in U.S. history. I am personally asking our bipartisan congressional delegation here in Louisiana to immediately begin congressional hearings to find out just what happened here. Why did it happen? Who needs to be fired? And believe me, they need to be fired right away, because we still have weeks to go in this tragedy. We have months to go. We have years to go. And whoever is at the top of this totem pole, that totem pole needs to be chain-sawed off and we've got to start with some new leadership.

It's not just Katrina that caused all these deaths in New Orleans here. Bureaucracy has committed murder here in the greater New Orleans area, and bureaucracy has to stand trial before Congress now. It's so obvious. FEMA needs more congressional funding. It needs more presidential support. It needs to be a Cabinet-level director. It needs to be an independent agency that will be able to fulfill its mission to work in partnership with state and local governments around America. FEMA needs to be empowered to do the things it was created to do. It needs to come somewhere, like New Orleans, with all of its force immediately, without red tape, without bureaucracy, act immediately with common sense and leadership, and save lives. Forget about the property. We can rebuild the property. It's got to be able to come in and save lives.

We need strong leadership at the top of America right now in order to accomplish this and to-- reconstructing FEMA.

MR. RUSSERT: Mr. Broussard, let me ask--I want to ask--should...

MR. BROUSSARD: You know, just some quick examples...

MR. RUSSERT: Hold on. Hold on, sir. Shouldn't the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of New Orleans bear some responsibility? Couldn't they have been much more forceful, much more effective and much more organized in evacuating the area?

MR. BROUSSARD: Sir, they were told like me, every single day, "The cavalry's coming," on a federal level, "The cavalry's coming, the cavalry's coming, the cavalry's coming." I have just begun to hear the hoofs of the cavalry. The cavalry's still not here yet, but I've begun to hear the hoofs, and we're almost a week out.

Let me give you just three quick examples. We had Wal-Mart deliver three trucks of water, trailer trucks of water. FEMA turned them back. They said we didn't need them. This was a week ago. FEMA--we had 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel on a Coast Guard vessel docked in my parish. The Coast Guard said, "Come get the fuel right away." When we got there with our trucks, they got a word. "FEMA says don't give you the fuel." Yesterday--yesterday--FEMA comes in and cuts all of our emergency communication lines. They cut them without notice. Our sheriff, Harry Lee, goes back in, he reconnects the line. He posts armed guards on our line and says, "No one is getting near these lines." Sheriff Harry Lee said that if America--American government would have responded like Wal-Mart has responded, we wouldn't be in this crisis.

But I want to thank Governor Blanco for all she's done and all her leadership. She sent in the National Guard. I just repaired a breach on my side of the 17th Street canal that the secretary didn't foresee, a 300-foot breach. I just completed it yesterday with convoys of National Guard and local parish workers and levee board people. It took us two and a half days working 24/7. I just closed it.

MR. RUSSERT: All right.

MR. BROUSSARD: I'm telling you most importantly I want to thank my public employees...

MR. RUSSERT: All right.

MR. BROUSSARD: ...that have worked 24/7. They're burned out, the doctors, the nurses. And I want to give you one last story and I'll shut up and let you tell me whatever you want to tell me. The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said, "Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?" And he said, "Yeah, Mama, somebody's coming to get you. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday." And she drowned Friday night. She drowned Friday night.

MR. RUSSERT: Mr. President...

MR. BROUSSARD: Nobody's coming to get us. Nobody's coming to get us. The secretary has promised. Everybody's promised. They've had press conferences. I'm sick of the press conferences. For God sakes, shut up and send us somebody.

MR. RUSSERT: Just take a pause, Mr. President. While you gather yourself in your very emotional times, I understand, let me go to Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi.

Proud to be an American? Not hardly. But, I've just donated two weeks of my PTO [Personal Time Off] and my skills in disaster response to wherever they may need me in the Gulf states. So far, I've received replies from LSU in Baton Rouge, somewhere in Houston, TX, and somewhere in Montgomery, AL. I also just filled out an application with the USHHS in D.C.

My boss is going to kill me tomorrow.

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. Information Clearing House has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is Information Clearing House endorsed or sponsored by the originator.)

Edited by Terry Mauro

After watching the coverage of Katrina and the dreadful aftermath this week, I found myself echoing a statement made by Jim Garrison (Kevin Costner) in "JFK" when he heard cheers after the announcement that JFK was dead -- "I am ashamed to be an American today."

There are no words to adequately convey my distress over the abandonment of these citizens this week. There are no photo-ops W or the others can find that will ever impress me in the least.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by these events.

Take a look at this.

No wonder they weren't answering the phones at their headquarters in Los Angeles, Santa Monica, or West L.A. And, here I'd thought they'd all gone to a barbecue for the Labor Day Weekend.

Disaster FAQs

Military Members and Families FAQs

Health and Safety FAQs

International FAQs

Community FAQs

Nursing FAQs

Volunteers FAQs

Youth FAQs

Find Your Local

Red Cross

Enter Zip Code Here:

Or Browse Through

A List of Chapters!

Circle of Humanitarians

The following text entry box is for a search of frequently asked questions asked by visitors to the site. Please ask your question here and results closely matching your question will be returned. For searching the entire site you should visit the Search page of the site.

Please enter your question in the box below.

Disaster FAQs

Hurricane Katrina: Why is the Red Cross not in New Orleans?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hurricane Katrina: Why is the Red Cross not in New Orleans?

Access to New Orleans is controlled by the National Guard and local authorities and while we are in constant contact with them, we simply cannot enter New Orleans against their orders.

The state Homeland Security Department had requested--and continues to request--that the American Red Cross not come back into New Orleans following the hurricane. Our presence would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city.

The Red Cross has been meeting the needs of thousands of New Orleans residents in some 90 shelters throughout the state of Louisiana and elsewhere since before landfall. All told, the Red Cross is today operating 149 shelters for almost 93,000 residents.

The Red Cross shares the nation’s anguish over the worsening situation inside the city. We will continue to work under the direction of the military, state and local authorities and to focus all our efforts on our lifesaving mission of feeding and sheltering.

The Red Cross does not conduct search and rescue operations. We are an organization of civilian volunteers and cannot get relief aid into any location until the local authorities say it is safe and provide us with security and access.

The original plan was to evacuate all the residents of New Orleans to safe places outside the city. With the hurricane bearing down, the city government decided to open a shelter of last resort in the Superdome downtown. We applaud this decision and believe it saved a significant number of lives.

As the remaining people are evacuated from New Orleans, the most appropriate role for the Red Cross is to provide a safe place for people to stay and to see that their emergency needs are met. We are fully staffed and equipped to handle these individuals once they are evacuated.

© Copyright The American National Red Cross. All Rights Reserved. ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE DIRECTORY | PRIVACY POLICY

Edited by Terry Mauro

Below is an AP story that appeared in today's Columbus Dispatch. Those who suggest that many of the citizens who remained to ride out the storm did so by choice, and are therefore somehow less deserving of assistance, may find this piece interesting.

Families too poor to flee, data show

Hard-hit areas often were minority neighborhoods

Monday, September 05, 2005

Frank Bass

ASSOCIATED PRESS

People living in the path of Hurricane Katrina’s worst devastation were twice as likely as most Americans to be poor and without a car — factors that might help explain why so many couldn’t evacuate as the storm approached.

An Associated Press analysis of U.S. Census data shows that the residents in the three dozen hardest-hit neighborhoods in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama also were disproportionately minority and had incomes $10,000 below the national average.

"Let them know we’re not bums. We have houses. Our houses were destroyed. We have jobs. It’s not our fault that we didn’t have cars to leave," Shatonia Thomas, 27, said as she walked near New Orleans’ convention center five days after the storm, still trapped in the destruction with her children, ages 6 and 9.

Money and transportation — two keys to surviving a natural disaster — were inaccessible for many who got left behind in the Gulf region’s worst squalor.

"It’s a different equation for poor people," explained Dan Carter, a University of South Carolina historian. "There’s a certain ease of transportation and funds that the middle class in this country takes for granted."

Catina Miller, a 32-year-old grocery deli worker who lived in the 9 th Ward, a poverty-stricken New Orleans enclave created in the 1870s by immigrants who were too poor to find higher ground, said she certainly would have liked to have left the city before the hurricane hit.

"But where can you go if you don’t have a car?" she asked. "Not everyone can just pick up and take off."

Jack Harrald, director of the Institute for Crisis, Disaster and Risk Management at George Washington University in Washington, said emergency planners have known for years that the poverty and lack of transportation in New Orleans would be a significant problem, but the government spent more time and money preparing itself — rather than communities — for disaster.

"All issues were known," said Harrald, whose institute had been scheduling a series of emergency planning community meetings through a partnership with the University of New Orleans. "But it was still a work in progress. . . . There’s enough blame to go around for everybody."

The AP analysis showed:

• Median household income in the most devastated neighborhood was $32,000, or $10,000 less than the national average.

• Two in 10 households in the disaster area had no car, compared with 1 in 10 in nationwide.

• Nearly 25 percent of those living in the hardest-hit areas were below the poverty line, about double the national average. About 4.5 percent in the disaster area received public assistance; nationwide, the number was about 3.5 percent.

• About 60 percent of the 700,000 people in the three dozen neighborhoods were minority. Nationwide, about 1 in 3 Americans is a racial minority.

• One in 200 American households doesn’t have adequate plumbing. One in 100 households in the most affected areas didn’t have decent plumbing, which, according to the census, includes running hot and cold water, a shower or bath and an indoor toilet.

• Nationwide, about 7 percent of households with children are headed by a single mother. In the three dozen neighborhoods, 12 percent were single-mother households.

"It’s the same people who don’t have the wherewithal to get out of Dodge," explained National Guard Lt. Col. Connie McNabb, who was running a medical unit at the besieged convention center in New Orleans.

The disparities were even more glaring in large, urban areas. One of the worst-hit neighborhoods in the heart of New Orleans, for example, had a median household income of less than $7,500.

"I didn’t have much in there," said Deanna Harris, a 57-year-old unemployed New Orleans resident, "but it was mine.

"Now, this is what I’ve got," she said, patting a plastic bag.

The victims of Mississippi have much the same story.

In one Pascagoula neighborhood, where 30 percent of residents are minorities, more than 20 percent live in poverty.

"There’s not a lot of interest in this issue, except when there’s something dramatic," said Carter, the South Carolina historian. "By and large, the poor are simply out of sight, out of mind."

Edited by Greg Wagner

Greg, the reason the poor without cars could not leave was because the doufas of the mayor did not think to use school buses to evacuate his constituents. (As Mark noted, he had no plan.) I understand that after the evacuation the mayor was even interviewed on a television talk show and was specifically asked how people could evacuate who had no cars. He had no answer!

The responsibilioty for the deaths of those who could not evacuate falls squarely on his shoulders, IMO. Plus, he had to receive calls from the Governor, the President and the head of the National Hurricane Center to persuade him to issue a mandatory evacuation order. Undoubtedly precious lives were lost due to his delay (overnight at least) in issuing the evacuation order.

I notice none of the "blame Bush" crowd has answered my questions about responsibility of the mayor for his failure to evacuate his city.

I will not say that mistakes were not made at the federal level but the problem was created in the first place by the failure at the local level.

Edited by Tim Gratz

My prayers are with those who suffer. I hope Tom's doing OK.

I've been scouring the net trying to find out what Kennedy might have done. It seems the history of disater relief in the US has for 60 odd years been a see saw between a 'pick up the pieces' response and a proactive one. The Kennedy years appears to have been a period when the federal government through Kennedys influence took a more responsibility oriented approach. Johnson short circuited that approach and it was resumed under Carter, then a swing again and back to a mitigating response under Clinton. The history I was following doesn't go beyond the Clinton years, but perhaps once again it has swung to a 'pick up the pieces' response?

There is no shadow to His turning -- "God's work on earth must truly be our own." : John F. Kennedy

In 1961 a young president declared that "we would bear any burden, pay any price to secure the blessings of liberty.

Some words from Kennedy(from various speeches and writings, sorted in such a way to help me answer the question "what would Kennedy have done?"):

"Wisdom requires the long view.

Our task is not to fix the blame for the past, but to fix the course for the future.

I am reminded of the story of the great French Marshal Lyautey, who once asked his gardener to plant a tree. The gardener objected that the tree was slow-growing and would not reach maturity for a hundred years. The Marshal replied, "In that case, there is no time to lose, plant it this afternoon."

When written in Chinese, the word crisis is compounded of two characters-one represents danger, and the other represents opportunity.

To those peoples in the huts and villages of half the globe struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required--not because the Communists may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right. If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

...will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed, color, or national origin. The contractor will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin.

And if a beachhead of cooperation may push back the jungle of suspicion, let both sides join in creating a new endeavor, not a new balance of power, but a new world of law, where the strong are just and the weak secure and the peace preserved. All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days. Nor will it finished in the first one thousand days, nor in the life of this administration, nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin.

There are risks and costs to a program of action. But they are far less than the long range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.

Let both sides explore what problems unite us instead of belaboring these problems which divide us.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country

It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war.

....not peace at the expense of freedom, but both peace and freedom.

....our success or failure, in whatever office we may hold, will be measured by the answers to four questions:

First, were we truly men of courage--with the courage to stand up to one's enemies--and the courage to stand up, when necessary, to one's associates--the courage to resist public pressure, as well as private greed?

Secondly, were we truly men of judgment--with perceptive judgment of the future as well as the past--of our own mistakes as well as the mistakes of others--with enough wisdom to know that we did not know, and enough candor to admit it?

Third, were we truly men of integrity--men who never ran out on either the principles in which they believed or the people who believed in them--men who believed in us--men whom neither financial gain nor political ambition could ever divert from the fulfillment of our sacred trust?

Finally, were we truly men of dedication--with an honor mortgaged to no single individual or group, and compromised by no private obligation or aim, but devoted solely to serving the public good and the national interest.

Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us here the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.

All my life I’ve known better than to depend on the experts. How could I have been so stupid, to let them go ahead?"

JFK 1963 - end of an era?

John wrote (quoting JFK):

To those peoples in the huts and villages of half the globe struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required--not because the Communists may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right. If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

John, take a look at the thread I started on "Adventures in Missions". That group sends out short-term missionaries that not only attempt to proselytize but also work with the disadvantages and places where civilization has not yet reached. It is only one of many organizations that do such things.

And of course on a nonsectarian basis the Peace Corps started by JFK continues as well.

Great quotations, of course. Without denying JFK's own wit and intellect, so amply demonstrated at his press conferences, I suspect that Theodore Sorenson deserves some credit for the rhetoric.

Edited by Tim Gratz

My prayers are with those who suffer. I hope Tom's doing OK.

I've been scouring the net trying to find out what Kennedy might have done. It seems the history of disater relief in the US has for 60 odd years been a see saw between a 'pick up the pieces' response and a proactive one. The Kennedy years appears to have been a period when the federal government through Kennedys influence took a more responsibility oriented approach. Johnson short circuited that approach and it was resumed under Carter, then a swing again and back to a mitigating response under Clinton. The history I was following doesn't go beyond the Clinton years, but perhaps once again it has swung to a 'pick up the pieces' response?

There is no shadow to His turning -- "God's work on earth must truly be our own." : John F. Kennedy

In 1961 a young president declared that "we would bear any burden, pay any price to secure the blessings of liberty.

Some words from Kennedy(from various speeches and writings, sorted in such a way to help me answer the question "what would Kennedy have done?"):

"Wisdom requires the long view.

Our task is not to fix the blame for the past, but to fix the course for the future.

I am reminded of the story of the great French Marshal Lyautey, who once asked his gardener to plant a tree. The gardener objected that the tree was slow-growing and would not reach maturity for a hundred years. The Marshal replied, "In that case, there is no time to lose, plant it this afternoon."

When written in Chinese, the word crisis is compounded of two characters-one represents danger, and the other represents opportunity.

...will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed, color, or national origin. The contractor will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin.

And if a beachhead of cooperation may push back the jungle of suspicion, let both sides join in creating a new endeavor, not a new balance of power, but a new world of law, where the strong are just and the weak secure and the peace preserved. All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days. Nor will it finished in the first one thousand days, nor in the life of this administration, nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin.

There are risks and costs to a program of action. But they are far less than the long range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.

Let both sides explore what problems unite us instead of belaboring these problems which divide us.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country

It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war.

....not peace at the expense of freedom, but both peace and freedom.

....our success or failure, in whatever office we may hold, will be measured by the answers to four questions:

First, were we truly men of courage--with the courage to stand up to one's enemies--and the courage to stand up, when necessary, to one's associates--the courage to resist public pressure, as well as private greed?

Secondly, were we truly men of judgment--with perceptive judgment of the future as well as the past--of our own mistakes as well as the mistakes of others--with enough wisdom to know that we did not know, and enough candor to admit it?

Third, were we truly men of integrity--men who never ran out on either the principles in which they believed or the people who believed in them--men who believed in us--men whom neither financial gain nor political ambition could ever divert from the fulfillment of our sacred trust?

Finally, were we truly men of dedication--with an honor mortgaged to no single individual or group, and compromised by no private obligation or aim, but devoted solely to serving the public good and the national interest.

Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us here the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.

All my life I’ve known better than to depend on the experts. How could I have been so stupid, to let them go ahead?"

JFK 1963 - end of an era?

Tim wrote:

John wrote (quoting JFK):

John, take a look at the thread I started on "Adventures in Missions". That group sends out short-term missionaries that not only attempt to proselytize but also work with the disadvantages and places where civilization has not yet reached. It is only one of many organizations that do such things.

And of course on a nonsectarian basis the Peace Corps started by JFK continues as well.

Great quotations, of course. Without denying JFK's own wit and intellect, so amply demonstrated at his press conferences, I suspect that Theodore Sorenson deserves some credit for the rhetoric.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Tim?

In what way do you mean 'rhetoric'?

rhet·o·ric (rĕt'ər-ĭk)

n.

The art or study of using language effectively and persuasively.

A treatise or book discussing this art.

Skill in using language effectively and persuasively.

A style of speaking or writing, especially the language of a particular subject: fiery political rhetoric.

Language that is elaborate, pretentious, insincere, or intellectually vacuous: His offers of compromise were mere rhetoric.

Verbal communication; discourse.

[Middle English rethorik, from Old French rethorique, from Latin rhētoricē, rhētorica, from Greek rhētorikē (tekhnē), rhetorical (art), feminine of rhētorikos, rhetorical, from rhētōr, rhetor

I trust not in the context suggested by "elaborate, pretentious, insincere, or intellectually vacuous"?

I sincerely doubt Kennedy would have uttered important words in his speeches of his own or those of others that he didn't agree with.

John wrote:

Tim? In what way do you mean 'rhetoric'?

Of the definitions you cited, the one that best fits is, I think:

Skill in using language effectively and persuasively.

John, I absolutely agree with you and in no way was I attempting to denigrate JFK's skills as a rhetorician by suggesting that Sorenson helped draft many of his speeches. Kennedy was certainly an excellent writer in his own right. And certainly Kennedy agreed with alkl the words he uttered regardless of who authored them.

Edited by Tim Gratz

T.Gratz wrote:

[...]

I notice none of the "blame Bush" crowd has answered my questions about responsibility of the mayor for his failure to evacuate his city.

your questions are irrelevant - Shrubs answers and FEMA responses are MOST relevant. Heads are going to roll, the GOP is on its way out! The WH, The Senate and, the HOUSE.

Perk up, Tim! When's that mid term election again?