The Education Forum

Muchmore & Bond camera positions ( standing side by side)

Robin Unger

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JFK's last smile.

Thanks, Robin!

Jack

Jack,

I do not think you are right.

1. The object that has some resemblance to the face of a dog is outside the car. It appears to be something or someone that is next to whom I assume is a policeman. There is a hand to be seen, but that is also outside the car.

2. You say that JFK is smiling and laughing with Jackie. Actually it appears he is smiling and communicating with John Connally. John Connally is turned towards JFK and appears to be communicating with him. Either way, at this point, JFK is not looking directly at Jackie.

3. You are right in saying Jackie is holding something. I can't find anyway to see how that object resembles a dog. I believe it is the white flowers that she was given.

I am sympathetic to Jean Hill being proved right, but I do not see it in that image.

James

Chris,

Good image. That clears everything up.

I was wrong in my interpretation. It is clear that what we are seeing is Jackie pushing her her hair back.

Your image makes it clear that there is no dog here.

Thanks.

James

JAMES IN MUCHMORE BUT NOT IN BOND...

Edited by Bernice Moore

Smith, Joe Marshall

Mr. LIEBELER. How many officers were assigned at Elm and Houston?

Mr. SMITH. Three of us.

Mr. LIEBELER. Who were the other two men?

Mr. SMITH. W. E. Barnett, and E. L. Smith. I think that is his initials. I know it is another Smith boy anyway.

Mr. LIEBELER. How did you station yourself when you got there?

Mr. SMITH. Just after we got the epileptic seizure en route to the hospital, I hadn't gotten back to the corner but just a few minutes until the motorcade was coming, so I stationed myself on Elm Street in the middle from the southeast curb of Elm and Houston and held traffic up.

Mr. LIEBELER. Which direction would this traffic have been coming from that you held up?

Mr. SMITH. It was heading west on Elm.

Mr. LIEBELER. Coming down Elm toward the triple underpass? Coming into the intersection of Elm and Houston?

Mr. SMITH. Yes.

JoeSmith.jpg

LastScan73.jpg

Hi Robin :)

Thanks for posting this thread over here.

As long as i read the Altgens photos 5 + 6 correctly, the positions of Police Officer Smith and Barnett should be somewhere here:

DPbarnett-smith-2.jpg

I believe we see in this Towner still photograph Police Officer Smith:

smithintowner.jpg

Close to the corner of the DalTex building from Towner's point of view.

I'am not entirely sure Smith's position in the Zapruder frame is actually there but on the other hand

i see a person there with a white hat. Mhhh. Did he move during the motorcade?

At last i want to thank Bernice Moore and Robin Unger for their kind support.

I'am not sure to deserve it.

And i want to thank John Simkin for letting me join.

Martin

Jack,

I may have mis-interpreted what you said, in which case I am sorry. But there were actually two Dallas policemen called Smith in Dealey Plaza that day.

Joe Smith was up by by the TSBD. I believe he was in charge of controlling traffic from Elm Street into the Plaza.

There was also an E.L. Smith who was positioned nearer the Main Street corner. In the discussion on "Lambchop", it may be E.L. Smith we are seeing.

James

In my opinion, two different policemen are shown. One is at the SE corner, the other at the NE corner.

Only one can be Officer Smith.

Jack

Edited by James R Gordon

Jack,

I may have mis-interpreted what you said, in which case I am sorry. But there were actually two Dallas policemen called Smith in Dealey Plaza that day.

Joe Smith was up by by the TSBD. I believe he was in charge of controlling traffic from Elm Street into the Plaza.

There was also an E.L. Smith who was positioned nearer the Main Street corner. In the discussion on "Lambchop", it may be E.L. Smith we are seeing.

James

In my opinion, two different policemen are shown. One is at the SE corner, the other at the NE corner.

Only one can be Officer Smith.

Jack

Hi James.

The full name of the other "Smith" is Edgar Leon Smith, Jr.

He describes the following:

Mr. SMITH. Okay - the dates and times will be just approximately, because I don't recall exactly, but, approximately 9 a.m., November 22, 1963, I attended a detail In the basement of the city hall for all men who were designated to work traffic for the President's visit to Dallas.

At that detail I was given instructions by Captain Lawrence, P. W. Lawrence, as to my duties and some things to watch out for. Some of these things I was to watch out for was to watch the crowd for any unusual movements and also to keep a check on the buildings in the vicinity of where I was located. He instructed us specifically about placards. I understand that people were allowed to carry placards, but if I should notice anyone attempting to throw them or any thing like that, I should take them into custody. I was assigned to the corner of Houston and Elm Street. I got to my traffic corner about --

Mr. LIEBELER. Now, you went down to the corner of Elm and Houston and took up your duty station there at about what time?

Mr. SMITH. I think it was about approximately 10 o'clock and - I believe that's about right.

Mr. LIEBELER. Where did you station yourself and what did you do from the time you arrived until the time the motorcade began to approach?

Mr. SMITH. I said approximately - oh, 30 to 40 feet south of the south curb of Elm Street at the east curb of Houston. I stood around there and talked with some of the people in this general vicinity and watched the crowd.

Mr. LIEBELER. You stood across the street on Houston Street from the Texas School Book Depository Building?

Mr. SMITH. Yes.

The way how interprete it, he was on duty at the corner of Elm and Houston street. He was there at 10 o'clock.

At the motorcade went by he stationed himself about 30-40 feet south of the south curb of Elm Street at the east curb of Houston.

At this point i see just one Police Officer. The man with the hand at his mouth. He maybe smoked a cigarette.

edgarsmith.jpg

Martin

quote:

At last i want to thank Bernice Moore and Robin Unger for their kind support.

I'am not sure to deserve it.

And i want to thank John Simkin for letting me join.

Hi Martin.

Good to see you posting on the Forum.

Robin.

For Jack.

The third officer on the Elm & Houston corner.

TESTIMONY OF WELCOME EUGENE BARNETT

Mr. LIEBELER - Now, going back, you got to the area around 10 o'clock; is that right?

Mr. BARNETT - Yes, sir.

Mr. LIEBELER - Where did you go when you got there?

Mr. BARNETT - Well there were three of us assigned to that one corner.

Mr. LIEBELER - Who were the other officers?

Mr. BARNETT - Who were the other officers?

Mr. LIEBELER - Yes.

Mr. BARNETT - J.D. Smith, and another officer named Smith. I don't know his initials. E.L. I believe.

Mr. LIEBELER - Did you divide your duties among yourselves when you got there, or had you been specifically instructed as to what each one was supposed to do?

Mr. BARNETT - We divided our duties.

Mr. LIEBELER - How did you do that?

Mr. BARNETT - Well, as best I remember, we each picked a corner and got on the corner. We were advised to stay on our corner, not to cross over to idly talk, but to stay on the corner and keep our eyes open and be ready.

Mr. LIEBELER - Did you remain there at all times from 10 o'clock until the motorcade arrived?

Mr. BARNETT - Yes; well, of course, I was here until we got word to stop the traffic, and I stepped out of this position here. I had to stop traffic from Houston here and help the other officers stop it on Elm, and stop this traffic on this small street that goes in front of the Depository Building.

Mr. LIEBELER - When the motorcade actually came, you moved over pretty much into Houston Street?

Mr. BARNETT - Yes, sir.

Mr. LIEBELER - To stop the traffic that was coming?

Mr. BARNETT - South on Houston Street.

Mr. LIEBELER - South on Houston Street?

Mr. BARNETT - Yes, sir; Elm Street is so wide, and I helped these officers here stop this traffic here.

Mr. LIEBELER - You are satisfied that you were further out into the intersection?

Mr. BARNETT - Yes, sir; the car passed within a few feet of me, and I was holding some people, or seeing that they stayed back, and one small boy started. I was afraid he was going to get too close, and I stopped him.

I beleive Barnett to be the cop seen in Altgens 6

He is standing in front of the Dal-Tex , near the two boys just behind Johnson's follow up car.

That left JD Smith & EL Smith to work the south side of Elm.

Edited by Robin Unger

Hi Duncan :)

At this point i see just one Police Officer. The man with the hand at his mouth. He maybe smoked a cigarette.

Martin

I read somewhere that the guy who is smoking, who is seen in your image, is a security gaurd, and not a Policeman.

Duncan

No, i don't missed that.

The location of this Officer fits exactly the descreption of Edgar Leon Smith.

If you can give us more information about a possibler Security guard with such clothes,

i would be more than happy.

thanks

Martin