The Education Forum

Enfield rifles

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/rich_n.htm

WC testimony of Nancy Perrin Rich

Mrs. RICH. “Well, apparently from what I could discern, they had some kind of a hitch in their plans. And at that time I point blank spoke up and said, "Well, suppose we discuss the plans in full before we"--meaning my husband and myself--"get into this. I would like to know what we are getting into. And at this point you know by now I certainly have a say in this matter." Then it came out-- boom---quite blank. We were going to bring Cuban refugees out---but we were going to run military supplies and Enfield rifles in.”

(This meeting that Nancy Rich describes took place in 1961)

From Property Clerk receipt Dallas City Archive Box 6 Folder 2 Item# 6

From Property Clerk receipt Dallas City Archive Box 6 Folder 2 Item# 54

image.png.72528709ac77c14a43fb7fcec9ccdffd.png

From Bernice Moore in the Education Forum 12/23/12

Subject: Re: NBC Announces Enfield .303 Rifle Found on TSBD.6th
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:02:24 -0500
Organization: Posted via RemarQ, http://www.remarQ.com - The Internet's Discussion Network
Newsgroups: alt.assassination.jfk,alt.conspiracy.jfk

According to the NBC book "There Was A President," reporter Tom Whalen said, at 2:13pm CST, "The weapon which was used to kill the president, and which wounded Gov. Connally, has been found in the Texas School Book Depository on the sixth floor - a British 303 rifle with a telescopic sight. Three empty cartridge cases were found beside the weapon. It appeared that whoever had occupied this sniper's nest had been here for some time."

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qqt01

Texas State Guard. By William C. Wilkes and Mary M. Standifer

The guards drilled in schoolyards and on vacant lots with makeshift weapons until July 1941, when the War Department issued them some surplus rifles. The rifles were recalled in May 1942, and shotguns issued shortly afterward. In 1943 the shotguns were replaced with a full issue of Enfield Rifles, and the units were issued trucks, jeeps, half-tracks, and machine guns.

Facebook posting by an unknown author.

https://www.facebook.com/TexasStateGuard/posts/1576889535692221

Texas State Guard

How about a little bit of HISTORY of the Texas State Guard?

With the advent of the Cold War, The Texas State Guard Reserve Corps (TSGRC) was given additional duties — those specific to statewide radio communications and civil defense. By 1951, the TSGRC had 50 fixed radio stations and over 100 automobiles throughout the state – almost all were funded at the personal expense of the operators and heavily used during many natural disasters. With the federalization of the Texas National Guard during the Berlin Crisis in 1961, 71 Texas National Guard Armories were left vacant and a great amount of state property unprotected. To address this, elements of the TSGRC were organized as Texas State Guard Security Units. These units were xxxigned to the 49th Armored Division and the 11014th Transportation Company, manning their respective armories until these units were returned to their state mission one year later.

Did the National Guard Armory theft involving Lawrence Miller and Donnell Whitter in Terrell, TX. involve any Enfield rifles by any chance?

Steve Thomas

Steve - did you see my post about the possibility that when the Paine garage was first searched that is when DPD detectives picked up the Carcano? I mean, all the early reports were for other types of rifles. Suddenly it was a Carcano, I believe in the evening of Nov. 22. 

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - did you see my post about the possibility that when the Paine garage was first searched that is when DPD detectives picked up the Carcano? I mean, all the early reports were for other types of rifles. Suddenly it was a Carcano, I believe in the evening of Nov. 22. 

Paul,

Yes, I did.

I was hoping that someone would pick up on that information about the Texas State Guard Reserve Corps. operating radio equipment specific to civil defense at their personal expense and relate that back to the COG radio traffic and Jack Crichton at the Fairgrounds.

Steve Thomas

This may relate also to Gordon McClendon, even though his name is not mentioned. He was a good friend of both Colonel Frank Brandstetter and even more curiously Jack Ruby. 

Interesting on both topics, the Enfield rifle and McLendon.  Especially since McLendon knew both Ruby and Phillips.

Paul, that is an interesting thesis but there is the Alyea film showing the officers recovering the MC rifle at about 1:30.  SO I don't think it had anything to do with the Paine garage.

11 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

I was hoping that someone would pick up on that information about the Texas State Guard Reserve Corps. operating radio equipment specific to civil defense at their personal expense and relate that back to the COG radio traffic and Jack Crichton at the Fairgrounds.

Steve Thomas

From Bill Kelly. JFK Countercoup blog July 22, 2012

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2012/07/shenanigans-at-dallas-state-fairgrounds.html

On April 1, 1962, Dallas Civil Defense, with Crichton heading its intelligence component, opened an elaborate underground command post under the patio of the Dallas Health and Science Museum. Because it was intended for ‘continuity-of-government’ operations during an attack, it was fully equipped with communications equipment.

Steve Thomas

11 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Because it was intended for ‘continuity-of-government’ operations

That phrase! COG is all over Cheney /Rumsfeld and 9/11. It must be the cover for all the sneaky stuff and the very hush hush. Why do we have it or allow it?

It may seem irrelevant, but the recent video  of the  NJ Tenafly police and the Port Authority "Commissioner" reminded me of this attitude--that some government positions are akin to royalty and have power over the serfs. They think they are owed special privileges and positions and things are secret to others. Let the sunshine in! Get rid of these branches of government that have been created for the few on the backs of the many.

if you look at Seymour Weitzman's original handwritten statement, he referred to a "mauser bolt action" and not a mauser rifle. apparently, the bolt action was often generically referred to as a mauser. 

Larry, this is a direct quote from the affidavit as it appears in RTJ (p. 409) 1992 edition.

"This rifle was a 7.65 Mauser bolt action equipped with a 4/18 scope, a thick leather brownish -black sling on it."

In the affidavit, "Mauser" is capitalized. And that word is really a follower to the caliber.

Unless someone changed the affidavit, he is saying its a Mauser.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Larry, this is a direct quote from the affidavit as it appears in RTJ (p. 409) 1992 edition.

"This rifle was a 7.65 Mauser bolt action equipped with a 4/18 scope, a thick leather brownish -black sling on it."

In the affidavit, "Mauser" is capitalized. And that word is really a follower to the caliber.

Unless someone changed the affidavit, he is saying its a Mauser.

I don't think I've ever read this quote myself, thanks.  "the brownish black sling on it" also gives it away.  That's not the sling described in the Warren Omission "evidence". 

On 4/25/2018 at 7:51 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Interesting on both topics, the Enfield rifle and McLendon.  Especially since McLendon knew both Ruby and Phillips.

Paul, that is an interesting thesis but there is the Alyea film showing the officers recovering the MC rifle at about 1:30.  SO I don't think it had anything to do with the Paine garage.

Jim - is it your opinion that the Alyea film shows a Carcano rifle? Or a Mauser?

The Alyea film shows the Carcano as it is taken out between the boxes.

Which does not mean that there was not a Mauser found also.

WC testimony of Nancy Perrin Rich:

We were going to bring Cuban refugees out---but we were going to run military supplies and Enfield rifles in.”

Texas State Guard:

?The guards drilled in schoolyards and on vacant lots with makeshift weapons. In 1943 the shotguns were replaced with a full issue of Enfield Rifles

With the federalization of the Texas National Guard during the Berlin Crisis in 1961, 71 Texas National Guard Armories were left vacant and a great amount of state property unprotected.

Education Forum posting by James Richards 12/11/2004:

I was hoping to get some forum members' opinions regarding Miller and Whitter. John Elrod claimed that Oswald identified Miller in the jail; Miller having been arrested 2 days earlier with Ruby's mechanic Whitter. These guys were in possession of US Army weapons stolen from the National Guard Armory in Terrell, Texas.”

DPD Archives Box 2, Folder# 6, Item# 9

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box2.htm

Robert (should be Richard) Borchgardt talks to Detective K.L. Anderton. Tells him that Jack Ruby is running guns to Mexico. Borchgardt tells Anderton that he got his information from Lawrence Miller, among others.

Is there a pipeline here involving a state contract for Enfield rifles by any chance?

Steve Thomas