The Education Forum

Questions About Charles V. Harrelson

I recently watched Woody Harrelson in the movie, Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri, and I recalled reading that Woody's father, Charles V. Harrelson, was a professional hit man who may have been one of the "Three Tramps" photographed in Dealey Plaza after JFK's assassination-- after being found by the police in a box car behind the Grassy Knoll.

There seem to be conflicting accounts on-line about whether Harrelson was the "Tramp" in the middle of the Dealey Plaza "Three Tramps" photo.  Incredibly, none of the "Three Tramps" were finger-printed or arrested on 11/22/63.

At the time of his 1980 arrest in El Paso for the murder of U.S. Judge John Wood, (in San Antonio) Harrelson reportedly claimed that he had killed JFK, then, later, changed his story.

He also, allegedly, said, later, that he would not have accepted a contract to kill JFK, because "the Mafia would have killed (him) the way they killed Oswald."

Harrelson, reportedly, died at the Federal Supermax prison here in Florence, Colorado in 2007.

My question.  Was Harrelson, in fact, one of the "Three Tramps" in the Dealey Plaza photograph?

Secondly, if he was, wouldn't he, logically, be considered a major suspect in the JFK assassination, since he was, obviously, a hit man?

In THE MEN WHO KILLED KENNEDY, Charles Harrelson is shown Tramp pictures and admits one of the Tramps sure looks like him. Oliver Stone

had Woody Harrelson as the male lead in NATURAL BORN KILLERS. Woody reportedly doesn't believe his father shot JFK.

Edited by Joseph McBride

Woody's said different things at different times to different people.  I'm trying to find the tape where Jim Marrs said that, during the making of JFK, Marrs asked the 64-dollar question, and WH left JM with the strong impression that the answer was Yes.

This, of course, does not make CVH a shooter. 

In his JFKA novel Libra, Don DiLillo writes a character named Wayne Elko who strongly portrays the F-up proclivities of CVH, which would preclude him from delicate trigger work.  There are hit men and there are hit men.

Edited by David Andrews

2 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

In THE MEN WHO KILLED KENNEDY, Charles Harrelson is shown Tramp pictures and admits one of the Tramps sure looks like him. Oliver Stone

had Woody Harrelson as the male lead in NATURAL BORN KILLERS. Woody reportedly doesn't believe his father shot JFK.

Natural Born Killers is quite a disturbing piece of work by Oliver Stone, as is Talk Radio, (based loosely on the murder of our local talk radio host, Alan Berg, here in Denver in the 1980s.)

But, I wonder if we will ever hear the real story about what Charles Harrelson was doing in Dallas on 11/22/63-- if he was, in fact, there.

I read somewhere (?) that Harrelson told someone that he was in Houston on 11/22/63.

I was hoping that some of the experts on this forum might have the straight story.

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

Woody's said different things at different times to different people.  I'm trying to find the tape where Jim Marrs said that, during the making of JFK, Marrs asked the 64-dollar question, and WH left JM with the strong impression that the answer was Yes.

In his JFKA novel Libra, Don DiLillo writes a character named Wayne Elko who strongly portrays the F-up proclivities of CVH, which would preclude him from delicate trigger work.  There are hit men and there are hit men.

Interesting stuff.  I read Don DeLillo's novel, Libra, many years before I ever began to study some of the serious research about the JFK assassination.  At the time, I still simply assumed that Lee Harvey Oswald had been JFK's nutty, lone assassin.  DeLillo is a great literati but I'll have to re-read the novel to assess his merit as a historian.

2 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Thanks for posting this David, I've never seen it.

All I've ever read about CVH was he looked like one of the tramps (maybe), he said, years later he shot JFK, then he retracted his statement.

Woody, actor that he is comes across as sincere at points, e.g. the end.  Talking about dad and the CIA, looking directly at the camera at important points.

I've watched this interview of Woody Harrelson by Barbara Walters several times over the years.

Harrelson is extremely hesitant and uncomfortable in this interview.

Who wouldn't be when the subject is about one's father and the father's participatory roles in murders.

However, I sense a gut feeling of sincerity in Woody Harrelson's answers partly because of his degree of discomfort and unease. That would be a logical emotional state imo.

When Walters reminded Woody Harrelson that in the past he had said his father was a CIA Operative and asked again if he still believed this, Harrelson quickly and confidently reaffirmed this past statement of his quoted by Walters ... "Yeah, he was."

What I would give to hear what Woody H. knows that gives him this confidence in keeping his belief of his father's employment by you-know-who.

We have heard and read hundreds of times statements from highly credentialed witnesses that the agency hired and used members of American organized crime for domestic covert action for decades.

Because of this widely stated and held belief that this connection is and has been true in many ways...it is totally believable that Charles Harrelson could have been employed by them.

Maybe someday Woody Harrelson will say what he knows in this area regarding his father.

Edited by Joe Bauer

12 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Interesting stuff.  I read Don DeLillo's novel, Libra, many years before I ever began to study some of the serious research about the JFK assassination.  At the time, I still simply assumed that Lee Harvey Oswald had been JFK's nutty, lone assassin.  DeLillo is a great literati but I'll have to re-read the novel to assess his merit as a historian.

The book is far from history, but the things it gets right, perceptively, can be illuminating and provocative.  It's a great "take" on Oswald and his milieu, and there probably won't be a better one in fiction.

I'm trying to find what Jim Marrs said about WH's admission, which I heard among the memorials last year.

Edited by David Andrews

Actually, after his segment on MWKK, Harrelson at one point admitted to killing JFK. Here's a video clip of him walking back that admission.

You'd have to suspect almost everything he'd say.