The Education Forum

I never knew

Call me naïve but...I knew JFK was disliked by a lot of people.  But after reading some of Farewell America last night, I learned he was hated by everyone.  He was hated by poor blacks, blue collar workers, almost everyone in government, the military, almost everyone in business, academia, women...I hate to draw a comparison but JFK was hated as much as Trump is hated today, maybe even more.  Makes me kind of worried for Trump.  One HUGE misstep, and maybe the same thing will happen to him, God forbid.

Nonsense Rich. Interesting that the book Farewell America is your source. Are you aware of Jim DiEugenio’s assertion that it was propaganda?

1 hour ago, Rich Pope said:

Call me naïve but...I knew JFK was disliked by a lot of people. But after reading some of Farewell America last night, I learned he was hated by everyone. He was hated by poor blacks, blue collar workers, almost everyone in government, the military, almost everyone in business, academia, women...

Oh sure. That's why the following two facts existed after JFK's death---because "everyone" hated him so much.... Eyeroll-Icon-Blogspot.gif

"In a large-sample national poll in March of 1964...an astonishing 53 percent of those interviewed said they had wept when they heard the news of Kennedy's death (New York Times, March 7, 1964, p.11). This percentage is remarkable by itself, and becomes even more so when you factor in the number of people who, though grieving as much, cannot bring tears to their eyes."

[...]

"With respect to President Kennedy's grave site, in 1962, the year before Kennedy was assassinated, one million people visited Arlington National Cemetery. During the six months following the assassination, NINE million came."

-- Vincent Bugliosi; Pages 142 and 1504 of "Reclaiming History"

Edited by David Von Pein

As a young adult during JFK's presidency, I was aware that he was controversial to some people because of his youth and his being a Catholic.  But I was studying in the UK at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis and was shocked to find how much antipathy there was for him there at that time.  I do think now that it is fair to say that JFK evoked strong emotions in many people -- you either loved him or hated him.  

Edited by Pamela Brown

56 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Nonsense Rich. Interesting that the book Farewell America is your source. Are you aware of Jim DiEugenio’s assertion that it was propaganda?

Paul,

No, I'm not aware of Jim's assertion. I trust Jim's knowledge above all else, so if he says that particular book is propaganda, I believe it, no questions asked. I do know that some people/groups were unhappy with JFK.  I always thought that in general, he was very popular. and after reading your reply, I found online that his approval rating was through the roof.  Again, thanks for your help, Paul.  I greatly appreciate it.  As a side note...since you're a violinist, have you seen the Hulu special "Strad Style"?  This country bumpkin who doesn't have two cents to rub together makes an exact copy of Del Gesu's "The Cannon" violin for an up and coming star.  The maker has no formal training and no real workshop.  It's an interesting documentary.

Rich 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

As a young adult during JFK's presidency, I was aware that he was controversial to some people because of his youth and his being a Catholic.  But I was studying in the UK at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis and was shocked to find how much antipathy there was for him there at that time.  I do think now that it is fair to say that JFK evoked strong emotions in many people -- you either loved him or hated him.  

Pamela,

Thanks for your post.  

Rich

27 minutes ago, John Kozlowski said:

Glad you brought this up. Ive never heard this anywhere except that book

John,

Apparently the book over exaggerates the issue.  JFK's approval ratings while he was president were astronomical.  Maybe with the general public he was widely popular, but with certain groups he was very unpopular.

Rich 

10 hours ago, Rich Pope said:

Pamela,

Thanks for your post.  

Rich

You're welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, Paul Brancato said:

Why? 

It's a bit doubtful to assert (as Farewell America does) that JFK was hated by poor blacks, academics and women.  That means about as much as this:

JFK --

Never knew how much they hated you

They shot you and they will shoot us, too

Oh, I believe in JFK

-- Paul McCartney

Edited by David Andrews

So Paul McCartney wanted to do the sound track for Rush to Judgement.  Wow.

"I would like to write a musical score for you".

"One day my children are going to ask me what I did with my life, and I can't just answer I was a Beatle".

https://www.beatlesbible.com/forum/paul-mccartney/paul-mccartney-jfk-conspiracy-theorist/

full screen, full volume on next

https://www.bing.com/search?q=beatles+revolution&form=PRUSEN&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&refig=8b8f4b56e3564622ba2fd2fea00e0e56&sp=-1&pq=beatles+revolution&sc=8-18&qs=n&sk=&cvid=8b8f4b56e3564622ba2fd2fea00e0e56

Breaking down American society's feelings towards JFK as president up until his death is a fascinating study in demographics.

My personal looking back memories of what I saw, heard and read regards these feelings by adults of all ages during JFK's presidency (albeit as a preteen adolescent in our less than large metropolis in liberal California )  were that certain demographic groups in particular had strong positive feelings about JFK and for different reasons.

I remember Catholics ( our community had so many large working class Catholic families and whom I knew and interacted with ) being elated and enamored with fellow Catholic JFK. 

We also had a noticeable black community due to our next door proximity to a huge army basic training base ( Fort Ord, Ca.) where several thousands of black army personnel ( most originally from the South ) decided to move their families and themselves here permanently during and after their service time at Fort Ord starting in the fifties. My memory of their initial sentiment toward JFK was one of cautious optimism more so than instant adoration.

However, as JFK's term progressed, I sensed they became very hopeful that here was a president who finally and sincerely cared about their status in society in a serious and sympathetic way more so than any other president they knew.  JFK's and RFK's boldly and firmly standing up to segregationist Southern Governors during the first school integration efforts in the South, to the point of sending troops to defend black students there, greatly enhanced their JFK admiring sentiments imo.

If blacks were ambivalent regards JFK when he was first elected they were much less so by 11,22,1963.

I also sensed that a majority of women of all ages became enamored by JFK during his 3 year term.

I think this was as much due to a visceral physical attraction reaction as much as any policy agreeing reaction.  I think JFK's and Jackie's unprecedented mass media love fest coverage ( including mostly women orientated magazines ) portraying them as the most virile and beautiful couple in America evolved into an almost cult like phenomena.

JFK and Jackie were clearly the most attractive and glamorous couple versus any other celebrity couple in America and even around the world!  Liz and Dick and so many other previously famous couples couldn't compare to their world wide appeal.

Young Americans ( a majority of our population due to the baby boom after WWII ) were drawn to JFK's more youthful athleticism energy after decades of older grandfather types in this office.  I am sure that the majority of young Americans had become very enamored with JFK in this way during his 3 year term.

One huge dynamic however more than any other superceded these positive JFK sentiments among even these demographic groups, except for the black American community, and that is racial segregation.

Just as today, it seemed half our society back then used this issue as their number one determinant in evaluating who they liked and respected versus the opposite.

And JFK and RFK were considered the antithesis to their beliefs to a hateful degree.

But the real JFK and RFK haters, and who had the power and commitment to do something about them and their growing political and popular influence, were those individuals and groups who felt the two brothers were a threat to their vast wealth and power.

All of them corrupt.

JFK'S ever growing popular appeal ( and later RFK's) could not save them against the dark and more powerful groups and individuals in this part of our society.

Edited by Joe Bauer