The Education Forum

Is James McCord Dead?

I don't want to get off subject here but have to wonder, if McCord, Phillips and Hunt were "not" retired at the time of Watergate, was Allen Dulles fully retired at the time of the JFK assassination?  Even though he'd been fired by JFK?  I should probably defer to whatever David Talbot might think on the subject. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I don't want to get off subject here but have to wonder, if McCord, Phillips and Hunt were "not" retired at the time of Watergate, was Allen Dulles fully retired at the time of the JFK assassination?  Even though he'd been fired by JFK?  I should probably defer to whatever David Talbot might think on the subject. 

As I recall, from The Devil's Chessboard, Allen Dulles continued to meet regularly with his "Secret Team" members after he had been fired as CIA Director.  And, as I recall, he was at "the Farm" at Langley on November 22, 1963.

On 3/13/2019 at 7:21 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Jim Hougan's book on Watergate, Secret Agenda, was a game changer.

His book "Spooks" was also phenomenal.

1 hour ago, Rob Couteau said:

Bob, I agree, Spooks is also a great book. Packed with intriguing leads and information.

Was the first book I read that made me interested about the topic. In fact I almost bought a Mac 10 after I read about them in the book but eventually ended up with an Uzi. I was going to work for Detonics at the time (ended up elsewhere tho) and, well let's say I had different hobbies then. I found his research on Werbell and the audio guy whose name escapes me was really interesting.

Edited by Bob Ness

Yes, Bernard Spindel. Also lots of stuff on Maheu in there, and Vesco. And Howard Hughes. What a cast of characters! It's been decades since I read it, but it left a lasting impression. I stumbled upon Hougan's work accidentally, I just happened to spot a used copy of his Watergate text in an English-language bookshop in Paris one day and bought it. And that led me to Spooks. I'm glad to see he has an active website now. PS: Checking the index now, and I see that McCord is mentioned in passing on five different pages.

Edited by Rob Couteau

4 hours ago, Rob Couteau said:

Yes, Bernard Spindel. Also lots of stuff on Maheu in there, and Vesco. And Howard Hughes. What a cast of characters! It's been decades since I read it, but it left a lasting impression. I stumbled upon Hougan's work accidentally, I just happened to spot a used copy of his Watergate text in an English-language bookshop in Paris one day and bought it. And that led me to Spooks. I'm glad to see he has an active website now. PS: Checking the index now, and I see that McCord is mentioned in passing on five different pages.

Bernard Spindel. Good memory. He was supposedly the inspiration for Gene Hackman's character in "The Conversation". Years later I met Hackman on a shoot I was visiting but never asked him about that (kickself!). My brother gave me the book to read. Quite illuminating. Did anyone ever questioned Spindel about that time period while he was alive? Supposedly all sorts of people thought Spindel had the goods to take down a lot of power players and may have kept insurance around for his family. Would be interesting.

Edited by Bob Ness

Well, the parents match. Plus we have about four sources now.

The only discrepancy is the DOB.  But that seems to be because in some entries it is given as January and some in June.

Recall that Carl McNabb (former CIA JM/WAVE) stated that McCord  had the nickname “Zap Man” and that he had allegedly killed Hoover.  There exists a released JM/WAVE file with the notation "Zap Man" ... when asked what that meant, McNabb said that an officer told him this was the term given to Richard Helm's private assassin. 

Annville is a pretty little rural Pennsylvania town (population 5,000) in Mennonite farm country, not far from Hershey and Harrisburg, and is home to Lebanon Valley College.  The NCAA Division III school is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, is nicknamed "the Flying Dutchmen" and has a unique "four year graduation guarantee" (i.e. free tuition/books to finish).  The school is known for athletic training/physical therapy and speech-language pathology programs.   

Annville PA is certainly well off the beaten track, and a good place to lie low and live anonymously. 

16 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

The only discrepancy is the DOB

I found this on ancestry.com, which lists DOB as 26 Jan. This is under the collection "U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947." Note employer.

Name: James Walter McCord
Race: White
Relationship to Draftee: Self (Head)
Birth Date: 26 Jan 1924
Birth Place: Waurika, Oklahoma, USA
Residence Place: Washington, District of Columbia, USA
Registration Date: 1942
Employer: Dr D M Ladd - F B I
Weight: 160
Complexion: Light
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Brown
Height: 5 11
Next of Kin: J W Mccord

McCord worked for the FBI before he worked for the CIA, which was after he got out of college. And that was briefly.

Maybe he worked for them in  Annville?

Edited by James DiEugenio

That's a very interesting idea. I just telephoned a couple of churches in Annville to see if they had any funeral records or inside info, but there are so many damned churches in that small town it's mind boggling.  Any idea whether his family was Methodist, Lutheran, etc? Also spoke with the clerk at Indiantown Gap National Cemetery, who said this McCord was a 2nd Lieutenant in Army, but he had no additional info.  I found this on "truepeople search (link below). Scroll down for all his prior addresses:

James Walter McCord Jr Age 95

Phone Numbers
(610) 689-8276 - Landline
(717) 656-4452 - Landline
(520) 214-9661 - Landline
Email Addresses
jm007@windstream.net
jmccord07@epix.net
jimccord@infomagic.com
View All Email Adddresses

Associated Names

:

https://www.truepeoplesearch.com/results?name=James Mccord&citystatezip=Leola PA&agerange=95-95&rid=0x0