The Education Forum

Mark Zaid, JFK and Trump

James DiEugenio

30 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I get it.

The mortality rate is 2.3% in confirmed cases.

The mortality rate is 1.4% in confirmed cases plus (diagnosed, suspected, asymptomatic - per article.)

That is still below the 10X the flu fatality rate number the media blasted out yesterday.

In China, 52% of the men smoke tobacco vs. 15.6% in the US (not sure if apples to oranges in case vaping is a different category.) I did not include women. In China only 2.4% of women smoke; in USA it is about 13.4%.)

So, the 2.3% mortality rate includes a significantly higher number of smokers than in the U.S.

In order to make an apples to apples fatality extrapolation for the US population from the Chinese data, adjusting for smoking rates seems prudent. (Other environmental factors probably come in to play, like overall air quality (China has many issues with Industrial air pollution.)

I get what you're saying re MSM and their need to ramp stories up to sell ads. That's a fair accusation and a lot of people discount the news. But adults should be able to parse that and act accordingly.

The numbers won't be clear until after the fact most likely but they're being provided to try to help people visualize the threat. The big problem of course is if the health pros are over run, a very real risk I can assure you. My SO is one and we're very worried, for good reason.

I believe we live longer though... That would make a difference.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/march-madness-canceled-ncaa-tournament_n_5e69a1c5c5b6747ef116f368

There goes March madness.

Between the NBA and this, you are talking billions in lost revenue.

Edited by James DiEugenio

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

William, that really is a  story.

What I think is happening is that banks are paying out higher interest rates on CD's, while the T bonds have gone much lower.  So the Fed is trying to make up the difference.

Is that how you see this?

In essence, yes.  It's a liquidity crisis in the $15 trillion off-the-run T-bond market.

I think what is happening is that everyone is panicking and fleeing to cash, so bond dealers are having trouble liquidating their off-the-run T-bonds.

It's weird, because these T-bonds have typically been viewed as a safe haven when the stock markets crash, as has gold.  (Gold was down 4.4% today!)

It would be good to hear from Robert Wheeler, the Wall Street guy, on this one.

What is happening now with stocks, bonds, and commodities makes no sense.

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

In other JFKA related news: Stopped by Brian's today. He's excited about your and Oliver's show!

Yay! I can't wait!

And no he didn't show me anything and I didn't ask hahaha. Except a frozen frame on the monitor.

Maybe you can school Robert up on small world's hahaha! He's my neighbor up north. Known each other since Smoke Signals. Please don't say where if you know.

He and his wife are great btw. I talked you up although I know you don't need that.

Edited by Bob Ness

To those not in the loop, Bob is talking about Brian Berdan, one of our editors on the film.

He did not know much about the case all those months ago, but he can hold his own today.

BTW, Biden's speech was not bad for a guy who has all the earmarks of old age syndrome.  But I had to laugh at this.

He added: "I'll always tell you the truth." 🤨

The fifth biggest DJIA loss in history.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/futures-are-steady-wednesday-night-after-dow-closes-in-bear-market-traders-await-trump.html

Am I correct in this: the DJIA has lost  just about all of its gains since Trump became president?

Trump's speech  did not say or do enough to reassure anyone that the end is in sight. Kushner laid another egg. Trump must really love his daughter because Jared is joining the ranks of Kissinger and Walt Rostow as to lousy advisors. 

Disneyland closed today.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/futures-are-steady-wednesday-night-after-dow-closes-in-bear-market-traders-await-trump.html

Am I correct in this: the DJIA has lost  just about all of its gains since Trump became president?

Trump's speech  did not say or do enough to reassure anyone that the end is in sight. Kushner laid another egg. Trump must really love his daughter because Jared is joining the ranks of Kissinger and Walt Rostow as to lousy advisors. 

Disneyland closed today.

David Muir reported on ABC National News tonight that the Dow now stands at what it was in April 2017, about the third month into Trump's presidency. Remember about  two weeks ago when Trump boasted that the Dow was something he knew a lot about? Maybe someone should ask him now how much lower the Dow will go.

Disneyland closed today.

Correct.  The Dow Jones was at about 21,000 in January of 2017 when Trump was inaugurated.

It's back down to about 21,000 tonight.

Annual U.S. GDP growth has been less than 3% during the past three years of Trump's presidency-- not terrible, but not robust enough to justify the sky-rocketing prices of stocks we have witnessed during the past three years.

Coronavirus was the needle that popped the Trump Stock Bubble.

Dead right about Porter Kathy.  Incredible it took this long to get the idea of free testing across.

Two big school districts closed today.  See, if Trump had been ahead of the curve instead of behind it, he should have had major school districts test kids on campus.  I would have even extended it to universities and colleges.  And I would have talked to lawyers to see if I could make it mandatory.

Even Fox News has changed its tune.  That is how much of an adjunct they are to the WH.  Last night Ingraham was at war with the MSM and invoking FDR's "we have nothing to fear but fear itself." 😁

Pence and Kudlow talk to Trump and things change.  They will change even more after that ineffective speech.

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Disneyland closed today.

The US stock market has now wiped out the entire $11.5 trillion of value it gained since Trump's 2016 election victory

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/stock-market-outlook-2016-trump-win-gains-erased-coronavirus-risks-2020-3-1028991585?fbclid=iwar1qmqgrzmmwqlbypuvzla_hgtfqgj8hanjmrycrshtepo7dnufeiasy0aw

Robert:

How can you prove a relationship between those two factors?

14 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I guess everyone is out buying toilet paper.

I bought a 24 pack about a week ago.  It's cheaper by the roll that way.  Though with the marketing it can be confusing.  Is a double roll really a double roll?  It doesn't look twice as big.  Glad I did.  The shelves are empty.  Enough to last us well over a month normally.   I bought a case of bourbon today, 10% off at the cheapest place in miles.  I should run out of TP well before bourbon.  If worst comes to worst I can use pages out of those Noam Chomsky books I bought out of ignorance and frustration the day after the last presidential election.  Though I'll have to dig them out of the boxes of books to be disposed of first.

'I don’t want to use the b-word’: Trump aides race to rescue the economy

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/12/trump-coronavirus-economy-127679?fbclid=IwAR0KvXcC4cQRsVw6hrq_Bj__sLvIQORgTzd2R54WVwbBGTUEVU0s9-k1zXI

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Famed astrologer Ray Grasse wrote on Facebook today:

It'll be interesting to see how the conservative philosophy of "It's every man for himself!"/"We need smaller government"/I've got mine, screw you!" works out these next few months.