The Education Forum

Mark Zaid, JFK and Trump

James DiEugenio

THE TRUMP PRESIDENCY IS OVER

From the article: Donald Trump is shrinking before our eyes.

The coronavirus is quite likely to be the Trump presidency’s inflection point, when everything changed, when the bluster and ignorance and shallowness of America’s 45th president became undeniable, an empirical reality, as indisputable as the laws of science or a mathematical equation.

It has taken a good deal longer than it should have, but Americans have now seen the con man behind the curtain. The president, enraged for having been unmasked, will become more desperate, more embittered, more unhinged. He knows nothing will be the same. His administration may stagger on, but it will be only a hollow shell. The Trump presidency is over.

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/607969/?fbclid=IwAR3DH_-MAyih0RA-i27Gx-rT6_gG_FB4GXBpuGqz8Runpt846O9tJj9f4MQ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like that guy from The Atlantic, but its a really compelling case of how Trump laid a giant egg.

Bob:

Where did you get your degree in epidemiology?

Meanwhile, so he does not feel picked on:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/04/joe-biden-electable-trump-2020-election?fbclid=IwAR2ihv3xaGab0YDB2x89PnGPcx0RmfftOFuXY2YRj1e_92Bd7SYYnS78IYI

I would have agreed with the above before the last six weeks.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Read to the bottom. 9 states close all K-12 schools.  22 million students.  Big ripple effect.  Parents finding care or staying home to do so, loss of income.  Teachers, staff, administrators, will they continue to get paid?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-illinois-virginia-and-washington-close-schools-for-coronavirus/ar-BB11a92W?li=BBnb7Kz

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

But William, even so, sometimes you do things you don't really wish to do because its the right thing to do.

Because if you do not--in the Albert Camus sense--it will allow something worse to happen.

You would have thought one would have called the other and said: Whatever differences we have with Bernie, Biden will be the DNC all over again.

Now, that looks like the case.  Repeat:  I have lost some respect for both of them.

Speaking of Camus, I think it's time to re-read The Plague.

As for Elizabeth Warren, when she declined to endorse Bernie, I was genuinely surprised.  Does she know something that we don't?

I trust her commitment to the humanity, so I began to wonder if she has doubts about Bernie's ability get things done.  Or that he can't beat Trump?

3 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Bob:

Where did you get your degree in epidemiology?

You mean Robert?

I graduated my senior year in high school with a D minus average.

I cheated to get that (thanks Sparky).

LOL, no the Wall Street Robert.

Speaking of The Plague,  I had been staying home the last couple of days for reasons familiar to most of you.

Tonight I went out to the gym first, and then to buy some groceries.

When I got to the gym, there were maybe two people there.  Usually at that time there are about 15.

When I went shopping, it got worse.  I first went to Target.  I wanted to get some frozen vegetables.  They did not have one single package in the cooler.  But beyond that, i exaggerate very little when I say 2/3 of  the shelves for perishables were completely empty.  There was a lady there and she said they sold about 100K worth of perishables in one day.  And that is not even their specialty. 

I then went to Wal mart since its in the same plaza.  Same thing, nada -----empty shelves.  I asked the guy, did you sell a million dollars worth of stuff today?  He said, easily.  They usually do 2.3 million on a Friday through Sunday.  He said they will smash that median this weekend.  

I then went to another Target, my Twilight Zone experience  continued--this one had closed early.

Finally I went to a Ralph's.  They were also half empty, but they had what I wanted because a guy was working overtime stocking shelves. I said to him, you're fighting a losing battle.  He said, you should have been here last night.

This is sort of like the movie On the Beach.  Its the biggest public health/safety screw up since Katrina. Maybe worse since its nationwide.  Except there is no Mike Brown to dump it on. (Although they did try Azar.). Trump is really naive to keep on relying on Kushner and Miller in this situation.  They should both be fired for that misbegotten speech, which reassured no one.  Instead it caused panic.  This is the danger you run with someone who has no government experience and does not call in a special master in the field to advise and help run things.

PS:  William I was actually referring to The Stranger.

Edited by James DiEugenio

9 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Epidemiology?
It’s high school level math and knowing smoking is bad for you.

It shortens the average life expectancy by 10 years.

It kind of matters if a large percentage of those that died were already way past their expiration date.

Hitler called them “Eaters.”

Nobody knows the impact this will have on young people, or how it might mutate. A week ago we didn’t even know it aerosoloized.

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Trump is really naive to keep on relying on Kushner and Miller in this situation.

Jim,

I think that "naive" is an awfully mild word to use for Trump. I continue to get the impression that you don't think Trump is mentally ill. Well, what do I know, but you may want to ask Dr. Niederhut.

1 hour ago, Ron Ecker said:

Jim,

I think that "naive" is an awfully mild word to use for Trump. I continue to get the impression that you don't think Trump is mentally ill. Well, what do I know, but you may want to ask Dr. Niederhut.

Naïveté relieves the syphilitic, drug-addled, criminal  moron of responsibility.

On 3/10/2020 at 6:40 PM, Douglas Caddy said:

Andrew: You posted the following inside my post which will falsely be interpreted that I said it: Do court rulings mean anything more? It's not like they are actually going to get to see it.

If you reply to a member's post it should be done in the open space underneath the member's quote like I am doing now. That way it is clear that it is your statement and not the member's..

Thanks. My apologies. It was unintentional.

2 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Andrew -

You have to use words like "Hitler" with a little more tact and consideration for your fellow forum members and guests that might be listening in.

Screaming "Hitler" in a crowded Internet forum can be dangerous. If not dangerous, then it is at least bad form.

I understand you are just trying to be heard, but style and form matter.

I don’t feel in this case it’s as offensive as shrugging off a pandemic because the people who are dying are elderly. They are our parents, grandparents and presidential candidates.