The Education Forum

Lee Harvey Oswald Last Paycheck is Up for Grabs ...

Made out to "Mr. Lee Harvey Oswald."  How frequently we hear that the triple-naming of LHO in the media started a craze for listing all three names of notorious felons: John Wayne Gacy, Mark David Chapman, et al.  Were Oswald's previous paychecks made out to "Mr. Lee Harvey Oswald," or is this check, dated Tuesday, December 3, 1963 (not the traditional Friday payday), a sardonic reference to his publicity, including the title "Mr."?

I have to agree with David Andrews about the alleged Oswald paycheck. In 75 years, I have never had a paycheck made out to me using my middle name. Has anyone else? I have often been asked questions about "Lee Harvey Oswald" and I normally ask, "Do you mean Lee Oswald?" That's what we called him in the DA's office. I doubt that the accountant for the TSBD was holding back Oswald's pay for Friday, though it says in the report I read that his check was for 4 days work. Was it because he failed to move the boxes to which he was assigned or did they feel he wasn't entitled to the Friday pay because he left early? I am also concerned to know how the payroll clerk missed the news of what happened at the TSBD, on Friday, November 22nd. It was widely covered in the press.

Its not that uncommon for companies to pay people who have passed away. It is usually given to their families, especially when its a spouse. The person did do the work/time, so they do get paid.

1 hour ago, Steve Jaffe said:

I doubt that the accountant for the TSBD was holding back Oswald's pay for Friday, though it says in the report I read that his check was for 4 days work. Was it because he failed to move the boxes to which he was assigned or did they feel he wasn't entitled to the Friday pay because he left early?

It was because he didn't move any boxes on the sixth floor on Friday.😎

25 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

It was because he didn't move any boxes on the sixth floor on Friday.😎

I'd go with Steve's other option.  They only paid (Marina ultimately?) for four days because he and only he, no one else (!) left early.  He didn't tell his supervisor he was leaving early.  Did he punch out on a time clock?  I never remember reading about a time card.  Maybe the payroll clerk thought he wasn't there for the whole day!  

In fact, I never read about a time clock. But I definitely read where Oswald left in the middle of the day to go to the movies! 
We even spoke to several witnesses who saw him leave, one who said he even got a ride from Jack Ruby.

Edited by Steve Jaffe
clarity

3 hours ago, S.T. Patrick said:

Its not that uncommon for companies to pay people who have passed away. It is usually given to their families, especially when its a spouse. The person did do the work/time, so they do get paid.

The more important question is why they used his middle name. Was this common for employees of the TSBD?

Marie Tippit complained that the DPD stopped her husband's

pay effective at 1:30 p.m. November 22, 1963. That was

the time the DPD Homicide Report against Oswald in the Tippit

shooting listed for the officer being pronounced dead at Methodist Hospital, although two

other official documents have Tippit pronounced dead at 1:15.

Edited by Joseph McBride

5 hours ago, Steve Jaffe said:

In fact, I never read about a time clock. But I definitely read where Oswald left in the middle of the day to go to the movies! 
We even spoke to several witnesses who saw him leave, one who said he even got a ride from Jack Ruby.

Really.

Could you name some of these witnesses and share what they said?

Any of them taken seriously?

Just a little comment on the name....us "southerners" (especially back then) do use two names,  both men and women.  Especially so when legal or employment documents are concerned - I have paperwork for Larry Hancock, Joe Hancock, and Larry Joe Hancock.  If Oswald went into the paybooks as Lee Harvey Oswald he likely got paid that way, as for myself yes I have often received paychecks in my full name as Larry Joe Hancock. 

The key would be to find how Oswald was listed on his employment form and in the pay books.

There's another auction on the same website with a high school yearbook connected to LHO as a school which he attended and was apparently signed by Jim Leavelle.  Also in the same lot --

"Sold together with a metal key to Room 850 at the Texas Hotel in Ft. Worth. This was the room that the President & Mrs. Kennedy stayed in during their visit to Texas; however, it appears to predate the 1963 event."

On 1/28/2020 at 3:12 AM, Joe Bauer said:

Really.

Could you name some of these witnesses and share what they said?

Any of them taken seriously?

Joe: Julia Ann Mercer, Roger Craig. We definitely took them seriously. Both gave statements under penalty of perjury. Both were extremely detailed in describing what they witnessed. Both were ignored by the Warren Commission.