The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

7 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

50 cents to send a letter across the country never ceases to amaze me.

Not only that, but you can consider it safe and secure with little regard that whatever you wrote or placed inside will arrive at its destination without having been read, scanned or in any way reproduced or transmitted to others.  (Unless, of course, you are being monitored because a court has found reason that you or the recipient are participating in some illegal scheme.  Even then, most of the time only the outside of the envelopes are copied to create timely records of the correspondence between the individuals/entities.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your just sitting there wondering when.  Then no boom boom.  But out go the lights, the heat, tv, water, stove, microwave.  I kind of understand the anger in the song, though it doesn't justify the violence.  Mick Jagger's harmonica hero.

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I'm truly sorry, Ron, to hear about what your family and many people in Texas (including my in-laws) are experiencing this week.  I read that El Paso and parts of the Texas Panhandle that are on the national (Western) grid have not suffered from the statewide power outages.

What really sticks in my craw is the way that Governor Greg Abbot, Rick Perry, John Cornyn, Fox News, and the oil industry have tried to blame the utility failures in Texas on windmills.  What a crock.

How many more historic failures of deregulated, laissez faire capitalism will it take for American citizens to finally realize that there is no "invisible hand" optimizing the public good, in the absence of rational governance?

I believe in free market capitalism, but not without appropriate regulation in the public interest.

Utilities are a classic example.  (So is healthcare.)

Avoidance of appropriate regulation in the public interest is exactly what caused this imho.

This song has been on my mind the last few day's.  For my fellow Texan's of all colors and faith's.

Ron,I've always thought your governor was a douche bag. It was just a feeling, so I felt like who am I to opine, it is your state and you are an informed citizen and I'm not. 

Have you heard his  denials , to Texas citizens, he's blaming it on logistics breaking down for natural gas, but when he goes on Fox News, he's blaming iti on AOC and the "Green New Deal, even though wind power is only 10% of your energy output and talks his Bible of big oil, because that's where his buddies have always made the most profit..

We in California got screwed by, was it Enron price fixers, 15 years ago, we paid exorbitant prices for energy that made it  possible the recall of the Governor and the  eventually  installation  of the terminator for a mediocre 1 term.

Vital industries such as energy and home heating have to have greater regulation and the citizens shouldn't  be mislead that they are better off with a system whose main attribute is greater profits for the already wealthy.

It might run into a second segment with Beto.

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/-brazen-lie-chris-hayes-calls-out-gov-abbott-fox-news-for-texas-power-grid-lies-101204037611

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

12 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Ron,I've always thought your governor was a douche bag. It was just a feeling, so I felt like who am I to opine, it is your state and you are an informed citizen and I'm not. 

Have you heard his  denials , to Texas citizens, he's blaming it on logistics breaking down for natural gas, but when he goes on Fox News, he's blaming iti on AOC and the "Green New Deal, even though wind power is only 10% of your energy output and talks his Bible of big oil, because that's where his buddies have always made the most profit..

We in California got screwed by, was it Enron price fixers, 15 years ago, we paid exorbitant prices for energy that made it  possible the recall of the Governor and the  eventually  installation  of the terminator for a mediocre 1 term.

Vital industries such as energy and home heating have to have greater regulation and the citizens shouldn't  be mislead that they are better off with a system whose main attribute is greater profits for the already wealthy.

It might run into a second segment with Beto.

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/-brazen-lie-chris-hayes-calls-out-gov-abbott-fox-news-for-texas-power-grid-lies-101204037611

I saw this once this morning then it disappeared though I didn't look for it last night after you posted it.  Chris Hayes does an excellent job calling out Abbott.

Another of our fearless leaders is back in the news this morning.  If Cruz want's to see a bigger hypocrite than the California Governor he should look in the mirror.  Kind of a reversal of if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.  If you can't stand the cold, fly to Cancun.

Senator Ted Cruz left Texas for Cancún as the state was battered by a brutal winter storm. (msn.com)

Our leaders, from Bush to Perry, Abbott, Cruz, Paxton and more make me think of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.  We are not worthy. 

Steady power for 24 hours now.  Hope I don't jinx it, predicted low of 11 tonight so all faucets still streaming.  The water heater can't keep up, tepid to warm.  Really looking forward to a hot shower.  Spit baths from a pan heated on the stove only go so far.  They said not to use the oven or washing machine to help conserve energy.  I'm on my last pair of fake wool heavier "hunting" socks.  Dirty dishes are stacking up, time to heat water for that if things don't get better tomorrow.  Still better off than many.  Cheated this morning.  After 12 hours of power had biscuits, from the oven.    

Looking for an article I read earlier I came across these.  The other one mentioned more deaths.  Not something the MSM want's to talk about much I guess.

Many Texans have died because of the winter storm. Just how many won’t be known for weeks or months. (ksat.com)

Climate Catastrophe In Texas And The Texans Are Freezing To Death | Countercurrents

At Least 10 People Have Died As Texans Struggle To Stay Warm During Power Outages And A Winter Storm (buzzfeednews.com)

A guy that went out to his truck for an oxygen tank and never made it back in.  Another who froze to death in his recliner inside his house in Abilene. 

The Daily Mail is a sensationalist rag with a penchant for posting bikini pics, (including one of Goldman Sachs "investor" Heidi Cruz in Cancun today) but I have to give them credit for publishing a lot of things that get filtered by the U.S. mainstream media.

Texans see electric bills surge as high as $17,000 after storm knocked out power and caused 300-fold surge in demand: State also faces 'health catastrophe' with 14M struggling for clean water

Home | Daily Mail Online

We had a spreader event a week ago tonight in Stephenville Texas.  I got caught up in traffic but not exposed.

The place where I worked the last 17 years, Tarleton State University, established 1899, founding member of the Texas A&M System in 1917, held it's first ever football game as DI team.  Spring football.  27 at game time with a wind chill of 19, good football weather with snow pending and a blizzard looming.  

Capacity limited to 50 %, less than 1/4 when I drove by 30 minutes before the start.  I could have went for free as a retiree.

Great game. Was on Fox Sports SW, but I no longer support direct TV.  I listened, like olden times.  The Texans lost to McNeese State 40 - 37 in the second overtime.  On a 19 yard run by QB Cody Orgeron, son of LSU National Champion Coach Ed Orgeron, who was there.  As I likely would have been but for covid and the cold.

I guess they left immediately afterwards for Louisiana.  Before the snow, then real cold hit.

43 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

We had a spreader event a week ago tonight in Stephenville Texas.  I got caught up in traffic but not exposed.

The place where I worked the last 17 years, Tarleton State University, established 1899, founding member of the Texas A&M System in 1917, held it's first ever football game as DI team.  Spring football.  27 at game time with a wind chill of 19, good football weather with snow pending and a blizzard looming.  

Capacity limited to 50 %, less than 1/4 when I drove by 30 minutes before the start.  I could have went for free as a retiree.

Great game. Was on Fox Sports SW, but I no longer support direct TV.  I listened, like olden times.  The Texans lost to McNeese State 40 - 37 in the second overtime.  On a 19 yard run by QB Cody Orgeron, son of LSU National Champion Coach Ed Orgeron, who was there.  As I likely would have been but for covid and the cold.

I guess they left immediately afterwards for Louisiana.  Before the snow, then real cold hit.

Ron,

Did you catch the Ed Orgeron interview on 60 Minutes last summer? 

It was a bit of a shocker when he mentioned that many of his football players at LSU had already tested positive for COVID.

14 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

The Daily Mail is a sensationalist rag with a penchant for posting bikini pics, (including one of Goldman Sachs "investor" Heidi Cruz in Cancun today) but I have to give them credit for publishing a lot of things that get filtered by the U.S. mainstream media.

Texans see electric bills surge as high as $17,000 after storm knocked out power and caused 300-fold surge in demand: State also faces 'health catastrophe' with 14M struggling for clean water

Home | Daily Mail Online

I came into a radio show in my car where the host said the price in Texas went from 12 cents per kilowatt hour to $9000!!

Then I came across this article.

The wholesale power price was at the maximum allowable $9,000 a megawatt hour for five days from last Sunday. For a household, that translates to a $9 a kilowatt-hour electricity rate, compared with a typical cost of 12 cents.

Then this comment from Gov. Abott.

Governor Greg Abbott held an emergency meeting on Saturday with senior state officials and legislators to discuss relief for customers hit by spiking bills. “It is unacceptable for Texans who suffered through days in the freezing cold without electricity or heat to now be hit with skyrocketing energy costs,” said Abbot.

Yeah no sh-t Sherlock! He better mitigate it or he's political toast! I'm always amazed how these Republican  Governors when their  cronies completely fleece you then act like they're doing everybody a big favor!

Rick Perry"Texans would willingly go without heat or electricity for days rather than give the federal government any more power...".

Like that Rick Perry comment  that Ron posted, Like for any Lone Star patriot, suffering without heat or electricity is the least they can do for less Federal regulation of his friends! Next he'd be asking  Texas citizens to ante up for the decades of  short sighted policies and neglect of his cronies!

https://www.ft.com/content/0e746280-e72c-4087-9c0d-df2a7af82b77

Hey W. I hope no airline debris fell on your house!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

8 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

I came into a radio show in my car where the host said the price in Texas went from 12 cents per kilowatt hour to $9000!!

Then I came across this article.

The wholesale power price was at the maximum allowable $9,000 a megawatt hour for five days from last Sunday. For a household, that translates to a $9 a kilowatt-hour electricity rate, compared with a typical cost of 12 cents.

Then this comment from Gov. Abott.

Governor Greg Abbott held an emergency meeting on Saturday with senior state officials and legislators to discuss relief for customers hit by spiking bills. “It is unacceptable for Texans who suffered through days in the freezing cold without electricity or heat to now be hit with skyrocketing energy costs,” said Abbot.

Yeah no sh-t Sherlock! He better mitigate it or he's political toast! I'm always amazed how these Republican  Governors when their  cronies completely fleece you then act like they're doing everybody a big favor!

Rick Perry"Texans would willingly go without heat or electricity for days rather than give the federal government any more power...".

Like that Rick Perry comment  that Ron posted, Like for any Lone Star patriot, suffering without heat or electricity is the least they can do for less Federal regulation of his friends! Next he'd be asking  Texas citizens to ante up for the decades of  short sighted policies and neglect of his cronies!

https://www.ft.com/content/0e746280-e72c-4087-9c0d-df2a7af82b77

Hey W. I hope no airline debris fell on your house!

No airline engine parts on my lawn today, Kirk.  Glad I don't live anywhere near Denver International Airport!

As for electrical bills in Texas, the NYT has a headline this morning that reads like something out of the National Enquirer.

His Lights Stayed on During Texas’ Storm. Now He Owes $16,752.

His Lights Stayed on During Texas’ Storm. Now He Owes $16,752. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

I ran the calculator on my electric co's website Thursday after reading my meter.  February's always the highest of the year for us, January was $300, this showed $422.  I was expecting over 500, maybe 600.  Thankful I'm not on one of the variable rate plans.  I'm wondering if what they had to pay last week might raise rates over the next few months.  United Cooperative is a rural electric co. covering a large part of the state with normally some of the lowest rates in it.