The Education Forum

Bob Dylan tackles the Kennedy assassination: Murder Most Foul

18 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

Yes, I agree.  Just surprising, as my roommate and I saved up to go to the coffee houses in the Village and we saw some great people -- Mort Sahl, Dick Gregory, and a number of others. I really wish I had seen Dylan back then too...

I'm NYU 1983.  Lou Reed at the Bottom Line,

Edited by David Andrews

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The subject of folk music back when reminds me of a trio that used to play at a club in St. Augustine around 1960. I forget what they called themselves (it was a gal and two guys like Peter, Paul and Mary), but their signature song was "I'm a-Crackin' Up from a Lack o' Shackin' Up." (I guess it was an original, I don't know.)

On 3/29/2020 at 8:56 PM, David Andrews said:

I'm NYU 1983.  Lou Reed at the Bottom Line,

Nice!  I also saw the guy with the sinking of the Rice Krispies...and I saw James Earl Jones in Baal at the way-off Broadway 'theatre' Martinique, which was so small, he spat on me as I was seated on a bench that constituted the front row!

Edited by Pamela Brown

19 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

Martin Scorsese (who's back making films since the 1960s, BTW) is the one

who made the Dylan documentary mentioned above.

Yes...

2 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

Nice!  I also saw the guy with the sinking of the Rice Krispies...and I saw James Earl Jones in Baal at the way-off Broadway 'theatre' Martinique, which was so small, he spat on me as I was seated on a bench that constituted the front row!

I saw Al Pacino in Richard III at Circle in the Square.

Edited by David Andrews

20 hours ago, David Andrews said:

I saw Al Pacino in Richard III at Circle in the Square.

Impressive!

2 hours ago, David Andrews said:

It was nice to be in the house with Al, but it wasn't a convincing Richard.

Can't picture Al Pacino as Richard III.

"A horse!  A horse, dammit!  My God d*mned kingdom for a f**king horse!!"  🤥

Edited by W. Niederhut

10 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Can't picture Al Pacino as Richard III.

"A horse!  A horse, dammit!  My God d*mned kingdom for a f**king horse!!"  🤥

It was definitely a personal interpretation.  About thirty years later he did it on film, but not quite the way he did in in the early 1980s.

John Simon savaged the show in New York magazine.  That ought to still be kicking around on the 'net - it was one of his most famous put-downs.

After the show we got something to drink and had to walk back past the theater to get home.  People were waiting by the stage door alley for autographs.  Pacino came out, signed a couple programmes, and then got in a Land Rover with some people.  He raised his hand and said, "Hank you!"  I'll never forget how that sounded, in Al-speak and without the Th- sound.  Hank you!

EDIT: Here's the infamous John Simon review:

https://books.google.com/books?id=JdjFy4ez1IMC&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=John+Simon+Al+Pacino+Richard+III&source=bl&ots=O3UaaiYBVi&sig=ACfU3U0vKkqOH4QbNdvqw40_v9n_4nJPAg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj35MiRsMboAhWmlnIEHQ1pB7oQ6AEwAHoECA8QKQ#v=onepage&q=John Simon Al Pacino Richard III&f=false

Hank you!

Edited by David Andrews

That was really funny.  I always liked Simon better as a theater critic than a film critic.  He was really a literary guy.

Let me add something about the actual topic:

I am going to do some revisions to my article.  I never meant it to be comprehensive but some people have taken up where I left off and done some rally nice comments.

On top of that some others have talked to Dylanologists to add other insights.  Its really nice when it gets interactive.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:32 PM, David Andrews said:

It was nice to be in the house with Al, but it wasn't a convincing Richard.

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that...

Here's a listing for the production of Baal, by Berthold Brecht that starred James Earl Jones that I saw at the tiny Martinique Theatre. in 1965..http://www.iobdb.org/production/3607

He was dressed in nothing but a loin cloth. A most amazing presence.  And that voice!  How lucky I was. I had no doubt we would hear of him again.  I was a grad student at NYU, studying modern drama  and our prof insisted that we go -- otherwise, I might never have known about the production.

Edited by Pamela Brown

On 3/31/2020 at 11:28 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Let me add something about the actual topic:

I am going to do some revisions to my article.  I never meant it to be comprehensive but some people have taken up where I left off and done some rally nice comments.

On top of that some others have talked to Dylanologists to add other insights.  Its really nice when it gets interactive.

I always fancied myself a "Dylanologist," but it would be more accurate to say that I was a Dylan impersonator.

When I was in high school and college back in the 70s, my folkster friends and I idolized Bob Dylan, and we used to play a lot of his songs in our folk/blues repertoire.  Anything by Dylan was considered unquestionably cool.  I played guitar and used a Bob Dylan-style harmonica holder.

Since I'm sheltering-in-place today, and my fellow Dylan fans are crawling out of the word work, I just posted another one of my favorite old Bob Dylan cover songs at Soundclick.

This one was written in August of 1963, just three months before JFK was murdered.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14018631