The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

8 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

?????

Cowen: "More than any other time, if you are not on Twitter, you just don’t know what is going on!"

Thank you for that commercial! So you're on the twitter payroll now Ben?

Again, I notice your source. Tyler Cowen..

"Cowen argues that free markets change culture for the better, allowing them to evolve into something more people want."

Sounds like a real globalist! So i guess with Brett Stephens and now Cowen that whole idea of being anti Defense, NSS and anti Globalist thing was just a passing fad for you? I guess I just can't keep up with your changes.

You could ask actual users. I have a twitter account. I accounted here recently that I received a daily story from my twitter feed about sports, and I opened the article up and was greeted with a slough of agitated Glenn Greenwald tweets, and then experienced a number of pop ups from the King himself, Elon Musk. I don't like a stacked deck, and I don't need either of their corporate indoctrinations like you've just posted. Thank you!

And if i understood this right , Mark got greeted by none other than Kyle Rittenhouse on his twitter feed! We accounted this to you. Is this at all significant? Certainly not as much as the latest globalist Musk fanboy you can find on your computer?

Kirk, Kirk, Kirk:

Tyler Cowen is a known personage, and he was making a comment about Twitter, a topic of the day. 

Sometimes I just relate what people are saying, I think they have interesting insights, even if I disagree, or I am neutral on the topic.

I rarely read Twitter.

My sense is employees within the organization, perhaps without Jack Dorsey's knowledge, rigged the system to suppress the Hunter Biden laptop story. 

Greenwald's account of how the Hunter Biden story was suppressed at The Intercept (which he founded) is public record. 

For me, none of this makes valiant Mr Big Bad Orange.

The Twitter-The Intercept skunk, as I always say, another JFKA-type lesson: The media operates in alliance with power. 

When an event happens, you get highly stylized versions of the truth, with gigantic blind spots. 

It is unwise to make proclamations based on M$M or controlled social media coverage. 

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/07/world/europe/putin-russia-ukraine-war.html

Putin Warns Russians to Prepare for Protracted Ukraine War-NYT

Vladimir Putin appeared to acknowledge that subduing Russia’s neighbor was taking longer than expected, but said there was no need for another draft now.

---30---

Looks ugly. Sadly, this war could drag out for years. I doubt the Ukrainians will ever quit, not after seeing cities bombed and losing so many young men. If you want to create solidarity among a people, shoot at 'em. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Horrible. What can worse than people trying to kill each other, instead of productive cooperation? 

Armed Russians in a trench inside of Ukraine? How nice. 

I was halfway sharing it for Matt so he could see what he's missing out on. I thought I'd share it because they sound like they're from England, it's the foreign legionnaires. I feel kind of like Doug Stanhope at the 2:05 mark on that.. 

Edited by Matthew Koch

23 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

John,

I'd, certainly, like to understand that history better.  For example, have the Protestants in Northern Ireland been aligned with the Brits, or with their fellow Catholic Irishmen in Northern Ireland against British rule?  For some reason, I thought the Orange Protestant sectarians in the North were aligned with the British against the Catholics.

When my wife and I traveled from Dublin to Belfast in September of 1990, there was a bomb threat against our train.  I assumed it was made by the IRA, but I didn't really understand the whys and wherefores-- especially since we were traveling through Ireland proper for most of that trek.

William,

Why do you, Bono, numerous Hollywood celebrities and others cheer on armed resistance against the Russian invasion of Ukraine, yet condemn armed resistance against British imperialism in Ireland?  

Edited by John Cotter

36 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

This rightwing hypocrite is on his way to prison where he will end up being some muscled inmate's toy boy. How ironic is that?

'Don't Say Gay' Florida lawmaker indicted on fraud charges (msn.com)

I never understood chortling about prison rape. That is a funny topic? 

12 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

William,

Why do you, Bono, numerous Hollywood celebrities and others cheer on armed resistance against the Russian invasion of Ukraine, yet condemn armed resistance against British imperialism in Ireland?  

John,

The short answer is that I don't fully understand the subject of British imperialism in Ireland and the military resistance of the IRA.   In the U.S., we would mainly hear about IRA bombings of civilian targets back in the day, like Harrod's department store in London.

I am strongly opposed to the bombing of civilians anywhere -- by the U.S.A. (in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.)  and by anyone else, including Putin.  I was, frankly, shocked and appalled when Putin started bombing residential buildings in Ukraine, as I said here on the forum back in March.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:36 AM, Matthew Koch said:

John, it's been awhile since I researched the troubles but I thought it was rather interesting that Ulster division was involved in the occupation of Palestine and the transfer to Israel and the head of the brigade referred to it as something like a middleeastern Ulster. Later after Bloody Friday descendants from the Ulster Division formed the Ulster Brigade as a tribute to the former military brigade to counter the reforming of the IRA, hopefully I didn't butcher that too bad.. 

Matthew, the two articles I've quoted and linked below may be related to that:

One prominent British-Israelist of this period, Pastor Alan Campbell, claimed to be a third-generation adherent. In a Christmas sermon, preached at the Open Bible Fellowship in Cregagh in 1988, Campbell described his vision of Ulster:

‘For far too long we have been made to feel ashamed of our Patriotism and Loyalism, and told we should abandon it all when we are born again. The British-Israel Truth refutes this serious error. Britain is part of God’s vineyard, Ulster is our own Promised Land, peopled by the very seed of Israel planted here as a light in darkest Ireland, and we must occupy until Jesus comes.’

https://www.historyireland.com/loyalism-and-british-israelism/

The article linked below describes the connections between Northern Ireland Protestant paramilitary groups, MI5 and South African intelligence during the apartheid era; it describes their involvement in smuggling arms from SA into NI which were used in the “Dirty War” – the aspect of the NI “Troubles” in which British security forces colluded with Protestant paramilitaries in the murder of Catholics.

https://www.statewatch.org/statewatch-database/ni-mi5-south-africa-and-the-uda/

16 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

Matthew, the two articles I've quoted and linked below may be related to that:

One prominent British-Israelist of this period, Pastor Alan Campbell, claimed to be a third-generation adherent. In a Christmas sermon, preached at the Open Bible Fellowship in Cregagh in 1988, Campbell described his vision of Ulster:

‘For far too long we have been made to feel ashamed of our Patriotism and Loyalism, and told we should abandon it all when we are born again. The British-Israel Truth refutes this serious error. Britain is part of God’s vineyard, Ulster is our own Promised Land, peopled by the very seed of Israel planted here as a light in darkest Ireland, and we must occupy until Jesus comes.’

https://www.historyireland.com/loyalism-and-british-israelism/

The article linked below describes the connections between Northern Ireland Protestant paramilitary groups, MI5 and South African intelligence during the apartheid era; it describes their involvement in smuggling arms from SA into NI which were used in the “Dirty War” – the aspect of the NI “Troubles” in which British security forces colluded with Protestant paramilitaries in the murder of Catholics.

https://www.statewatch.org/statewatch-database/ni-mi5-south-africa-and-the-uda/

John, thank you I really find this stuff interesting, I've got a external somewhere with a bunch of 80's and 90's documentaries on the topic that have Enya as the sound track. 

53 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

John,

The short answer is that I don't fully understand the subject of British imperialism in Ireland and the military resistance of the IRA.   In the U.S., we would mainly hear about IRA bombings of civilian targets back in the day, like Harrod's department store in London.

I am strongly opposed to the bombing of civilians anywhere -- by the U.S.A. (in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.)  and by anyone else, including Putin.  I was, frankly, shocked and appalled when Putin started bombing residential buildings in Ukraine, as I said here on the forum back in March.

William,

In the case of Northern Ireland, you profess ignorance and yet cast judgment.

In the case of Ukraine, you choose to believe the propaganda of one side in the conflict and ignore the other.

Do you think that’s good enough?

14 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

William,

In the case of Northern Ireland, you profess ignorance and yet cast judgment.

In the case of Ukraine, you choose to believe the propaganda of one side in the conflict and ignore the other.

Do you think that’s good enough?

Not quite correct, John.

If you read what I wrote, my negative "judgment" is mainly about the sectarian violence (depicted in Kenneth Branagh's autobiographical film, Belfast) and the IRA's civilian bombings-- as in the case of the Harrods department store bombing.  In his memoir, Surrender, Bono also described narrowly avoiding a deadly IRA bomb attack in Dublin when he was a teenager. 

And, as I mentioned, (above) there was a bomb threat against the train that my wife and I rode from Dublin to Belfast in September of 1990-- an Irish train on Irish soil!  It was puzzling to me at the time.  Why were they threatening to bomb an Irish train with civilian passengers?  (I didn't know if the guys making the threats were IRA partisans or Protestants from Northern Ireland.)

So, I haven't passed judgment on the movement for Irish independence, per se, but on violence against civilians.

As for U2, I never realized that Bono had been denounced by Gerry Adams and the IRA until I read his memoir recently, along with your commentaries about U2 and Irish sentiment toward the band.

As for the Russian Federation, I have followed its history with considerable interest, since I have been a member of the Russian Orthodox Church for the past quarter century, a Russophile.

The evidence of Russian bombing of civilian targets in Ukraine has been quite convincing, IMO -- well-documented by photographs and videos.  The first thing I posted about it here on the forum last March was about the bombing of a residential apartment building in Kyiv.  I was shocked and appalled.

Do you doubt the evidence of Russian war crimes in Ukraine?