The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

15 hours ago, John Cotter said:

Kirk,

I see a lot of emotion and very little, if any, sense or logic in your above post.

For example, I’ve already rebutted your strawman response to my post about the Biden-Kelensky photo-shoot, but you’ve ignored my rebuttal and gone straw-manning again.

Regarding the gullibility of the masses, one book about that is Thinking, Fast and Slow by Nobel Prize winner Daniel Kahnemann. The gist of the book is that most people are irrational most of the time and are too frazzled by our manic western culture – not to mention the manipulation, gaslighting and scaremongering that have increasingly become default government stratagems – to think properly about anything.

Kahnemann explains that in this frazzled state people use what he calls “System 1” thinking, which is reactive and emotional, rather than “System 2” thinking, which is logical and effortful. On page 85 he writes “System 1 is gullible and biased to believe”. He cites numerous experiments illustrating this phenomenon.

Any reasonably intelligent person shouldn’t need to read Kahneman’s book to see this for themselves. Even a cursory review of history shows that at any given time most people’s beliefs and behaviour are dictated not by their own independent reasoning but by majority groupthink. Why else do social norms change from time to time?

Why for example did the majority once think there was nothing wrong with slavery, the subjugation of women, homophobia or corporal punishment in school? Obviously because most people don’t think for themselves and instead stick with the herd.

Why does my citing this simple self-evident fact upset you so much?

An addendum to my post:

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

54 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

I wonder if any of the most fervent anti-Russian jingoists here have ever lived and worked outside the USA for a significant period of time.

You’re making a valid point here, John. 

11 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

May be a cartoon

If Jesus is Woke Douglas, than why does the Biden FBI consider Traditional Catholics that attend Latin Mass and pray the rosary are extremists? In what way is Jesus Woke? 

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/252038/the-atlantic-publishes-article-on-the-rosary-as-a-symbol-of-far-right-violent-extremism

‘The Atlantic’ publishes article on the rosary as symbol of far-right, violent extremism

An article published Sunday in The Atlantic magazine suggests the rosary has become a symbol of violent, right-wing extremism in the United States.

The article set off a frenzy of reactions among Catholics, ranging from amusement to grave concern over what some see as anti-Catholic sentiment.  

The magazine later changed the article’s headline from "How the Rosary Became an Extremist Symbol" to "How Extremist Gun Culture is Trying to Co-Opt the Rosary." Among other edits to the text, an image of bullet holes forming the shape of a rosary was replaced with a picture of a rosary. 

3 hours ago, Matthew Koch said:

Is this the same guy from the AOC town hall? lols 

Since @W. Niederhutclaimed that the blowing up of the Nord Stream pipeline was justified, perhaps he can tell us why the the US and/or NATO hasn't accepted responsibility for it.

Edited by John Cotter

Since over 140 nations have now voted at the UN to condemn Putin's illegal, bloody invasion of Ukraine, perhaps John Cotter should explain why he still refrains from condemning Putin's illegal invasion and war crimes-- while condemning strategic Western counter measures against Putin's death machine.

At present, John still appears to be oddly aligned with the dictators Kim Jong Un, Lukashenko, and Vlad-the-Journalist-Impaler against democracy and international law.

Edited by W. Niederhut

10 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Greg Palast nails it.

This should be required reading for the Putin apologists-- on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean.

F-bombs were dropped' after Arizona election denial witness accused GOP officials of taking bribes: report

by Brad Reed February 24, 2023

https://www.rawstory.com/arizona-republicans-2659465102/

:Despite the existence of ample evidence to disprove election fraud claims in Arizona, elected Republicans in that state held yet another hearing this week that gave conspiracy theorists space to air false accusations about the 2020 election being stolen from former President Donald Trump.

Local news outlet ABC 15 Arizona reports that the hearing brought together many conspiracy theorists whose work has been cited in the past by Arizona state Republicans, including Jacqueline Breger, who accused Mesa Mayor John Giles and Maricopa County Recorder Stephen Richer -- both of whom are Republicans -- of taking bribes to change election results.

According to ABC 15's report, Breger offered no evidence to back up her claims of bribery among elected Republicans, and Republican State Sen. Ken Bennett "told Breger to stop talking, ending her testimony."

https://www.abc15.com/news/political/elections/gop-lawmakers-double-down-on-az-elections-despite-ag-report-saying-theyre-safe-and-secure

“AVONDALE, AZ — Any chance that the release of a concealed attorney general report which discredited nearly every claim that Arizona's 2020 election was stolen quickly evaporated Thursday when Republicans, who sat on the Municipal Oversight & Elections Joint meeting, continued to press their belief that elections in Arizona are not safe and secure.

Only Republicans attended the hearing, while Democrats boycotted it.”

“Another witness was Jacqueline Breger, who accused election workers by name along with Mesa Mayor John Giles and Maricopa County Recorder Stephen Richer of accepting bribes to alter the outcomes of elections.

Breger offered no proof of claims and none of the lawmakers asked for any. Finally, State Senator Ken Bennett of Prescott District 1 told Breger to stop talking, ending her testimony.”

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1629178543119933440

Confirmed with legislative staff.

"After yesterday's election hearing ended with a speaker accusing elected officials (including legislators) of taking bribes, a "raised voices" debriefing occurred joined by other GOP legislators. F-bombs were dropped.+

I'll bet you there were.

Steve Thomas

"If the average person knew 'HALF' what's really going on in the world they would go into their back yard and kill themselves."

15th hand recounting of a drunken quote by someone supposedly in the know.

This following video will blow all of your minds.

Doug Caddy...are you there?

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCOADEI4CSFXyq4

4K views2 years ago

AL5GRJUZ61MIU6hzmDvbpu8j2J_A5vQ5S8DAUyw8

Edited by Joe Bauer

7 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

"If the average person knew 'HALF' what's really going on in the world they would go into their back yard and kill themselves."

15th hand recounting of a drunken quote by someone supposedly in the know.

This following video will blow all of your minds.

Doug Caddy...are you there?

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCOADEI4CSFXyq4

4K views2 years ago

AL5GRJUZ61MIU6hzmDvbpu8j2J_A5vQ5S8DAUyw8

Joe fyi your post in both threads isn't showing up.. 

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Since over 140 nations have now voted at the UN to condemn Putin's illegal, bloody invasion of Ukraine, perhaps John Cotter should explain why he still refrains from condemning Putin's illegal invasion and war crimes-- while condemning strategic Western counter measures against Putin's death machine.

At present, John still appears to be oddly aligned with the dictators Kim Jong Un, Lukashenko, and Vlad-the-Journalist-Impaler against democracy and international law.

William,

I've already answered your question many times on this and the other related sidelined thread.

On the other hand, you have again dodged a question of mine, namely:

Since you claim that the blowing up of the Nord Stream pipeline was justified, why has the US and/or NATO not accepted responsibility for this "strategic counter measure" as you call it?

57 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

William,

I've already answered your question many times on this and the other related sidelined thread.

William- it seems it pains John too much to ever repeat any claimed denunciation of the Russian rapists and child killers...

59 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

why has the US and/or NATO not accepted responsibility for this "strategic counter measure" as you call it?

Do you have proof of this? That silly Hersh article has already been debunked 50 ways from Sunday, so I hope you're not referring to that. 

Your request might also make more sense if you can give an example of any government ever giving out strategic details of a retaliatory military strike.

Perhaps your beloved Russia has done so? I'm sure you have an example of them doing such a thing, right?