The Education Forum

Oliver Stone on Joe Rogan

Thanks for this Anthony.

When Oliver is in a non antagonistic situation, I think he comes off well and people learn a lot from him.

And Joe had some nice contributions also.  Man where do you get this much about the JFK case?

Also, good stuff about the Scarface film also.

Great interview. Oliver is showing his age at points.  I never knew about his personal combat experience in Vietnam or the background on Platoon.  At 44:00 though never mentioning the title of the documentary Destiny Betrayed he does speak of putting down the evidence because I couldn't do it in a film and discusses it more.  Dulles should be looked at closer.   Jolly West at 1:02 screwing up Ruby's brain, there's more to that.  Ruby pushed into it (killing Oswald). 

Near the end comments on no support for films on Mi Lai and MLK.

Rogen get's off track a few times, shows some lack of knowledge on the subject but hits home with we could use a MLK film now.

I need to re watch Platoon now.

More on Oliver Stone, this time same from The Torygraph in England.  What a load of baloney.  

In the second part I go after a guy named Howie Carr who I never heard of before.  And I am glad I did not.  How anyone can mention the recent monument toppling and never mention the name of Robert E Lee is simply mind boggling.  Sash Baron Cohen and Jason Spencer.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/oliver-stone-amid-the-trolls-tom-fordy-and-the-telegraph

I'm already enjoying Oliver Stone's new book, which arrived today. It is eloquently written and revealing about his

life and influences and work. I remember my first knowledge of Stone was

reviewing SEIZURE for Variety -- I gave it a pretty good review. How could

a film go wrong with Hervé Villechaize in it?

Edited by Joseph McBride

Stone did an interview in the late 70’s or early 80’s about SEIZURE, and recounted a funny story - which I’m paraphrasing from memory - about Villechaize. The actor was outdoors in the countryside leaving the film’s set one evening with the other actors, and stumbled into a newly dug hole. This wasn’t witnessed by anyone else, Villechaize was too short to climb out, the shape of the hole prevented him from shouting, and Villechaize was worried that he might freeze to death if he was left there overnight. Everyone else left, and Villechaize was all alone in the darkness. Villechaize cheered himself up while it got colder as he could see a light on a stand had been left on, visible through the trees, and someone would surely be back soon to turn it off and pack up the equipment. Villechaize looked at the light for a few hours as it got colder and colder. Miraculously, a crew member did come back for another reason, spotted Villechaize, and pulled him out. At this point, Villechaize, grateful for the rescue, looked at the light, and realised that for the previous few hours he’d been staring at the full moon through the trees.

Villechaize's life story is really interesting. Worthy of a film for sure.

Actor, serious artist, child and spousal abuse activist, former rat catcher's assistant and suave lady's man. Born in France he taught himself English by watching American TV when he moved from France to New York as a young man. So poor at one time, he lived out of his car in Los Angeles before finally making it there.

Putting oneself into his birth defect shoes and knowing the heart breaking pain ( emotional and physical ) and sadness he must have felt from childhood bullying to adulthood struggles because of this, obviously it took "incredible" courage for him to accomplish everything he did despite his life long hard challenge fate.

Regards Stone.

Always wished he could have done a film on Dorothy Kilgallen.

The woman's remarkable achieving life in the highest dead center rungs of social celebrity in New York at it's zenith of world envy energy and fame combined with her JFK investigation caused murder...

What a fascinating story!

A shame it's been let go imo.

Hard to believe Stone has never considered a film on Kilgallen.

Maybe there has been huge legal property rights entanglements and resistance problems with the story.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Paul, many others have mentioned this Kilgallen movie idea on the forum, going back several years.

I use to say Meryl Streep would be perfect as Kilgallen, especially in Kilgallen's later years.

But it's already probably too late. Streep is her 70's now.

Dorothy Kilgallen died at the relatively young age of 52.

Edited by Joe Bauer

7 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Paul, many others have mentioned this Kilgallen movie idea on the forum, going back several years.

I use to say Meryl Streep would be perfect as Kilgallen, especially in Kilgallen's later years.

But it's already probably too late. Streep is in her 70's.

Dorothy Kilgallen died at the relatively young age of 52.

Apparently Mark Shaw’s book has been optioned by the Dowdle brothers, who recently made the Waco TV show and some well known horror films. Hopefully that gets some funding but in the current climate it’s looking unlikely it will ever be made. 

Kilgallen's life story would make for a great, multi-episode series such as Netflix produces.

I would propose this to Netflix but little people can never get connected through to anyone in that corporate creative realm.

And it sounds like Kilgallen biography writer Mark Shaw has a shark like grip on the rights to this story.