The Education Forum

Kennedy's avenger by Dan Abrams

One review (Kirkus) characterized the book as "a bright spotlight on well-worn ground".  I am interested because Ruby is such an under-researched character and topic.   Of course, those of us on the Forum who are better informed and have what I would call more accurate (albeit controversial) information, know there is way more to Ruby's story and involvement.  Nonetheless, the authors have good credentials, and the book focuses on the legal issues, Ruby's trial and his defense by Melvin Belli:

Abrams, chief legal analyst for ABC News, and journalist Fisher team up for their latest investigation, this time focused on the trial of Ruby, accused of killing JFK assassin Oswald. With the shooting broadly televised, Ruby’s defense lawyers—headed by “square-jawed, silver-maned, impeccably groomed Californian Melvin Belli, arguably the most famous lawyer in the country”—hoped to spare Ruby from the death penalty by conjuring an innovative defense. Ruby, Belli asserted, suffered from a rare mental illness—psychomotor variant epilepsy—that resulted in a fugue state, during which he had no control over what he was doing. The authors offer an animated, overwhelmingly detailed examination of the trial, from the family’s decision to hire a high-powered “superstar” lawyer, whose $50,000 fee, the family believed, could be raised by selling Ruby’s story; to the verdict, when jurors unanimously found Ruby guilty and sentenced him to death. Jury selection was predictably contentious. Of 900 people called to serve, 500 showed up, and after 14 days of lawyerly wrangling, a jury consisting of eight men and four women, all White Protestants, was finally seated.  

I also believe that the authors don't have an agenda, nor do they try to debunk the notion of added conspiracy ... that is simply not their focus for this book:

A forgotten trial somehow few have focused on despite the fact that it served as the genesis or launching pad for many of the conspiracy theories. Sometimes in the form of testimony, and many other times with questions left unanswered. And while the trial wasn’t about a possible conspiracy, the issue was forever lurking within the halls of the courthouse and the courtroom itself. Both sides sought to use the possibility of there being “more to the story” for strategic advantage.

It has even been alleged that the defense team was involved in the conspiracy, that Ruby’s lead attorney, Melvin Belli, then considered the nation’s greatest legal showman, was part of an effort to ensure that Ruby was actually convicted. Neither David Fisher nor I take that seriously, but we did differ on the strategy employed by the defense. This was not an easy case, but I believe Belli did Ruby a disservice with the defense he chose and yet David felt Belli generally made a compelling case. So keep an eye out for the subtleties in our agreed upon characterizations of the defense and decide for yourself. This is our fourth book together, where we have tried to tell the story of an overlooked trial while tracking the evolution of the American legal system ... 

There are two key points about that trial.

First, Belli was trying for a Hail Mary, in order to get his client no jail time. I also think he really believed this to be the case.

Second, the bias of the judge and the authorities was pretty clear.  And this is what caused the verdict to be overturned.  IMO, in his book, Belli began to show just how bad the Fritz/Wade regime really was.  What most people do not understand is this: at the time of his death, Ruby was not convicted.

If I wrote this it would be Ruby being tried in the afterlife where he puts on his own defense by telling his version of what happened, using the Carousel Club as his stage and starring the various protagonists as his acts. The Jury would be the WC. 

I like Dan Abrams but that Sheba stuff is nonsense. Ruby conducted plenty of business without his dog in tow, and clearly he didn't mind leaving the dog alone, because when he went into the police garage that's precisely what he did! And it didn't matter if the dog was in the car or left at home, because after he took care of Oswald someone else would be assuming the duties of taking care of his dog. Was he worried about Sheba when he had his gun on him at Friday night's press conference?

Edited by Matt Allison

I hate having to read pieces of BS like this. You would have thought the HSCA would have put an end to this crap.

I mean just what they did on how Ruby entered the ramp area should have spelled finis to the WC version

Edited by James DiEugenio

Between this and Zero Fail it makes the pessimistic part of me wonder if something's not up in relation to the potential files release.  JFK is not a newsworthy subject even on the anniversaries anymore in the msm.  Two books by two prominent msm authors within a couple of months.   The antennae on my tin foil hat are buzzing.  Something smells a little fishy.

They will feature this but not mention Stone and Jim's Cannes worthy film?

Edited by Ron Bulman

That's Abrams central point. He had no intention to kill Oswald initially because he left his dog in his car. and the timing of the Western Union receipt. Also he woke up late, and he wouldn't have been there had not for the fact that they brought out Oswald later than planned, never asking how he got in the basement.Never considering that he could be working with anyone else.

Isn't it amazing how high profile TV people  can write books exposing nothing new, but generate attention?  Like this Jake Tapper book about Frank Sinatra being rebuffed by JFK through AG  Bobby. But  any kind of exposure by a high profile TV personality does shed more light on a figure like Ruby, and could bring on other books, so it doesn't matter what  Abrams verdict is on Jack Ruby, it  is actually helpful to the JFKAC  just to draw attention to Ruby. 

Ron, do not forget Woolsey and Oswald as a KGB agent.

I am beginning to think something is rotten in Denmark.

Sheba aside, as I think the "left in the car" story is manufactured and questionable:

That morning Harry D. Holmes arrived at his regular church visit with his wife. 'Out of the blue', he leaves her there and goes to the DPD. When he arrives at the DPD, his friend Capt. Fritz, motions to him and 'whispers' an invitation for Harry to be in on the last pre-transfer Oswald interview. Harry then joined the interview and when most have asked their questions he largely takes over and starts to go over assorted minutiae re post boxes etc. In other words, Harry was the reason for why the interview lasted until: "someone banged on the door" and the interview wound up. Harry then invited someone (Sorrels) to come with him to his office to view the transfer on TV. This moment of someone banging on the door appears to coincide with the time when Ruby was approaching.

Quite a few coincidences here ...