The Education Forum

The Death of Hope

"I was not prepared at this time for the death of hope, ignore it at your peril. . . this is the end of reason, the direst hour of our time."  Hunter S Thompson, 11'22'63.  Courtesy of Alan Dale.

JFK Facts » ‘Fear and loathing’ began in Dallas

Edited by Ron Bulman

This was really good and I was not aware of it until just. a few moths ago.  Rob Couteau confirmed it for me.

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Here is the whole letter.  Thanks to Bill Kelly and Jeff Morley.  "Politics will become a cockfight".

JFKCountercoup2: 11/22/63 Origin of "Fear and Loathing" 

ahhh, my old USENET/forum bud Bill Kelly... I miss his participation, it's been a while now...

I thought I'd read this somewhere before.  After finding and re reading it I began to wonder if Thompson had commented on the RFK assassination as well.

I found almost nothing.  He was going to do a book on the 1968 campaign but when LBJ backed out so did his publisher, with his funding.  However he came back strong with Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 1972.  Excellent reviews from the time and recent readers.

Presented in 13 "chapters", December 1971 - December 1972 it looks very interesting from the amazon preview of the first few pages, including the TOC.  The sub titles are intriguing.

December 71, Fear and Loathing in Washington.  January 72, The Death of Hope & A Withering of Expectation.  The rancid resurrection of Hubert Humphrey.  February 72, Fear and Loathing in New Hampshire, Weird Memories of 1968:  A Private Conversation with Richard Nixon.  Epitaph, Four More Years, Fear and Loathing at the Super Bowl.

Worth 15 bucks I think, thought a new or used hardcover is a bit more expensive.

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72: Thompson, Hunter S.: 9781451691573: Amazon.com: Books

Regarding googling HST/RFK assassination I did stumble across this.  It seem Jr. took III to meet Hunter at the Owl Farm.  I had no idea about this film.

"Fear and Loathing in Aspen," the new Hunter S. Thompson movie, almost didn't get released (denverpost.com)

Edited by Ron Bulman

What a great letter, poetry in prose.

Thanks for this - the two people I wish were still around to hear what they think and their commentary are Thompson and Zappa.

There's an interesting interview on YouTube - Zappa the Lost Interview where he comments on US history, the assassinations in the 60s among other topics.

While looking for anything Thompson might have said about the RFK assassination I also stumbled across this.  Nothing about 11/22/63 or RFK but worth looking at for the pictures.  I chuckled out loud when I saw the one of him taking aim at his typewriter in the snow.  I think his pet wolverine s dead, as in it's been mounted.  Then his ashes being blasted into the sky is unique.  Like him.  Staying in his cabin and using his typewriter would be cool.

My gonzo night at Hunter S Thompson's cabin | Hunter S Thompson | The Guardian  

Not sure if this is legal, but here's the full Denver Post review of Bobby Kennedy III's new Fear and Loathing in Aspen film, for non-subscribers. (I'll delete this if necessary.)

I remember Hunter Thompson running for sheriff up there back in 1970, and I'm not surprised that they filmed this in funky Silverton, Colorado, because Aspen has changed dramatically in the past half century. It was a vastly different community in 1970, in the era before it became a popular, international, jet-set resort.  There were a lot of heads living up there in those days, and you could still walk into the funky Hotel Jerome and have breakfast for a few bucks. 

Bobby Kennedy III’s new Hunter S. Thompson movie, “Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” almost didn’t see the light of day Released July 23, the indie film follows The Battle of Aspen, Hunter S. Thompson’s 1970 run for sheriff of Pitkin County

Writer-director Bobby Kennedy III, left, and Jay Bulger in character as Hunter S. Thompson on the set of "Fear and Loathing in Aspen." (Provided by Shout! Factory)
Writer-director Bobby Kennedy III, left, and Jay Bulger in character as Hunter S. Thompson on the set of “Fear and Loathing in Aspen.” (Provided by Shout! Factory)
By John Wenzel | jwenzel@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: July 30, 2021 at 6:00 a.m. | UPDATED: July 30, 2021 at 11:41 a.m.

Gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson is a character of his own making.

The late author of “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” (among many other books) has been portrayed by Bill Murray, Johnny Depp and Lee Cummings on screen, where the actors have struck compelling but cartoonish figures obsessed with drugs and guns as much as literary pursuits.

Thompson’s life inspired and often encouraged that. But when he died by suicide at the age of 67 on Feb. 20, 2005, his persona seemed reduced to a handful of tropes. Crumpled hat, sunglasses and omnipresent cigarette holder. Unpredictable, violent personality. Woody Creek’s unofficial mayor and gadfly, who babbled in unending streams, often indecipherably.

Those stereotypes can’t possibly provide full pictures of Thompson’s life, said Bobby Kennedy III, who first met Thompson as a child when visiting Thompson’s 42-acre Owl Farm compound outside Aspen with his father, political scion Robert Kennedy Jr. (son of Robert F. Kennedy).

“He was the first person I ever fired a gun with,” the younger Kennedy said, adding that Thompson and his father were longtime friends.

Kennedy is hoping his new film, “Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” adds more real-life depth to Thompson’s persona and politics, which feel prescient in Thompson’s calls to demilitarize police, eradicate America’s racial and class disparities, and clean up the environment.

TDP-Z-FearAndLoathingInAspen-05.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ssl=1 Jay Bulger in character as Hunter S. Thompson in “Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” which was filmed in Silverton. It was released on July 23 in theaters. (Provided by Shout! Factory)

“We’re in a historical echo right now,” Kennedy said during a recent Zoom interview. “If (Thompson) had won his run for sheriff of Pitkin County, maybe something would have changed, or we would have taken up some of his ideas. Cops making war on citizens and journalists is not a new thing in America.”

Related Articles

“Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” which was filmed in Colorado and saw theatrical release in more than 20 theaters on July 23, tells the story of Thompson’s 1970 campaign. It’s been mythologized in art and writing over the years as The Battle of Aspen, since Thompson ran against the establishment in an effort to keep the city clean, affordable and weird (a fight that was clearly lost long ago).

Grainy montages shot on Super 8 film complement meticulously designed, period-accurate scenes of Thompson with his family, or agonizing privately over his work. It’s easily the most complex portrait of the legendary writer ever presented on screen, and one concerned with quiet moments of doubt as much as showmanship.

Having the support of Thompson’s estate and friends was key, Kennedy said.

“We made a deal early on for use of some of his writing, and we ended up weaving that into the narrative,” Kennedy said. “We’re all fans of his so (Thompson’s estate) knew we weren’t going to drag him through the mud.”

As the director and writer, Kennedy pushed for years to find funding for “Fear and Loathing in Aspen” — first from Sony, and then from the state of Colorado.

TDP-Z-FearAndLoathingInAspen-04.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ssl=1 Jay Bulger, left, plays Hunter S. Thompson in writer-director Bobby Kennedy III’s new movie, “Fear and Loathing in Aspen.” Here, Kennedy (right) talks to Bulger in Silverton during production. (Provided by Shout! Factory)

It couldn’t have been made without rebates from Colorado’s Economic Development Commission, he said. Kennedy landed the film after a charismatic, in-person pitch in 2016 — back when the project was dubbed “Freak Power” — amid promises to use an in-state crew (which were met).

“Because of my longstanding relationships (in Aspen), we’re going to pull in a few favors here and there,” Kennedy said at the time, flashing a charming, practiced grin. “I wouldn’t want to go to Canada with this. I think it would ruin the spirit.”

Due to creative differences over casting a recognizable lead (Sony wanted one, Kennedy didn’t) the budget shrank from a planned $1.85 million to about $250,000 — which also reduced his eligibility for state rebates from $300,000 to about $50,000. Aspen-based scenes were filmed in Silverton in fall 2018, given decades-long development in the former, and the historic, period-appropriate backdrops of the latter. Simply setting up the production in Aspen also would have eaten up most of the budget, Kennedy added.

TDP-Z-FearAndLoathingInAspen-03.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ssl=1 Poster for writer-director Bobby Kennedy III’s new movie, “Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” which reexamines Hunter S. Thompson’s 1970 run for sheriff for Pitkin County. (Provided by Shout! Factory)

The all-important casting of Thompson fell into place as friend Jay Bulger, a Thompson geek, director, and fellow Washington, D.C., native, became ever-immersed in the project.

“When I was writing the script, he would come around and do the (Thompson) voice behind my back, which was kind of intimidating,” Kennedy said with a chuckle. “There was never any intent of him being in the movie, but when we canceled the Sony deal we suddenly didn’t need an A-lister in the role.”

With an uncanny physical resemblance to Thompson and a similar backstory — Bulger is also a gonzo journalist who has written for Rolling Stone — Bulger seemed ideal for the main role. The cast includes Kennedy’s wife, the writer, actor and former CIA analyst Amaryllis Fox and Emmy-nominated actor Cheryl Hines (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”), who happens to be his stepmother.

Some doubled as producers, calling in favors and devoting dozens of overtime hours to the production. Plans were further complicated when more crises arose. One example Kennedy offered was when a box truck drove into a power line on-location, knocking down a telephone pole and killing electricity to the freshly dressed set of Thompson’s cabin. Kennedy had to pay to have it repaired.

The film was in the can before the pandemic hit. But as with so many others, COVID-19  devastated the marketing roll-out. Kennedy had scheduled a splashy premiere at the 2020 South by Southwest festival, renting out a 1,000-person theater and spending $25,000 on hotel rooms for cast and crew. He had gassed up his 1960s school bus and was planning to throw a massive party at the Austin, Texas, festival.

“During production, we were always running from the boulder rolling downhill, Indiana Jones-style,” Kennedy said. “With (the pandemic), I was banging my head against the wall.”

TDP-Z-FearAndLoathingInAspen-02.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ssl=1 Cheryl Hines (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”) plays Aspen Mayor Eve Homeyer in writer-director Bobby Kennedy III’s new movie, “Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” which follows the freak-power political run of Hunter S. Thompson. (Provided by Shout! Factory)

Luckily, Kennedy ended up securing a release with Shout! Factory, which is distributing the film theatrically and digitally, thanks in part to Stephen Nemeth, a producer on Terry Gilliam’s iconic “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.” Shout! Factory’s wide reach will give it the platform it deserves, Kennedy said.

“Politics is the art of controlling your environment, and Hunter knew that,” he said. “In that way, I’m glad this turned out as an independent film instead of a studio feature. I also think the ghost of Hunter S. Thompson might have beaten my ass had I done that to him.”

On 8/20/2021 at 1:15 AM, Ron Bulman said:

"I was not prepared at this time for the death of hope, ignore it at your peril. . . this is the end of reason, the direst hour of our time."  Hunter S Thompson, 11'22'63.  Courtesy of Alan Dale.

JFK Facts » ‘Fear and loathing’ began in Dallas

Interesting interview. Thompson mentions the JFK/RFK assassinations at the 25 minute 35 second mark and again around 28:15...

Edited by Robert Burrows

42 minutes ago, Robert Burrows said:

Interesting interview. Thompson mentions the JFK/RFK assassinations at the 25 minute 35 second mark and again around 28:15...

The second part you mention actually starts close to 29 minutes.  "One of my great shames as a journalist is that I still don't know who killed John Kennedy. . . It has always bothered me, always haunted me." 

On 8/21/2021 at 7:26 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Not sure if this is legal, but here's the full Denver Post review of Bobby Kennedy III's new Fear and Loathing in Aspen film, for non-subscribers. (I'll delete this if necessary.)

I remember Hunter Thompson running for sheriff up there back in 1970, and I'm not surprised that they filmed this in funky Silverton, Colorado, because Aspen has changed dramatically in the past half century. It was a vastly different community in 1970, in the era before it became a popular, international, jet-set resort.  There were a lot of heads living up there in those days, and you could still walk into the funky Hotel Jerome and have breakfast for a few bucks. 

Bobby Kennedy III’s new Hunter S. Thompson movie, “Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” almost didn’t see the light of day Released July 23, the indie film follows The Battle of Aspen, Hunter S. Thompson’s 1970 run for sheriff of Pitkin County

Writer-director Bobby Kennedy III, left, and Jay Bulger in character as Hunter S. Thompson on the set of "Fear and Loathing in Aspen." (Provided by Shout! Factory)
Writer-director Bobby Kennedy III, left, and Jay Bulger in character as Hunter S. Thompson on the set of “Fear and Loathing in Aspen.” (Provided by Shout! Factory)
By John Wenzel | jwenzel@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: July 30, 2021 at 6:00 a.m. | UPDATED: July 30, 2021 at 11:41 a.m.

Gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson is a character of his own making.

The late author of “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” (among many other books) has been portrayed by Bill Murray, Johnny Depp and Lee Cummings on screen, where the actors have struck compelling but cartoonish figures obsessed with drugs and guns as much as literary pursuits.

Thompson’s life inspired and often encouraged that. But when he died by suicide at the age of 67 on Feb. 20, 2005, his persona seemed reduced to a handful of tropes. Crumpled hat, sunglasses and omnipresent cigarette holder. Unpredictable, violent personality. Woody Creek’s unofficial mayor and gadfly, who babbled in unending streams, often indecipherably.

Those stereotypes can’t possibly provide full pictures of Thompson’s life, said Bobby Kennedy III, who first met Thompson as a child when visiting Thompson’s 42-acre Owl Farm compound outside Aspen with his father, political scion Robert Kennedy Jr. (son of Robert F. Kennedy).

“He was the first person I ever fired a gun with,” the younger Kennedy said, adding that Thompson and his father were longtime friends.

Kennedy is hoping his new film, “Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” adds more real-life depth to Thompson’s persona and politics, which feel prescient in Thompson’s calls to demilitarize police, eradicate America’s racial and class disparities, and clean up the environment.

TDP-Z-FearAndLoathingInAspen-05.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ssl=1 Jay Bulger in character as Hunter S. Thompson in “Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” which was filmed in Silverton. It was released on July 23 in theaters. (Provided by Shout! Factory)

“We’re in a historical echo right now,” Kennedy said during a recent Zoom interview. “If (Thompson) had won his run for sheriff of Pitkin County, maybe something would have changed, or we would have taken up some of his ideas. Cops making war on citizens and journalists is not a new thing in America.”

Related Articles

“Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” which was filmed in Colorado and saw theatrical release in more than 20 theaters on July 23, tells the story of Thompson’s 1970 campaign. It’s been mythologized in art and writing over the years as The Battle of Aspen, since Thompson ran against the establishment in an effort to keep the city clean, affordable and weird (a fight that was clearly lost long ago).

Grainy montages shot on Super 8 film complement meticulously designed, period-accurate scenes of Thompson with his family, or agonizing privately over his work. It’s easily the most complex portrait of the legendary writer ever presented on screen, and one concerned with quiet moments of doubt as much as showmanship.

Having the support of Thompson’s estate and friends was key, Kennedy said.

“We made a deal early on for use of some of his writing, and we ended up weaving that into the narrative,” Kennedy said. “We’re all fans of his so (Thompson’s estate) knew we weren’t going to drag him through the mud.”

As the director and writer, Kennedy pushed for years to find funding for “Fear and Loathing in Aspen” — first from Sony, and then from the state of Colorado.

TDP-Z-FearAndLoathingInAspen-04.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ssl=1 Jay Bulger, left, plays Hunter S. Thompson in writer-director Bobby Kennedy III’s new movie, “Fear and Loathing in Aspen.” Here, Kennedy (right) talks to Bulger in Silverton during production. (Provided by Shout! Factory)

It couldn’t have been made without rebates from Colorado’s Economic Development Commission, he said. Kennedy landed the film after a charismatic, in-person pitch in 2016 — back when the project was dubbed “Freak Power” — amid promises to use an in-state crew (which were met).

“Because of my longstanding relationships (in Aspen), we’re going to pull in a few favors here and there,” Kennedy said at the time, flashing a charming, practiced grin. “I wouldn’t want to go to Canada with this. I think it would ruin the spirit.”

Due to creative differences over casting a recognizable lead (Sony wanted one, Kennedy didn’t) the budget shrank from a planned $1.85 million to about $250,000 — which also reduced his eligibility for state rebates from $300,000 to about $50,000. Aspen-based scenes were filmed in Silverton in fall 2018, given decades-long development in the former, and the historic, period-appropriate backdrops of the latter. Simply setting up the production in Aspen also would have eaten up most of the budget, Kennedy added.

TDP-Z-FearAndLoathingInAspen-03.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ssl=1 Poster for writer-director Bobby Kennedy III’s new movie, “Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” which reexamines Hunter S. Thompson’s 1970 run for sheriff for Pitkin County. (Provided by Shout! Factory)

The all-important casting of Thompson fell into place as friend Jay Bulger, a Thompson geek, director, and fellow Washington, D.C., native, became ever-immersed in the project.

“When I was writing the script, he would come around and do the (Thompson) voice behind my back, which was kind of intimidating,” Kennedy said with a chuckle. “There was never any intent of him being in the movie, but when we canceled the Sony deal we suddenly didn’t need an A-lister in the role.”

With an uncanny physical resemblance to Thompson and a similar backstory — Bulger is also a gonzo journalist who has written for Rolling Stone — Bulger seemed ideal for the main role. The cast includes Kennedy’s wife, the writer, actor and former CIA analyst Amaryllis Fox and Emmy-nominated actor Cheryl Hines (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”), who happens to be his stepmother.

Some doubled as producers, calling in favors and devoting dozens of overtime hours to the production. Plans were further complicated when more crises arose. One example Kennedy offered was when a box truck drove into a power line on-location, knocking down a telephone pole and killing electricity to the freshly dressed set of Thompson’s cabin. Kennedy had to pay to have it repaired.

The film was in the can before the pandemic hit. But as with so many others, COVID-19  devastated the marketing roll-out. Kennedy had scheduled a splashy premiere at the 2020 South by Southwest festival, renting out a 1,000-person theater and spending $25,000 on hotel rooms for cast and crew. He had gassed up his 1960s school bus and was planning to throw a massive party at the Austin, Texas, festival.

“During production, we were always running from the boulder rolling downhill, Indiana Jones-style,” Kennedy said. “With (the pandemic), I was banging my head against the wall.”

TDP-Z-FearAndLoathingInAspen-02.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ssl=1 Cheryl Hines (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”) plays Aspen Mayor Eve Homeyer in writer-director Bobby Kennedy III’s new movie, “Fear and Loathing in Aspen,” which follows the freak-power political run of Hunter S. Thompson. (Provided by Shout! Factory)

Luckily, Kennedy ended up securing a release with Shout! Factory, which is distributing the film theatrically and digitally, thanks in part to Stephen Nemeth, a producer on Terry Gilliam’s iconic “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.” Shout! Factory’s wide reach will give it the platform it deserves, Kennedy said.

“Politics is the art of controlling your environment, and Hunter knew that,” he said. “In that way, I’m glad this turned out as an independent film instead of a studio feature. I also think the ghost of Hunter S. Thompson might have beaten my ass had I done that to him.”

I was surprised about the filming in Silverton.  It's in a bowl on a mountain top, not much vegetation from what I remember.  Aspen is in a beautiful valley with the roaring fork river running through and the peaks looming above around it.  The article does mention filming outside of town.  I hope to see the film in the not too distant future somewhere.

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I was surprised about the filming in Silverton.  It's in a bowl on a mountain top, not much vegetation from what I remember.  Aspen is in a beautiful valley with the roaring fork river running through and the peaks looming above around it.  The article does mention filming outside of town.  I hope to see the film in the not too distant future somewhere.

Ron,

The scenery in the San Juan mountains around Silverton and Durango is the best of Colorado, IMO, and Silverton reminds me of the way ski towns like Aspen and Crested Butte looked back in the 60s.  (Although, I haven't been to Silverton for several years.  It has probably grown.)

Silverton Colorado Stock Photo - Download Image Now - iStock