The Education Forum

Did YouTube Just Delete the JFK Revisited Trailer?

I recently posted YouTube's JFK Revisited trailer on another forum, and I just noticed that it is "No Longer Available."

Is YouTube now censoring any information about Oliver Stone's new documentary?!

On further review, the only JFK Revisited trailer I can find on YouTube this morning is a German version.

The English version was deleted some time during the past 12 hours, because I was just talking about it on my thread on another forum last night.

This is what happened.

The Sixth Floor Museum complained to the distributor because of our use of the Z film without asking them.

What not many people know is that the Zapruder family, after hiring a big time lawyer and going to arbitration, and then getting the ridiculous sum of 16 million, did something rather odd.  After getting the payoff, they deeded the film to the Sixth Floor Museum.  We reveal this and Doug Horne talks about it in the movie.

Edited by James DiEugenio

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

This is what happened.

The Sixth Floor Museum filed a You Tube complaint because of our use of the Z film without asking them.

What not many people know is that the Zapruder family, after hiring a big time lawyer and going to arbitration, and then getting the ridiculous sum of 16 million, did something rather odd.  After getting the payoff, they deeded the film to the Sixth Floor Museum.  We reveal this and Doug Horne talks about it in the movie.

Jim - might a licensing dispute with Sixth Floor affect the exhibition of the documentary? Usually film producers/distributors have their own legal teams working on clearances , so was it a decision to bypass Sixth Floor permission? (you don’t have to answer that 2nd question)

I understand the issues of the Zapruder family getting “market value” for the film both in 1963 and 1999 - it is America after all - but the film was in fact “evidence” in a extremely high-profile murder investigation and so the official lazy acceptance of the film as “private property”, particularly during the 1960s, is rather baffling. After the latter day settlement, the film should have gone to the National Archives instead of Sixth Floor, and it is unclear why the Zapruder family got to make that call. Unlike the Archives, the Sixth Floor is not a neutral body and they should not be retaining copyright to the film. There should no longer be a copyright after the settlement. The problem, of course, is the proceeds of high licensing fees go to support a rather one-sided and, most here agree, factually incorrect presentation of events at the museum. Plus there is the negative role the museum has played in the past through policing informational displays in Dealey Plaza.

There is a Fair Use demarcation between promotion and educational and critical studies.

I think this is what the complaint was about.

14 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

There is a Fair Use demarcation between promotion and educational and critical studies.

I think this is what the complaint was about.

Well, it's reassuring to see that the Sixth Floor Museum is so invested in keeping the public informed about the history of JFK's assassination... 🤥

Perhaps they should rename it the National Allen Dulles Dealey Plaza Museum of Warren Commission Mythology.

P.S. Didn't Oliver Stone pay someone (? Life magazine) in 1992 for the right to use the Zapruder film in JFK?

Edited by W. Niederhut

This leaves my overloaded memory grasping for another name.  Who was the CIA agent, I think he was a "former" agent who spent a year or two in the late 80's working with the development team on The Lone Nut Oswald Did It All By Himself Museum?

I do remember the defection/turning of Gary Mack.

Maybe this is not such a surprise development.

Back then, before the ARRB made their pitch for the film, Oliver had to make a rather large contribution to the Sixth Floor.

And yes, there was a CIA agent who helped get the Sixth Floor organized and functioning.

https://jfkfacts.org/cia-man-assisted-in-the-creation-of-the-sixth-floor-museum/

But the worst thing they did was to have Gary mack cooperate in the making of those two horrendous documentaries.

Edited by James DiEugenio

18 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Back then, before the ARRB made their pitch for the film, Oliver had to make a rather large contribution to the Sixth Floor.

And yes, there was a CIA agent who helped get the Sixth Floor organized and functioning.

https://jfkfacts.org/cia-man-assisted-in-the-creation-of-the-sixth-floor-museum/

But the worst thing they did was to have Gary mack cooperate in the making of those two horrendous documentaries.

Yes, Charles Briggs.  That's him, former Executive Director of the CIA.  Number Three man in the chain of command.  Just a little retirement project.   Jeff has some nuggets buried on his site for future researchers.  Like Leslie Sharps comments.  If they dig past jmac. 

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Yes, Charles Briggs.  That's him, former Executive Director of the CIA.  Number Three man in the chain of command.  Just a little retirement project.   Jeff has some nuggets buried on his site for future researchers.  Like Leslie Sharps comments.  If they dig past jmac. 

Showtime.

Can anybody tell me if there will be a way to watch the documentary without having a subscription to Showtime. Can I watch it Pay-Per-View on Comcast? Or buy a DVD?

I have Roku and NetFlix. Does that help? (I know... I am truly consumer TV illiterate.)

Edited by Sandy Larsen

Yes, I think there will be a way to do that.  I think through Amazon, that is how I saw the Dick Gregory video.

Later, you will be able to stream the four parter also.