The Education Forum

What is the Deep State?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Pat-

But if Biden pursues the globalization path preferred by multinationals...and continues financing the $1.4 trillion (annual cost) global guard service for multinationals...and de facto open borders for trade and immigration...

Then,  the middle-class will continue to see loose labor markets undercut wages, and social tensions (exacerbated by the M$M) will only get worse. 

Does "restore the American reputation around the world" include endless trade deficits, and gigantic outlays on overseas military bases? 11 aircraft carrier "strike forces"? 

This is institutionalized globalism, on steroids, on behalf of multinationals who have fiduciary obligations to shareholders that trump any loyalty to any nation.

If you doubt that, check out Apple, Disney and the NBA. 

Honoring WTO trade deals that specifically ignore many types of government subsidies? 

A black immigrant transexual will do far better in a US with tight labor markets than with intentionally loose labor markets. 

The globalists took great umbrage at the trade and immigration aspects of Trump's macroeconomic policies. 

Life for most Americans will not get better under Biden. 

Exactly Matt, Garbage in, garbage out. Trying to have a fact based conversation where people are actually listening to each other is just futile.

Ben:.and continues financing the $1.4 trillion (annual cost) global guard service for multinationals.

Not much with figures, right Ben? Are you sure that wasn't a 2 year total? You are  off by 100%!

FACT:US military spending amounted to $801 billion in 2021, a drop of 1.4 per cent from 2020. (under Biden)

Ben:A black immigrant transexual will do far better in a US with tight labor markets than with intentionally loose labor markets. 

Fact: That's total BS. As Matt says, It's the tightest labor market in 40 years! I talked to a hotel owner just today, who says it impossible to find workers. The same is true in the restaurants, and neither of these are corporate chains. This is affecting small business people. Never in recent memory has the U.S. needed workers so bad. Maybe in your old neighborhood in L.A. long ago Ben. But no white people now want these jobs.. Period!

Ben:The globalists took great umbrage at the trade and immigration aspects of Trump's macroeconomic policies.

And Trump turned out like a pussycat. And all of his hard core followers like you, drank that kool aid, and weren't sophisticated enough to fact check that, when all they really needed to do is ask themselves if their lives got any better. Biden is no great improvement, but he is the least globalist  President we've had in 40 years! I can tell you Wall Street and Corporate America do not like Biden's policies in the least. They'd much prefer Trump, and even though they don't like Obama, they'd even prefer him.

Ben:Does "restore the American reputation around the world" include endless trade deficits, and gigantic outlays on overseas military bases? 11 aircraft carrier "strike forces"? 

Maybe you should think about that, when you knee jerk demand a no fly zone in Ukraine when all the military leaders showed restraint, and saw it was clearly unnecessary. We can only be happy that the average a American citizen, not living in Thailand isn't clamoring with your zeal for action, and has also been exhibiting more restraint.

45 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Exactly Matt, Garbage in, garbage out. Trying to have a fact based conversation where people are actually listening to each other is just futile.

Ben:.and continues financing the $1.4 trillion (annual cost) global guard service for multinationals.

Not much with figures, right Ben? Are you sure that wasn't a 2 year total? You are  off by 100%!

FACT:US military spending amounted to $801 billion in 2021, a drop of 1.4 per cent from 2020. (under Biden)

Ben:A black immigrant transexual will do far better in a US with tight labor markets than with intentionally loose labor markets. 

Fact: That's total BS. As Matt says, It's the tightest labor market in 40 years! I talked to a hotel owner just today, who says it impossible to find workers. The same is true in the restaurants, and neither of these are corporate chains. This is affecting small business people. Never in recent memory has the U.S. needed workers so bad. Maybe in your old neighborhood in L.A. long ago Ben. But no white people now want these jobs.. Period!

Ben:The globalists took great umbrage at the trade and immigration aspects of Trump's macroeconomic policies.

And Trump turned out like a pussycat. And all of his hard core followers like you, drank that kool aid, and weren't sophisticated enough to fact check that, when all they really needed to do is ask themselves if their lives got any better. Biden is no great improvement, but he is the least globalist  President we've had in 40 years! I can tell you Wall Street and Corporate America do not like Biden's policies in the least. They'd much prefer Trump, and even though they don't like Obama, they'd even prefer him.

Ben:Does "restore the American reputation around the world" include endless trade deficits, and gigantic outlays on overseas military bases? 11 aircraft carrier "strike forces"? 

Maybe you should think about that, when you knee jerk demand a no fly zone in Ukraine when all the military leaders showed restraint, and saw it was clearly unnecessary. We can only be happy that the average a American citizen, not living in Thailand isn't clamoring with your zeal for action, and has also been exhibiting more restraint.

I admire your zeal as well.

The $1.4 trillion figure:

DoD+VA+black budget+pro-rated interest on the national debt. 

round numbers

$800 b + $300 b+ $100 b + $200 b

It is a fiction not to count VA budget as part of national debt. The black budget is what it is. Pro-rate interest payments are conservatively set in this example.  

---30---

As for "Americans won't do this work" and "we can't find anyone to work"---at what wage? 

American businesses have been fed a diet of cheap labor for 50 years. 

You are reaping the results. 

Plus unemployment calculations have undergone many changes in the last few decades so comparing today’s numbers with past is a misnomer, apples and oranges. It’s true that job openings aren’t being filled. Why is that? I don’t think it’s a lack of available bodies. Restaurant workers are grossly underpaid. I read that 50% of Americans don’t have $500 in the bank for emergencies. Does anyone truly think the term wage slave is inaccurate? 

5 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Does anyone truly think the term wage slave is inaccurate?

Well of course it is. But that's apple and oranges. You and I would favor a living wage. There are problems with that, in that a living wage in California is much higher than it is in Nebraska, for example. But you might be  surprised to know Paul, both you and I would like to see more effort in that regard.

The hotel owner has said he's raised wages 15% above the California  minimum wage of what $15.50 an hour, is it?

I was addressing Ben's assertion that it's a loose labor situation. The truth is, it's very tight. I'm always tired of simple answers for complex questions. Given the new more nationalist  oriented political immigration directions. The truth is, There are a lot of small businesses that are suffering.

This isn't an easy question. Naturally there are questions of temporarily lifting immigration to sustain the economy in that once people get in, it will be hard to get them out. I'm not an expert in these matters, but at least I know it.

A view from California.

Many fast food restaurants now pay $15 an hour to start here.

Whoopie! Sure sounds good...when you go back 30 years.

But now?

$2,400 a month gross pay. $15 X 160 hours.

Actual take home pay breakdown reality:

Federal taxes taken out usually 12 to 15%.  = $248 to $275.

State taxes taken out 3% to 10%.  = $100 to $150?

Social Security deduction rate 6.2%.  = $124.

SDI ... ?

Approximately $500+ total.

$1,800 left a month to live on.

Rent:

Average rent costs here for even a "one bedroom apartment" is now $1,600 to $2,400 if you are not on section 8 housing. Single homes rent from $2,400 to $4,000 a month. And these rent rates are in all our large and even smaller sized cities in Calif. now

Utilities...$100 to $200 minimum. 

Gas $6.60 for one gallon. Average person driving mileage is 800 to 1,000 miles a month.

At 22 MPG that is $250 to $300 a month.

Sales tax rate now 12%.

Food prices have exploded 30+% in last 1 and 1/2 years.

Basic car expenses besides gas...insurance, registration, upkeep ?

Clothing and other miscellaneous expenses? TV, telephone, internet costs?

Health care insurance costs through the roof with deductibles. No dental coverage available.

Average monthly take home pay ( not the gross monthly pay ) needed to meet these basic needs now?

At least $3,500 +.

Do the math.  $3,500+ versus $1800 actual take home pay?

Work pay versus the cost of living is a massive California public stress crisis now. Half of all those that used to describe their life styles and expenses as "middle class" here 30 to 40 years ago, are now describing themselves as in the "lower middle" class.

Millions of Californians on minimum wage or small SS or pensions barely hanging on with thousands breaking down monthly when one expense crisis hits and they end up living out of their cars or renting garages and couches.

I believe the greatest stress on over half of Californians by far now is economic.

The huge discrepancy between the actual cost of living versus actual full time work take home pay.

We have become a state of true haves and have nots. The divide is so stark now it's numbing. Way more people living in apartment houses versus homes. Especially families with children. Yet, millions of Californians are also living in million dollar homes just miles away.

Millions of 1st generation immigrants in Calif. aren't complaining. It's better than what they ran away from in Mexico and the rest of Central America. But millions of 2nd generation immigrants and multi-generational Californians have seen their daily standard of living drop to levels they never imagined. Middle class life in California up to the 1980's was affordable. Now?

Young people by the millions here refuse to get married and have kids because they can't afford to. They can't even afford to take care of themselves for the basic needs such as rent.

Well over half of the jobs in California are fast food, restaurant, gas station, store clerks, hotel housekeeping, service drivers, custodial, security guard, rest home, and other minimum wage manual labor jobs.

Professional jobs ...20%?

Edited by Joe Bauer

7 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Plus unemployment calculations have undergone many changes in the last few decades so comparing today’s numbers with past is a misnomer, apples and oranges. It’s true that job openings aren’t being filled. Why is that? I don’t think it’s a lack of available bodies. Restaurant workers are grossly underpaid. I read that 50% of Americans don’t have $500 in the bank for emergencies. Does anyone truly think the term wage slave is inaccurate? 

Does anyone truly think the term wage slave is inaccurate? --PB

From a friend still working in L.A.:

"What they call 'labor shortages' is my pathway to higher pay."

4 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

A view from California.

Whoopie! Sure sounds good...when you go back 20 years.

But now?

Actual take home breakdown reality:

SDI ... ?

Rent:

Average rent costs here for even a "one bedroom apartment" is now $1,600 to $2,400 if you are not on section 8 housing. Single homes rent from $2,400 to $4,000 a month. And these rent rates are in all our large and even smaller sized cities in Calif. now

Gas $6.60 for one gallon. Average person driving mileage is 800 to 1,000 miles a month.

Sales tax rate now 12%.

Health care insurance costs through the roof with deductibles. No dental coverage available.

Average monthly take home pay ( not the gross monthly pay ) needed to meet these basic needs now?

At least $3,000 +.

Do the math.  $3,000+ versus $1800 actual take home pay?

Work pay versus the cost of living is a massive California public stress crisis now. Half of all those that used to describe their life styles and expenses as "middle class" here years ago, are now describing themselves as in the "lower middle" class.

Millions of Californians on minimum wage or small SS or pensions barely hanging on with thousands breaking down monthly when one expense crisis hits and they end up living out of their cars or renting garages and couches.

I believe the greatest stress on over half of Californians by far now is economic.

The huge discrepancy between the actual cost of living versus actual full time work take home pay.

We have become a state of true haves and have nots. The divide is so stark now it's numbing. Way more people living in apartment houses versus homes. Especially families with children. Yet, millions of Californians are also living in million dollar homes just miles away.

Millions of 1st generation immigrants in Calif. aren't complaining. It's better than what they ran away from in Mexico and the rest of Central America. But millions of 2nd generation immigrants and multi-generational Californians have seen their daily standard of living drop to levels they never imagined. Middle class life in California up to the 1980's was affordable. Now?

Young people by the millions here refuse to get married and have kids because they can't afford to. They can't even afford to take care of themselves for the basic needs such as rent.

Well over half of the jobs in California are fast food, restaurant, gas station, store clerks, hotel housekeeping, service drivers, custodial, security guard, rest home, and other minimum wage manual labor jobs.

Joe-

America's middle-class has been obliterated, especially along the West Coast.

5 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

A forty hour workweek at $20 an hour after taxes is what? Living wage ain’t living. 

Paul-

Along the West Coast....

Two professionals working 60-hour weeks, maybe one or two kids, can live like a family of five 50-60 years ago with a working Dad in an ordinary job. 

120 hours of work today and you can live like a guy working 40 hours a week back in the 1950s and 1960s. 

That s what a half-century of open borders on labor and trade have done to America, along with very tight property zoning. 

5 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

A view from California.

Whoopie! Sure sounds good...when you go back 20 years.

But now?

Actual take home breakdown reality:

SDI ... ?

Rent:

Sales tax rate now 12%.

At least $3,000 +.

Do the math.  $3,000+ versus $1800 actual take home pay?

Work pay versus the cost of living is a massive California public stress crisis now. Half of all those that used to describe their life styles and expenses as "middle class" here years ago, are now describing themselves as in the "lower middle" class.

Thanks for this post Joe. 

23 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Thanks for this post Joe. 

Paul, I trust my accuracy in my numbers and time frames for the hyper-inflation.

I just went back and changed a couple of numbers in my first post.

What it takes regards take home pay income to live without financial stress.

$3,000 to $3,500.

California was affordable up until the mid-1980's. Then real estate inflation went nuts and along with it the rents. They've never gone down...always up.

Homes that are $3,500 a month rent now, were renting for $500 to $600 back then.

Gas $6.60 a gallon? 1 and 1/2 years ago it was 3.25 a gallon.

Kirk Galloway knows these numbers. He's a long time California resident.

I think those under this unprecedented economic stress here don't allow themselves to think about or face this reality too much. You don't want to think past each month as it comes. Too depressing.

There is also always a fear/dread of some major expense illness or tragedy hitting that will force you to face having to move to some less expensive but high crime area...or another state, which in itself could be a $10,000 to $15,000 expense. Which most people don't have.

Edited by Joe Bauer

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/a-great-purge-is-pushing-small-truckers-out-of-business-at-an-unprecedented-rate?utm_content=212564142&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-179175252108775

There recently was some blah-blah about “trucker shortages”  and that old truckers are quitting with no replacements and we need more truckers and Mexican-national truckers and rigs and so on. 

Now there is an over-supply of truckers. 

The best thing that can happen to America is very tight labor markets for several generations. 

Why the Donk establishment (not the voters) worship "free trade" and illegal immigration---bespeaks how deeply corrupted the establishment Donks have become. They link arms with the establishment 'Phants.

Yes, time to obliterate these two parties. 

• 1 month later...

I haven’t seen the film but, a mate posted this yesterday. It obviously touches on the Huxley/Orwell theme which I am fond of. @W. Niederhut would you care to give this some thought and unpack this one? Or @Steven Kossor

Could what is being suggested happen? If so, if it was, what would the world look like if it were?  

What if being bored just meant you were doing something that didn’t release dopamine or another happy chemical, in a world that ever increasingly people seek more and more instant dopamine releases, as they are addicted to many things from entertainment, drugs, sugar, coffee, alcohol etc.