The Education Forum

"The Assassination & Mrs. Paine" comes out this month

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is Part one of my review of Max Good's film on Ruth and Michael Paine: The Assassination and Mrs. Paine.  Its an interesting film and well done, on an ignored subject that was whitewashed by Thomas Mallon.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-reviews/the-assassination-and-mrs-paine-part-1

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Here is Part one of my review of Max Good's film on Ruth and Michael Paine

"We actually know why. Near the end of his life, DeMohrenschildt stated that, on his own, he would have never come near the Oswalds. J. Walton Moore, chief of the CIA station in Dallas, asked him to do so."

That's what he said. But the likelihood is that he knew he needed to give Epstein something new for the $4000 he was being paid.

"... and then had about $300,000 deposited into his account."

Hey, that's progress anyway-he said "about."

"...the Baron was either killed or took his own life by shotgun blast."

No evidence whatsoever he was murdered according to the official report.

"Priscilla always denied she was with the CIA. She even threatened to sue Jerry Policoff over this. It’s a good thing she did not, because as Max shows in the film, the ARRB pretty much sealed the deal on her. He shows the documents which categorize her as a “witting collaborator,” meaning that she did not need to be employed by them; they could rely on her to write sympathetic stories anyway."

The reason she was called a “witting collaborator” was likely because she reported to DCD. She was never an employee of the CIA and there is not one speck of evidence that she wrote anything at their behest.

"Further, both Ruth and Priscilla were producing evidence Oswald was in Mexico City..."

Bugliosi identified 14 (IIRC) points proving LHO was in Mexico City. Did the Paines sign the hotel register and take the photo of him too?

"Did Detective Buddy Walthers find the notes Michael kept of these meetings?"

No-see:

The Assassination and Mrs. Paine-Ruth Surveilled the Left? ~ W. Tracy Parnell (wtracyparnell.blogspot.com)

"One of the most interesting parts of the film is that it appears that Ruth has employed, or is good friends with, a veteran of the Defense Intelligence Service."

Jim should check Facebook more often. As I pointed out there it is "Defense Investigative Service" not an intelligence agency as Jim keeps trying to make out. They do things like security clearances as Joe Alesi mentioned in the film:

Federal Register :: Agencies - Defense Investigative Service

Stay tuned.

The whole 8 part series on the Paines by Carol Hewett, Steve Jones and Barbara LaMonica will be posted by tomorrow.

GD and Parnell will have a stroke. 

From my review, how many people recall this from Meagher:

Of the first generation of critics, Sylvia Meagher’s book devotes by far the most pages to the Paines. Perhaps, we should quote her overall impression of Ruth Paine in order to place Max’s film in perspective:

Ruth Paine…is a complex personality, despite her rather passive façade…Some examples from her testimony show a predisposition against Oswald and a real or pretended friendliness toward the FBI and other Establishment institutions, which should not be overlooked in evaluating her role in the case…Mrs. Paine is sometimes a devious person, and her testimony must be evaluated in that light. (Meagher, Accessories After the Fact, p. 217)

From my review, from Carol Hewett, hmm kind of interesting:

A provocative point Carol conveyed dealt with Ruth’s so-called discovery of Lee Oswald’s letter to the Russian embassy, which he wrote at her home over Memorial Day weekend, 1963. It’s the one referred to above that Ruth asked Jenner to question her about. In her testimony before the Commission, Ruth tried to explain why she took the rather remarkable step of picking the letter up, hand copying it, and eventually giving it to the FBI. She said that as she glanced at the letter, the first sentence contained a lie and she was insulted by Oswald using her typewriter to do such a thing. But if one buys the official story, which Ruth does, the first line of the letter, about Oswald visiting a Russian diplomat in Mexico City, was not a lie. Commission lawyer Albert Jenner understood that this made for a serious problem. He (wisely) decided to go off the record. Jenner knew they had to patch over Ruth’s story. (Probe, Vol. 4 No. 3, p. 17)

Edited by James DiEugenio

The letter story doesn't add up, imho. Oswald tried to hide the half-written content from her view by blocking the paper with his arms, but then he simply left the letter in an easily accessible place in her home?

When I saw Ruth Paine speak at an event near her home

in Santa Rosa in September 2013, she said when someone calls her about

the assassination, she first asks what the person's

attitude is about the Walker note she claimed

Oswald had written. Then she decides

whether or not to keep talking with that person. That's how

crucial that piece of what Oswald called "all this so-called

evidence" against him was and is to her story and

attempts to implicate him (she produced

the Walker note, which she may

have written or at least planted, after his death). She displayed a copy of the note

at the Santa Rosa event, which was carried on C-SPAN. A clip

of that event is seen in Max Good's documentary. I consulted

with Jim DiEugenio about what to ask her at the event; they

wouldn't allow direct questioning but made us put questions

in a container. They asked her only one of my two, but it

was a good one: Why is it that so much "evidence" kept

emerging from your home and garage after the police

and sheriff's department had already searched it

so thoroughly? Her eyebrows arched before she

gave a practiced but a little uneasy response to that question. 

Edited by Joseph McBride

This what I posted today on the film on Facebook: Max Good has made a fascinating, well-researched, provocative documentary on Ruth Paine, a likely collaborator with the CIA in the assassination of President Kennedy. THE ASSASSINATION AND MRS. PAINE is now available for viewing on iTunes, Amazon, Vimeo, and Google Play (it was released on June 14). Max persuaded Mrs. Paine to sit for extended interviews at her retirement home in northern California and confronts her with the evidence. Like the trained operative she is, she does her best to deflect most of the evidence, but these exchanges and the film's close scrutiny of this enigmatic Quaker woman's affect and evasions enables us to study her between lines. There are also interviews with both apologists for Ruth and her late husband, Michael, and with Kennedy assassination researchers who debunk her claims. I am among those given "Special Thanks" in the end credits; I met with Max early in his filmmaking process to discuss Ruth Paine and offer suggestions. I offered him more suggestions after seeing a 2020 rough-cut version of the film. Here is part one of a thoughtful commentary on the film by assassination. researcher Jim DiEugenio, who is among the interviewees in the film.

Edited by Joseph McBride

Nice one Joe.  Really.  And I recall that phone call.

And Denny, something really stinks about that whole letter to the Russian Embassy.

I am still trying to get Chris Newton to write something for K and K about it.  He thinks the whole moving the furniture exercise was BS.

Here is another vignette:

There had always been a question as to why the relationship between Ruth and Marina Oswald ended after the assassination. When Marina testified before the New Orleans Grand Jury, she addressed this. As we know, Marina was detained by the Secret Service for weeks afterwards. She told the jury, “I was advised by the Secret Service not to be connected with her (Ruth Paine)…She was sympathizing with the CIA.” When assistant Andrew Sciambra pursued that line, he asked her, “In other words, you were left with the distinct impression that she was in some way connected to the CIA?” The one word reply was, “Yes.” (Probe Vol. 7 No. 3, p. 3) Was this the reason the Secret Service returned the so-called Walker Note to Ruth? (James DiEugenio, Destiny Betrayed, second edition, p. 203)

Excellent. It has always seemed to me that the trails of crumbs 'connecting' Lee to the assassination seemed to end up with Ruth Paine. She was supposed to be untouchable. Glad that is no longer the case...

3 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

(she produced

the Walker note, which she may

have written or at least planted, after his death).

Except for (a) the note was written by Oswald according to expert handwriting analysis; (b) the note was in Marina's book where Marina said she hid it; and (c) not the slightest evidence Ruth wrote or planted it.

What a nasty, baseless, reprehensible (because baseless) smear.

But when you already know she's a witch, just anything that can be made up becomes truth doesn't it.

Thanks Pamela.

I Loved this scene.

As Greg Parker discovered, her sister, Sylvia Hyde Hoke, worked on a joint CIA/Air Force project. (Lee Harvey Oswald’s Cold War, pp. 266–68) One of the most pungent moments in the film is when Max calls Sylvia and asks for an interview. She instantly hangs up on him.