The Education Forum

Oswald's Light-Colored Jacket

Charles, the McBride book is the best there is on the TIppit case.

A real piece of kryptonite for Myers.  Who did not like its appearance.

You can get it for 30 bucks in ebook version.

Joe makes some interesting comments on wrong way Callaway. (pp. 478-79)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

...wrong way Callaway.

Callaway did not have to find out from Benavides which way the killer went.  Callaway watched the killer run down Patton and also saw him turn west onto Jefferson.

Mr. DULLES. May I ask what course he was taking when you last saw him?
Mr. CALLAWAY. He was going west on Jefferson Street.
Mr. DULLES. West on Jefferson Street?
Mr. CALLAWAY. Yes, sir.

Before you (once again) call Callaway a xxxx and say that Callaway didn't see the gunman turn west on Jefferson, I should inform you that Sam Guinyard was very near Callaway's position on the sidewalk on Patton and also saw the gunman turn west onto Jefferson.  Guinyard corroborates Callaway. 

"I saw a white man running south on Patton Street with a pistol in his hand. The last I saw of this man he was running west on Jefferson." -- Sam Guinyard (11.22.63 affidavit)

Mr. GUINYARD. Mr. Callaway followed him, you see, we was together--he was my boss at that time and he followed him.
Mr. BALL. Callaway?
Mr. GUINYARD. Yes; trying to see which way was he going.
Mr. BALL. And then, which way did he go after he got to Jefferson?
Mr. GUINYARD. He went west on Jefferson--on the right-hand side---going west.
Mr. BALL. And what did Callaway do?
Mr. GUINYARD. He turned around and run back to the street and we helped load the policeman in the ambulance.

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Bought it for $30 today. Thanks!

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I just started reading your latest, maybe after.

Welcome to you both.

2 hours ago, Charles Blackmon said:

Bought it for $30 today. Thanks!

You won't regret it.  Regarding the price, it's not just about Tippit and at 675 pages it does get deep on detail, well documented.  My copy says $38.50 on it, per my amazon history I paid 42 with shipping in April 2014.  I've folded the top corner on, in a rough count, 38 pages.  Another 8-10 flagged with upside down small post it notes sticking out.  I've referenced it countless times over the years.  I hesitated over the price back then but it's one of the top books I've ever read on the subject.  Worth the price if you can afford it, imho.

Is Joe going to cut me a check for advertising his book so much?

30 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Is Joe going to cut me a check for advertising his book so much?

An interesting point.

In Political Truth: The Media and the Assassination of President Kennedy: Joseph McBride: 9781939795618: Amazon.com: Books he addresses the Coincidence Theorists trope (not one of the nine noted) that researchers write books to make money.  Which he explains is horse dooky.  Searching for the Truth costs money.  In his case spending $100,000 over the years for a return so far of about $10,000 on Nightmare.

6 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Searching for the Truth costs money.  In his case spending $100,000 over the years for a return so far of about $10,000 on Nightmare.

Yes Ron, Jim D. made a statement in his post just a few days back regarding an interview he conducted in New Orleans, he said, "It pays to travel around."  I wonder how much Jim is in the red.  I'm sure many researchers/authors lost money on the quest, except maybe Posner & Bugliosi.

6 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Yes Ron, Jim D. made a statement in his post just a few days back regarding an interview he conducted in New Orleans, he said, "It pays to travel around."  I wonder how much Jim is in the red.  I'm sure many researchers/authors lost money on the quest, except maybe Posner & Bugliosi.

If you read Bugliosi, which hardly anyone has done completely, its pretty clear that Vince hardly left his house.  He was a phone guy.  He called NARA for a document, and he called people on the phone. I was surprised at that.  You would think that in all those years he would have gotten out of his chair to do some on the ground field inquiry. I could not find any evidence he did. When you are studying a place like New Orleans, its hard to get a fix on it from your house in Glendale.

7 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

At one point, I looked into this. While people like Lane, Lifton, Groden, and Livingstone made some money off the case, it wasn't much in comparison to the money made by Posner, Bugliosi, O'Reilly, and Swanson. Well, who's Swanson you might ask? Swanson is James Swanson, who wrote a series of young adult best-sellers detailing the assassination of Lincoln and the hunt for Booth. He wrote a dumbed-down re-telling of the assassination entitled End of Days (which relied almost entirely on the Warren Report) and was able to convince a prominent publisher to front him 1 million for his efforts. It was published to no acclaim and little audience, along with a heavily illustrated version of the book entitled The President has been Shot!. 

This last bit is quite telling, IMO. I doubt any prominent writer with a CT slant could get a million up front to write a book pushing the CT angle, although it would almost certainly sell more than Swanson's garbage. 

Perhaps Jim D can share with us the advance they got for his new book. This had a movie tie-in. And an association with Oliver Stone. Even so, I'd bet it was far less than 1 million. 

Edited by Pat Speer

I will say this, it was not remotely close to what Swanson got.