The Education Forum

SEPTEMBER FORUM FUNDING CONTRIBUTION ONLY

$353.99 (354.00) - $260.00 (1@ $10, 1 -50, 2-100 = 260) = $94, divided by $5 = 18.8 (19) members at $5.00 each.  Using the potentially needed $120 per month bandwidth (vs the current $70/mo. or $1100 yearly plan) that's $1440 a year.

$1440 - 260 = 1180.  Divided by 19 = $62 each still needed for another year per $5 contributing member.  

I was already on board for the $5 a month/$60 a year easy pay plan.  I could go a little higher if on a 2-3 month plan if needed to save the forum.

In another open pledge drive beyond the $5 limit others will donate significantly more, I think and hope. A few bigger ones can make a big difference.  E.G., 2 $100 ones already, with the $5 requested limit.     

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/11/2022 at 4:13 PM, Chris Davidson said:

Would you care to start a new topic asking for volunteers (publicly/privately) interested in the "financial overseer" position?

I will initiate this later today unless a prospect is already in the works.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that is a good question Ron.

At present we have sufficient funds to see us through to November. We will need a donation drive to get us through December and later. Kathy suggested that we might want to begin that drive around October so that this time we get ourselves ahead of the game. I think that is a good idea.

One issue I believe the forum needs to be aware of is that though Invision only charge us $70 it is now costing us around $90 to pay the $70 bill. That is due to the fall in the value of the £. The more the £ falls the more expensive that $70 cost is.

James

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 8:34 AM, James R Gordon said:

At present we have sufficient funds to see us through to November. We will need a donation drive to get us through December and later. Kathy suggested that we might want to begin that drive around October so that this time we get ourselves ahead of the game. I think that is a good idea.

One issue I believe the forum needs to be aware of is that though Invision only charge us $70 it is now costing us around $90 to pay the $70 bill. That is due to the fall in the value of the £. The more the £ falls the more expensive that $70 cost is.

James

To November.  Will we (or the archives) be here in six weeks?  Time for another short-term drive using existing methods?

I just checked-in ad found this thread. Donation made. Here is a link to the donation page:  https://educationforum.ipbhost.com/clients/donations/

With regard to bandwidth thresholds:

A while ago I deleted a few dozen music video threads that I had posted. These had generated over 20,000 views. I then sorted that sub forum by views and the first page accounted for some 1/4 million views. If the mods are comfortable doing so, hiding or deleting such threads could help keep us away from the next bandwidth threshold. Other areas of the forum could similarly be identified and considered for the same.

Cheers, Mike

On 9/6/2022 at 8:34 AM, James R Gordon said:

James

So is it time for this October pledge drive using the current format?  Maybe some of the new members (besides those few who have) will contribute.

9 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

So is it time for this October pledge drive using the current format?  Maybe some of the new members (besides those few who have) will contribute.

I'm willing to contribute, just let me know how much. 

The donations so far raised see the EF funded though to the end of November. After November we do not have sufficient money to pay the EF subscription.

I understood that Sandy was creating a separate system that had the distinct advantage of not requiring the cost to transfer funds from $ into £. This is a significant advantage in Sandy’s system because there would not be a loss of funds transferring $ into £ as well as the weakness of the £ in the UK. Although the subscription to Invision is $70 it now cost me $82 to pay the subscription from the UK.

I am happy to continue to make the Invision subscription but because of the economic conditions in the UK it is now more expensive if I am to do it.

A rough calculation suggests that from December 2022 to December 2023 would require us to raise around $1.000.

It is up to members. If members want me to continue making the payments until December next year it will require a donation of $1, 000. There is $20 still remaining in the donation fund.

James.

James,

My fundraising system is ready to go. Here is a link to it:

Education Forum Fundraiser

Since you have enough money in you donations account to cover us through November, I suggest we  use my system for the October donation drive. Which will be used to pay hosting fees beyond November.

If anybody wonders why my system is arranged as a fundraiser (using GoFundMe) instead of the forum's donation system, it has to do with tax regulations. Using the forum's donation system would require us to make the forum a non-profit organization and to file annual tax forms. In contrast, monies raised in a fundraiser are considered to be gifts, which, in America, are largely untaxed. Therefore there is no reason to register the forum as a non-profit organization.

Sandy,

I have had a look at your link.

I have no problems with your system - which has big advantages over mine - picking up at the end of November. How are you making payment to Invision. The EF will go black if Invision do not receive their payment by December 4th. 2022.

I have lost your bank details. Please send me them again and I will forward them to Invision for their approval.

James.