The Education Forum

Rolando Cubela. New essay by Jeff Morley

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this, David.  "His trial attracted reporters from all over the world", he worked with the CIA to assassinate Castro.  Yet his death is ignored by the US MSM.   

The above article links to another article about Jeff Morleys 2021 interview of Carl Jenkins. The link to that interview article is here:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/06/16/if-you-need-dirty-job-done-straight-talk-marine-vet-about-cia-plot-assassinate-castro.html

That article makes the following statement:

"When Jenkins returned from Vietnam to the Cuba program in early 1964..."

This line caught my eye because I thought Jenkins was involved in AMWORLD in the fall of 1963 before the JFK assassination. The Spartacus education profile on Jenkins reads as follows:

"Jenkins took his family with him [to Vietnam] but his wife and children returned in September, 1963.

In September, 1963, Jenkins wrote a memo about the activities of Manuel Artime (AM/BIDDY) and Rafael Quintero (AM/JAVA-4). He summarized his views about commando teams, infiltration teams, and guerrilla actions. The memo addresses military operations as Artime conceives them to be organized and conducted under a single organization in which the Cubans can have faith."

Additionally, when Gene Wheaton was alive he talked about Jenkins as though Jenkins was involved with AMWORLD in 1963. So according to Gene Wheaton and Sparticus Education, it would seem Jenkins was on U.S. soil (either US mainland or central America, or both, it doesn't really matter) in the fall of 1963 working on AMWORLD. 

So why does Morley write as though Jenkins was in Vietnam until early 1964? Was this just a slip up by Morley or did Jenkins actively mislead Morley in their 2021 interview as to Jenkins whereabouts and activities in the lead-up to the Nov 1963 JFK assassination?

On 10/7/2022 at 6:02 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Thanks for posting this, David.  "His trial attracted reporters from all over the world", he worked with the CIA to assassinate Castro.  Yet his death is ignored by the US MSM.   

Ron,

Morley sent a follow-up. Looks like the MSM was a bit late.

Washington Post Follows Up on My Cubela Story (substack.com)

To me this is one more are where recall can easily blur things like exact dates.  Clearly AMWORLD as a project started in 1963 and was administratively and logistically underway by early Fall.  Operationally it did not get underway until 1964.  Its highly probable Jenkins got his assignment o the project  before the end of 1963 and traveled back to the U.S. before he actually assumed his new day job with AMWORLD.  

Add a few decades of memory to those sorts of details and its easy to get minor variations in dates without it being particularly suspicious.  I've gotten dates on my own resume wrong when I chose to rely strictly on memory.,..

1 hour ago, Larry Hancock said:

To me this is one more are where recall can easily blur things like exact dates.  Clearly AMWORLD as a project started in 1963 and was administratively and logistically underway by early Fall.  Operationally it did not get underway until 1964.  Its highly probable Jenkins got his assignment o the project  before the end of 1963 and traveled back to the U.S. before he actually assumed his new day job with AMWORLD.  

Add a few decades of memory to those sorts of details and its easy to get minor variations in dates without it being particularly suspicious.  I've gotten dates on my own resume wrong when I chose to rely strictly on memory.,..

Can we therefore almost certainly rule out Jenkins as having any knowledge surrounding the JFK assassination? He arrived back from Vietnam way too near the assassination date even if he did arrive back before Nov 22 1963.

And of course if you rule out Jenkins, then that would seem to rule out Chi Chi Quintero, Jenkins sidekick, also.

3 hours ago, David Boylan said:

Gerry,

We don't see any indication that Jenkins was involved with AMWORLD until early 1964. 

He did tell Wheaton that it was people "he trained, worked with and worked for" that were involved.

I wonder if Jenkins gave the impression that he and the CIA were involved in assassinating JFK in order to build rapport and mend fences with the Cuban exiles after the BOP mess. In other words, he was trying to "prove" to the Cuban exiles that he and the CIA were serious about getting rid of Castro, so much so that they were willing to kill JFK to get him out of the way of hampering their efforts against Castro. A bit of bragadisio. 

In other words, Jenkins was trying to give the CIA credit for something that had nothing to do with them (the assassination of JFK) in order to impress the Cuban exiles and get the exiles on board for the CIAs next round of paramilitary efforts against Cuba. 

And then Gene Wheaton actually goes and takes this seriously, and tries to get Jenkins and Chi Chi Quintero immunity to tell Congress what they know.

Edited by Gerry Down

David B., Larry H., if I have this right, according to Wheaton, Jenkins claimed he recruited Oswald into the CIA when Oswald was in the Marines, and also claimed he was the CIA liaison to mob boss Marcello in New Orleans. How do you assess the credibility of Jenkins on those claims?

Edited by Greg Doudna

Greg,  I'm not sure where you got the part about recruiting Oswald, that is totally new to me.  Everyone needs to go back to the original information Wheaton provided to the ARRB, which was nothing more than a lead to two men who might have information on the assassination based on what they would have heard from their associates and people they had trained in earlier years.  Hopefully you have read our Wheaton lead papers which discuss what and what was not claimed in the contact with the ARRB.

Larry, here it is. Wheaton as reported in a 2005 publication by Law and Sobel, on the Spartacus site:

"Carl Jenkins formed the first Marine Corps Reserve Unit in New Orleans in Louisiana and was the CIA liaison officer between CIA headquarters and Carlos Marcello and organized crime in the area. Carl helped recruit Lee Harvey Oswald into the CIA while he was a marine... Lee was just a stooge they set up as part of a Operation Security Plan for deniability when they put a real dirty operation into place." (https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKwheaton.htm )

Is it plausible that there was a CIA-Marcello liaison? What would be the nature of that liaison relationship? What would they liaise about? Marcello was all domestic, and CIA is all non-domestic (cough cough), right? 

Greg, much of the information in those Spartacus bios is pretty old at this point and I have no idea where that came from...Jenkins was in the reserves in Louisiana at some point after WWII, that is part of the bio material on him Wheaton supplied to the ARRB.  However Jenkins was a military guy, seconded to the CIA for paramilitary tasks on occasion, as were a number of Army and Marine officers.  He was not a CIA officer himself.

The remarks about Marcello and a recruitment of Oswald appear to me to be pure speculation with nothing to support them other than geographic propinquity.  I don't know here the quote you referenced came from but I can say for sure that its in nothing that Wheaton submitted to the ARRB.

I know others have taken it further but for myself I've never gone beyond what Wheaton did say to the ARRB, which was basically that he heard conversations in which both Quintero and Jenkins were being told or disusing the fact that certain of their associates and trainees during the era of the Cuba projects had been involved in the attack on JFK.  I would stand by what David and I have written in the Wheaton lead monographs and in Tipping Point but anything beyond that is speculation.