The Education Forum

C.I.A. Man

9 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

The thing about our Monterey Peninsula however is you can safely walk right through these Pine tree woods and right up to it's sandy beaches and even climb upon some of it's interspersed rocky outcroppings. The towns of Pacific Grove and Carmel are the best locations for this experience.

My favorite spot in the area was Point Lobos.

Point-Lobos-for-Website.jpg

The place hardly had any visitors when I first discovered it 1981. Sadly, ten years later the parking lot was often full. But you could still enjoy a little solitude if you took one of the many trails away from the main areas. Which you're supposed to do anyway to catch many of the beautiful sites.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W. I saw the Allman Bros. abut a week before Duane Allman died.

Sandy, Point Lobos is beautiful. I was there last week, beautiful as ever!

Yes Joe , I would say the Monterey Peninsula is part of a coastal drive that starts near San Simeon,
and goes all the way up through  Fort Bragg in Mendocino County. First you wind your way up through Big Sur.to Carmel, Monterey , Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. I think Monterey is the aquatic center of the drive as the coast is very accessible, but you do have to pay $17 bucks to go though Pebble Beach, right?
Then it goes through the Bay Area and  S.F.which is  of course, very congested. I'm not much of a city person, but my sister lives there. I take the western artery through 280, and I've recently been through both Portland and Seattle and the traffic there can be worse!

Then Marin, Sonoma, Mendocino coasts are really dynamite and relatively unspoiled by tourists. There are some areas that are high off the Ocean that extend for 10 miles and  are like a greener Big Sur with a lot less tourists, but Big Sur isn't bad at all tourist wise from October to May.

11 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Addendum:  I was listening to the deservedly famous Fillmore East live recording of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed today, and I saw an interesting comment at YouTube about the Allman Brothers Band using psilocybin. 

Martin Buck:   "Some fun facts for those not in the know: The Allman Brothers Band loved spending time in Rose Hill cemetery in Macon, drifting away on magic mushrooms and playing. Dickie wrote this after "entertaining" Boz Scaggs' wife on a tombstone, and the inscription on this tombstone is the title for this track-- In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. The other unsung hero in this drama is Tom Dowd, who recorded these tracks in a truck behind the venue. His absolute mastery of technique and musical knowledge enabled him to splice together the highlights of three nights of recording into one double album. I have heard all the other versions of this masterpiece, including the raw tracks in their entirety, but the original released in 1971 is still the best, and fills the heart with awe and gratitude for the grandeur and vision of this epitome of Southern Rock at its finest."

W.- I learned Duane's solo in IMOER about 8 or so years ago.  His solo was a compilation of two night's recordings, and I found the splice area.  For several measures there are actually 3 guitars you can hear.

I feel the same as you about that song--absolutely my favorite ABB song.

I too, was a Jerry Brown fan.  A very authentic man ...like Jimmy Carter.

4 hours ago, Paul Bacon said:

W.- I learned Duane's solo in IMOER about 8 or so years ago.  His solo was a compilation of two night's recordings, and I found the splice area.  For several measures there are actually 3 guitars you can hear.

I feel the same as you about that song--absolutely my favorite ABB song.

The recording is fascinating in so many ways.  First of all, because they were all very good musicians.  Those boys could play the blues, gospel, and rock.

And it is an opus with complex, alternating melody lines between extended cadenzas/improvisations-- rock and roll that borrowed from jazz structures.  The Grateful Dead wrote some similar pieces, (e.g., Unbroken Chain) and YES took it to a whole new level of virtuosity.

The psilocybin story interests me because of the current research on the "therapeutic" potential of psychedelics.

Could music like In Memory of Elizabeth Reed or Unbroken Chain have been created without psychedelics?

I doubt it.

Edited by W. Niederhut

14 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

My favorite spot in the area was Point Lobos.

Point-Lobos-for-Website.jpg

The place hardly had any visitors when I first discovered it 1981. Sadly, ten years later the parking lot was often full. But you could still enjoy a little solitude if you took one of the many trails away from the main areas. Which you're supposed to do anyway to catch many of the beautiful sites.

Yes, I forgot Point Lobos. You certainly know the MP for sure.