The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

It really is a big deal here.  They are expecting traffic jams in a small town like ours (20K, 35 with the college).  Hotel rates have tripled and quadrupled.  Five different venues hosting events, plus one tonight at the University's Huneywell ranch outside town where the telescope is.  They are hosting tomorrow also, opening up the football stadium as a place to view.  In case of overcast skies they are streaming it in a live feed from NASA, plus beforehand showing an Eclipse Over Texas video on the giant screen.  I feel sure there will be hot dogs, popcorn and maybe even beer available.

I wonder if they will bring out the band and the cheerleaders, maybe a speech from the President and/or Dean of Science, who I used to work for as a Department Head.     

Free t-shirts while they last from the chamber of commerce and visitors center, as well as "viewers".  Or, you can still order an official TSU Eclipse shirt from the book store for $27.99.

I think I'll go, pending traffic, I do know a back way in.  It sounds potentially like a carnival atmosphere.  I wonder if the suites will be open, though not a good viewing spot if you're looking up.

Might they be doing this?

How to Sync Pink Floyd’s ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’ With the Solar Eclipse (msn.com)

North Texas hotels, rental cars and Airbnbs are almost sold out ahead of eclipse, despite cloudy forecast (msn.com)

Thousands camp around Texas for solar eclipse | wfaa.com

On 4/6/2024 at 10:35 PM, Ron Bulman said:

I'm in the dark Monday.  My wife bought glasses so we can see the light, around the moon, without damaging our eyes.  It's a big deal here.  We're on the edge of total darkness.  Lotsa people coming to observe from closer to the center, nationwide, world wide.  

I had to laugh in Wal-Mart today, at the T-shirts.  NWS says we have a 50% chance of rain by 4:00 PM.  A good chance it could be cloudy by I think it's currently 1:39. I hope to see a historical event but if not it's just another Stormy Monday I guess.

Ron,

Technically, Stormy Monday is April 15th-- at least for Donald Trump.

If Trump's MAGA bombers don't manage to kill Judge Merchan first, I don't see how Trump is going to avoid a conviction in his Stormy Daniels hush money case in New York.

c7nvz043lbra1.jpg

Smith delivered a 66-page condemnation of the former president's claim that his actions between the 2020 presidential election and U.S. Capitol riots on Jan. 6, 2021, are beyond the reach of prosecution in the special counsel's federal election interference case.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/23/23-939/306999/20240408191803801_United States v. Trump final for filing.pdf

Steve Thomas

Georgia Woman Goes On Highway Shooting Spree, Says God Told Her To Because Of Eclipse: Police

A 22-year-old woman was arrested by Florida Highway Patrol after shooting two drivers on Monday.

AP Apr 8, 2024,

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/woman-says-god-told-her-eclipse-shooting-spree-police_n_66147707e4b0743395c2f12d

BONIFAY, Fla. (AP) — “A woman checked out of a Florida hotel and told staff that she was going on a God-directed shooting spree because of the solar eclipse, then shot two drivers on Interstate 10 before being arrested and charged with attempted murder Monday, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. “

“Troopers stopped the woman after she drove for about 16 miles (26 kilometers) and found her with an AR-15 rifle and 9mm handgun.”

I don't know why they stopped her. MTG told everybody that God was talking to us through the eclipse.

Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

Georgia Woman Goes On Highway Shooting Spree, Says God Told Her To Because Of Eclipse: Police

A 22-year-old woman was arrested by Florida Highway Patrol after shooting two drivers on Monday.

AP Apr 8, 2024,

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/woman-says-god-told-her-eclipse-shooting-spree-police_n_66147707e4b0743395c2f12d

BONIFAY, Fla. (AP) — “A woman checked out of a Florida hotel and told staff that she was going on a God-directed shooting spree because of the solar eclipse, then shot two drivers on Interstate 10 before being arrested and charged with attempted murder Monday, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. “

“Troopers stopped the woman after she drove for about 16 miles (26 kilometers) and found her with an AR-15 rifle and 9mm handgun.”

I don't know why they stopped her. MTG told everybody that God was talking to us through the eclipse.

Steve Thomas

One of the many reasons we need vastly improved gun control legislation in the U.S.

One of my former patients at the state hospital here, about 40 years ago, was a woman who heard voices telling her to "shoot the village people."

She walked into a local library and shot a man-- a total stranger-- who was sitting in the library reading a book.

Shocking survey results in this morning's Washington Post fact-checker.
The charts won't copy, so I'll summarize a few of the most shocking findings, for WaPo non-subscribers.

1)  37% of Repubs still do NOT believe Russia interfered in our 2016 election!
2)  70% of Repubs believe Biden was elected in 2020 because of voter fraud!
3)  Almost 50% of Repubs still believe that human activity has not contributed to climate change! 
4)  About 33% of Repubs do not believe that unemployment is close to a 50 year low.

Which Trump lies stick? Republicans believe some falsehoods more than they did six years ago, our poll finds.
www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/04/09/some-trump-falsehoods-stick-more-than-others-fact-checker-poll-finds/

April 9, 2024

Edited by W. Niederhut

"Bloomberg reported this week that TMTG (Trump Media and Technology Group - the one that owns Truth Social) said in recent filings that it will keep the BF Borgers accounting firm as its auditor."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-auditor-100-percent-deficiency/

"Bloomberg said this Colorado-based firm has a history of being flagged for failures in its auditing, including a "100% deficiency rate" in audits reviewed by the U.S. watchdog, the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) in the past two years."

Well, of course they're going to keep them.

Steve Thomas

Believe me, I'm not taking sides, I just want to point out a fact. That photo of Rita Palma standing beside Looney Bird Powell means nothing because we don't know if it's real or not. With photoshopping and AI today we can't know if anything's real. And just wait till tomorrow!

For all we know, even the Zapruder film, going all the way back to 1963, was tampered with. (There's been a rumor to that effect.)