The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/26/2024 at 1:42 AM, W. Niederhut said:

Tribute to John Mayall

Just saw that Jerry Miller, lead guitarist & 805 co-writer for Moby Grape has also left the building.

Always liked Mayall.  Saw him open for ZZTop.

A list of the big names still in the building from 1963-72 (the real 60s) includes but is not limited to:

* Bob Weir & Phil Lesh 

* Jorma, Grace & Jack Cassidy from the Airplane

* Carlos Santana

* Ray and Dave Davies 

* Pete & Roger

* Ringo & McCartney

* Ian Anderson

* Justin Hayward 

* Mick & Keith

* Rod Stewart & Ronny Wood

* Garth Hudson

* Richard Thompson

* Ry Cooder

* Taj Mahal

* Linda Rondstadt 

* Rodger McGuinn & Chris Hillman

* Elton J

* John McGlaughlin

* Stills & Young

* Brian Wilson

etc.

It's starting to approach the size of a Ringo's Allstar Band.

Bill,

I've been a Jorma fan for 50 years, since his acoustic Quah album with Tom Hobson.

Quah had a major impact on me, and I've been playing some of those songs since high school.

Two of my Jorma covers (by Blind Blake and Rev. Gary Davis) are on my Guillermo Ambrose Soundclick page. 

I only saw Jorma in concert once-- at a crowded club in Boston, in (?) 1979.

Bob Dylan

Iggy Pop

George Clinton

Jimmy Page

Diana Ross

Joan Baez

Joni Mitchell

Elvin Bishop

Quincy Jones

Ozzy

Van Morrison

Eric Burdon & Alan Price

Al Kooper

Dave Edmunds

John Fogerty

Roger Waters

Cyril Jordan

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Voters to choose between two starkly different candidates in US ‘Armageddon election’

The road that led here began with the election of Barack Obama, America’s first Black president, in 2008. For millions of Americans, Obama represented hope; for millions of other Americans, he represented fear that the country they grew up in was disappearing. Whereas white Christians made up 54% of the US population in 2008, they have now slipped into the minority and make up only 44%.

The Guardian has really interesting articles but I think this goes back farther than Obama.

- Donald Trump -

"We will be creating so much electricity that you'll be saying, please, please, President, we don't want any more electricity. We can't stand it. You'll be begging me, no more electricity, sir. We have enough. We have enough."

This is the crazy man who wants to be our President.

Steve Thomas

17 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

453222881_10161931498761228_303333033466

Honestly Matt, I can barely  agree on anything she says here. And the writing is so big I can't copy it!

He held his party united, avoided a bruising and expensive primary.

He's an old guy who bullshitted himself, and some of us were telling you that a year ago. Unlike her, I would have much sooner had Joe step down and have a real primary among real candidates and I know we'd be farther ahead of Trump than we currently are. As I said earlier, any one of 4 candidates could have been further ahead by now.

Joe made sure Kamal didn't have to fight through multiple challengers?

Isn't that what your supposed to do in a Democracy? Or are we just suppose to coronate Kamala for her connection to Biden?

.Waited until the GOP locked themselves into a bad VP choice and formally nominated Trump.

Biden had no choice on that. As I mentioned at the time,  the people forcing Biden out would silently gain the momentum and wait until after the GOP convention to misdirect the GOP..

Then galvanized the party around Kamala in short order in plenty of time to make sure our convention is cohesive.

That'd the only thing she's said where she's not talking completely out of her ass! Biden endorsed Harris, Harris then said she'd have to earn it, and no one else wanted to be looked at as so  ambitious to throw their hat in the ring. Kamala instantly went to the delegates and I guess she earned it? But it's true, under the unusual circumstances , it was important that the convention not be too divisive.

Well Pam, I'm glad Joe could end up denying everybody else  as he "made sure Kamala didn't have to fight multiple challengers" and "then galvanized the party around Kamala",  just for you! 

There's been a Maga Blue denial going on with Biden for a couple of years,  and now there's Maga Blue reverie!  Until after the convention, there''s still a possibility Harris can gain ground over Trump, as I said earlier any one of 3-4 candidates could be up as much as 4-5 points on Trump after the convention. But if Harris is only up by 2-3%,  it's a super close race and Harris does have a bit of baggage some of the other Dem candidates don't.

But  as far as history is concerned. All the good things that Biden did domestically will fall by the wayside if Harris isn't  elected. Biden's pride and denial in confronting his limitations and his collapse in his debate will be what caused Trump to be elected and throw Democracy in peril! If she wins, he's a little tarnished, but good!

Cliff- possibly my biggest missed-show regret is not seeing the Groovies when they played a small club here in Chicago called the Beat Kitchen a few years back. I have no idea what the hell I was thinking. My head was clearly up mu ass on that one. They still play shows, but basically never leave Northern California now.

6 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Bob Dylan

Iggy Pop

George Clinton

Jimmy Page

Diana Ross

Joan Baez

Joni Mitchell

Elvin Bishop

Quincy Jones

Ozzy

Van Morrison