The Education Forum

Sixty

23 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

What Happened In 1963 - Historical Events 1963 (eventshistory.com)

Not on this list.

6/10  JFK's American University Peace speech.  Same day he signed the equal pay (gender) act.

6/11  Incomplete.  Alabama Governor George Wallace stands at entry door to the University of Alabama to prevent Black students from entering.  JFK had sent Asst. AG Katzenbach and federalized the Alabama National Guard.  GW stood aside.  That evening he proposed what would become the 1964 Civil Rights Act on national TV.  

After a miscarriage in 1955 and a stillborn child in 1956 Patrick Bouvier Kennedy was born 8/7/63, 5 /12 weeks early and passed on 8/9.  Ultimately, Jackie lost a son and a husband 3 1/2 months apart. 

October 24, U S Ambassador to the United Nations Adali Stevenson is spat upon and hit with a placard in Dallas.

Stanley Marcus among others advised him not to go to Dallas.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Koufax and Drysdale demolished my Yankees in the World Series.  Oh well,  Lou Brock and Bob Gibson brought me into Cardinal fandom in 1968.  RFK congratulated Drysdale for his shutout record on the night of June 5,1968.  

On 5/24/2023 at 10:57 PM, Ron Bulman said:

This was part of tv for me in 1963.  The last 30 seconds are worth watching if the rest is not of interest.

I've alluded to this before but what I remember about the JFKA is the funeral (empty saddle, backward boots) and the interruption of normal TV programing.  

I usually went home after school and watched 1-2 hours of TV.  Lassie, Superman reruns, the Lone Ranger.  Cartoons, Mighty Mouse and Popeye, too violent for cartoons today, but not video games.

Sent back home after lunch by the crying teacher there were no cartoons, Lassie or Superman that afternoon.  Nor on Saturday morning which usually featured Roy Rogers and Tarzan and more.  I do remember mother and dad watching TV on a Saturday afternoon, unusual.

Sunday morning had a few cartoons on usually before church, if we went on a given Sunday.  Finally, about 10:00 Denver time I found a cartoon.  A Christian one I didn't usually watch.  Good chance it was what I was watching when Ruby shot Oswald. 

5 hours ago, Ken Davies said:

Davey and Goliath?

Quite likely.  Now that you mention it, I remember watching that one a few times.

We only had the Canadian Broadcasting Co., CBS and NBC for tv channels back then.  Few toons to watch, but plenty of westerns and old movies.

55 minutes ago, Ken Davies said:

We only had the Canadian Broadcasting Co., CBS and NBC for tv channels back then.  Few toons to watch, but plenty of westerns and old movies.

We had only CBS, NBC, ABC, and a local KWGN television channel in Denver in those days, with occasional Denver Public Schools shows on PBS (no 24/7 programming.)

We also watched a lot of westerns, including Bonanza, The Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Laramie, Rawhide, Wagon Train, Cheyenne, etc.

Once or twice a year we could also watch the Wizard of Oz, (in B&W) Ben Hur, and Richard Burton in The Robe.

Edited by W. Niederhut

One of the few plays I've ever seen was The Wizard of Oz at about 7 years old (1964?) at Lincoln High School in Denver.  It wasn't nearly as scary as the film.  Which once sent me running from watching it alone in the living room to my mother's side in the kitchen.

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

One of the few plays I've ever seen was The Wizard of Oz at about 7 years old (1964?) at Lincoln High School in Denver.  It wasn't nearly as scary as the film.  Which once sent me running from watching it alone in the living room to my mother's side in the kitchen.

Yes, those flying monkeys were scary when I was 4 years old. So was Cyril Ritchard as Captain Hook, in the Peter Pan film with Mary Martin.

I watched Peter Pan with my daughters 40 years later, when they were little, and realized that Cyril Ritchard was side- (and pants-) splittingly hilarious as Captain Hook.

Edited by W. Niederhut

8 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Yes, those flying monkeys were scary when I was 4 years old. So was Cyril Ritchard as Captain Hook, in the Peter Pan film with Mary Martin.

I watched Peter Pan with my daughters 40 years later, when they were little, and realized that Cyril Ritchard was side- (and pants-) splittingly hilarious as Captain Hook.

Never seen this one before.

12 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Never seen this one before.

Ron,

Since this is a nostalgia thread about the early 60s, I should mention that I met the Scare Crow, Ray Bolger, when I was a little boy.

Bolger bought the AAA Bowling alley in Denver in about (?) 1961, and signed autographs for the public.  My mother took us to see him, and I remember watching him bowl, before he signed some autographs.

He didn't seem very friendly or enthused about the crowd from our working class neighborhood.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:07 AM, James DiEugenio said:

If we are going to get into culture affairs from the good old days, let us not forget one of the greatest films in English ever, and its a spectacle of all things.

This might be the best scene in it except for the ending. To put it mildly, they don't make them like this anymore: 1962.

I've been avoiding this subject because I'm no film expert.  I don't want to embarrass myself with members like Joseph McBride, Jim and others.  We went to the drive in and I fell asleep in 1963.

Naturally a google search of top films of 1963 first reveals first the top grossing films per wikipedia.  Cleopatra, How The West Was Won, Mad Mad world, Tom Jones, Irma La douche.  I liked number two and ten watching re runs later, The Great Escape.  My tase and memory is obviously limited.

I've came across a few non mentioned favorites but for now here is what the Academy Awards had to say.

1963 | Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

6 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Naturally a google search of top films of 1963 first reveals first the top grossing films per wikipedia.  Cleopatra, How The West Was Won, Mad Mad world, Tom Jones, Irma La douche.  I liked number two and ten watching re runs later, The Great Escape.  My tase and memory is obviously limited.

I've came across a few non mentioned favorites but for now here is what the Academy Awards had to say.

Not included, but if memory serves, was supposed to have had its movie premier in New York on 22nd November '63, but cancelled due to Dallas & re-scheduled into '64, my all time fav b/w Dr. Strangelove.