The Education Forum

Life Magazine November 8th, 1963. Just 14 days prior to Assassination

FYI.....

Google Books is a fine resource for many complete copies of books and magazines, such as very old LIFE Magazine issues. But Google Books doesn't have anything online for LIFE Magazine newer than the year 1972.

Oldest LIFE edition (August 17, 1953) --- Click Here.

Newest LIFE edition (December 29, 1972) -- Click Here.

And (if you're interested)....I have a page on one of my JFK websites featuring 46 LIFE Magazine issues focusing on JFK and the Kennedy family (and I've also saved a bunch of the cool full-page advertisements that LIFE used to run in their issues in the '50s and '60s)....

http://DVP's JFK Archives / Life With John F. Kennedy

Edited by David Von Pein

How can anyone see how the Bobby Baker scandal just went away the minute LBJ became president and not see the corruption of LBJ himself?

The serious criminal investigation of LBJ himself also disappeared.

LBJ got his protege Malcolm Wallace off scot-free after Wallace was found guilty of murder with malice by a Texas jury. 

One of the most outrageous corruptions of justice in Texas history.

Why do people even try to portray LBJ as anything but a totally corrupt man and politician? When there is so much factual evidence proving this?

It's not even a debatable proposition.

5 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

FYI.....

Google Books is a fine resource for many complete copies of books and magazines, such as very old LIFE Magazine issues. But Google Books doesn't have anything online for LIFE Magazine newer than the year 1972.

Oldest LIFE edition (August 17, 1953) --- Click Here.

Newest LIFE edition (December 29, 1972) -- Click Here.

And (if you're interested)....I have a page on one of my JFK websites featuring 46 LIFE Magazine issues focusing on JFK and the Kennedy family (and I've also saved a bunch of the cool full-page advertisements that LIFE used to run in their issues in the '50s and '60s)....

http://DVP's JFK Archives / Life With John F. Kennedy

A nice resource for us nostalgia buffs. Thank you!

48 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Didn't an issue planned for the week after the assassination about LBJ's corruption get pulled before publication because of it?

There it is!  Knew I read it.  Youse guys, y'all need to read this book, anyone who has not.  Not just for this but let's say the developing at the time foundation of the author's 56 years thread.  JFK to today in the media.  A little more in cost than many books on the subject, some are worth it.  Essential to understanding imho.

Political Truth: The Media and the Assassination of President Kennedy: Joseph McBride: 9781939795618: Amazon.com: Books

From page 108.

"On the very day of the assassination, Johnson had been in a state of anxiety because the scandal over his finances was about to break.  Prodded by Robert Kennedy and others who wanted Johnson off the ticket in 1964, Life had a task force of nine reporters meeting with the magazines' managing editor at that very moment in New York discussing a blockbuster expose' series on "Lyndon Johnson's Money" that might have began running in the November 29 issue.  . . . The scandal was breaking fast . . . ,  but news of the assassination caused the meeting to be abruptly terminated, and the expose' did not run,"

I just saw a copy of this Life issue in an antique/thrift store last weekend. They had a ton of issues from ‘63 and ‘64 but none of the JFKA ones unfortunately. 

I did score a first edition hardcover of Six Seconds in Dallas for 10 bucks though.